New User
SMOInformation
0 Kudos

Confused~in~Connecticut and would love help~

Thinking (and thinking and thinking) about getting a Nook. Can't make up my mind and now I am reading that they might be coming out with a new one and they "freeze" up and "pages take a while to turn". What's the REAL story here people? I love books (duh) and some of them will have to buy in paper anyway but a majority would read on a Nook. But I don't want any hassle, which is what I am hearing I would have. BKS will have to fix a bunch of things here if I am hearing things correctly, before I consider buying one and then, when I do buy one they better not come out with a new one a month later or else they will have a very unhappy customer, and a very good customer at that. And what's the deal with not being able to use your card with the Nook. No discount on books? Am I truly overthinking this? Maybe/Maybe not. Anyone wishing to comment to point me in a direction, please feel free! Can't figure it out. And with updates, once you buy it do you pay for updates or do you "just get them"? And please don't tell me they send you garbage to read on the Nook about New Releases or upcoming events. I don't want ads on my Nook. There I go again, OverThinking. Oh well, comments please! Confused~in~CT~ Thanks all!
Confused~in~Connecticut~
Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Re: Confused~in~Connecticut and would love help~

There are no ads on the nook, no worries there...

You cannot use your membership for anything nook related (coupons either) so that's a loss...

You can purchase from MANY other sources, and some of those vendors will allow discounts or coupons so that's what *I* do, your choice of course as to what you would do.

You can borrow from the public library if your library has eBooks...

I haven't had problems with my nook and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

BUT, if you are going to be that upset if a new one comes out a month later, honestly, new technology is not an area you are going to feel comfortable in.  It happens with everything, eReaders, phones, mp3 players, computers...

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Just remember - in online forums, you almost never hear from the vaste majority of folks, like myself, who have a perfectly working Nook. Very few people are going to take the time & effort to post "everything is working great!" - actually, I wouldn't want them too :smileyhappy: The only thing that took me a bit to get used to is the fact the page flashes all black, then back to black text on white background every page turn.

And it is true that you can't use B&N discounts or rewards on eBooks. It's still a young industry and all the players are trying to figure it out. There's a core group of eBook publishers that don't allow it and B&N, I think, has decided to make it "easer" on all and just say no discounts on all of them. Some companies, like Borders, allow coupons on some books. But I still think a large majority of the books are done by what is called the "Agency 5" group, which don't allow them anywhere.

Updates are free, at least so far.

There is a page called "the daily", that has some daily blog posts, and mentions of free or discounts or whatever, but it isn't anything you need to look at.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have had my nook since late January - so it's been over 6 months.

I consider myself a heavy reader, reading at least 2 hours daily and some days as much as 10.

I almost exclusively use the buttons for turning pages (I have no problem swiping, but prefer the buttons).

My NOOK is configured with: Airplane mode - OFF, Sleep Timer - 10 minutes, Auto Adjust Brightness - ON, Touch Screen Timer - 30 seconds. WiFi - On.

I have had NO freezing issues with my NOOK.

I get approximately 4 days on a charge of my nook.

I have not experienced a cracked button.

I read the daily most weekdays.

I have purchased book from B&N, and Baen, as well as downloaded free content from project Gutenberg. ALL the books opened with no issues on the NOOK.

I have not tried loading library books on my NOOK yet. I've just been to lazy to go renew my library card in person, even though my county has an extensive eBook collection.

Since buying my NOOK there has been a $50 gift card promotion, a $60 price cut, and a new WiFi only model introduced. I have not complained about any of that and still feel my NOOK was a good purchase decision.

As far as being pissed off because a new version comes out after you buy yours, or it goes on sale after you buy it.

THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE MUST F!#@$#%$^%&* STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT!!!!!!

Cest la vie - new versions of things come out all the time. I personally would be most upset if I was denied purchasing a newer, better NOOK because you hadn't had your current version long enough.

Someone is ALWAYS going to be the last person to purchase the old one before a new one is released.

New User
SMOInformation
0 Kudos

ok all that have replied, thank you.  i am overthinking this.  just buy it, use it, deal when another comes out and go from there.  thank you for your user information which is exactly what i was looking for and

"THAT HAS GOT TO BE THE MUST F!#@$#%$^%&* STUPID THING I HAVE EVER HEARD PEOPLE COMPLAIN ABOUT!!!!!!"

YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!  I must be totally loosing it about this Nook.  Just buy it and get it over with.  Thank you so much!!  And everyone's else's comments were very helpful also.  Just a case of "woman thinking too much" and for goodness sake, WHY!!!????~~~ 

Thanks!  Off to buy it tonight and be done with it.  :smileyhappy:  Much appreciated!

Confused~in~Connecticut~
Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

Yay! I don't think you'll regret it at all. The only thing I say is to buy a cover for it while you're there. I just picked up this one and it really works well. Nook is safely ensconced in it, it backfolds completely and has a little pocket for papers.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

"do you pay for updates or do you "just get them"?"

Oh no, that would be our friends from Apple that like to charge for "free" updates.  :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I have not tried loading library books on my NOOK yet. I've just been to lazy to go renew my library card in person, even though my county has an extensive eBook collection.

****Larry, you should really do this!

Someone is ALWAYS going to be the last person to purchase the old one before a new one is released.

****So true!

Inspired Correspondent
DblGee
0 Kudos

I love my Nook!  It wouldn't matter to me if they came out with a new one tomorrow - even if I only had it a few months - it was worth what I paid for it because I've gotten that much enjoyment out of it - and yes - I'd probably buy the new one too and would wind up using both <laugh>

Inspired Contributor
writeway
0 Kudos

I'm in CT as well, and have no regrets about buying my nook before the newer version came out and missing the chance at the gift card. I read several hours a day and have no problems with battery life. I did have my trouble with my first Nook, but it was exchanged by mail within two business days and I have had no problems since then.

I have purchase quite a few books, and love Free Fridays, which have introduced me to authors and genres I hadn't considered before.  B&N also has specials once in a while, such as the free classics offered over July 4th weekend.

I 'overthought' for a long time, trying to decide between Nook and Kindle and the Sony Reader.  I tried all three and am thrilled with the Nook.  Friends with the Reader and Kindle are jealous but I let them use my Nook once in a while...I say go for it..and enjoy!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually I do have one MAJOR regret - I missed out on the free cookie while waiting for my NOOK to be delivered.

I am VERY upset with B&N over this and if they do not send me a cookie I will return my NOOK, hang out on these boards and advise everyone of what a terrible company B&N is (since they cheat loyal customers out of their rightful cookie), and picket the local store carrying a sign demanding my cookie.

EDIT: I shouldn't have to say that all of the above is said sarcastically, but with some of our board members I thought I better. Unless B&N really wants to send me a cookie - in that case I meant every word :smileywink:

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Well, I missed out on the 7 layer cookie because the B&N closest to me didn't have it, so I had to settle for a brownie.:smileysad:  Plus, no one told me I'd spend money on coffee and tea while I was there!

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

gqb wrote:

Well, I missed out on the 7 layer cookie because the B&N closest to me didn't have it, so I had to settle for a brownie.:smileysad:  Plus, no one told me I'd spend money on coffee and tea while I was there!

While I tryed almost daily to get the brownie instead!  My store never ran out of the 7 Layer Cookies...

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

The cafe still had to break even on that deal.  I would suspect most people who got their cookie got something to drink whether it was basic coffee or something more elaborate.

Frequent Contributor
ScrappersNook
0 Kudos

Glad to see you are going to get a nook...you will not regret it.  Had mine since January, missed out on the gift card and price reduction, but I have downloaded in excess of 75 free books from B&N so missing out on those promotions didn't bother me a bit.  Love my nook, never had an issue from day one, and the best of all is the ability to borrow ebooks from the library without ever having to leave the house.  I use the swish method for page turning and love that feature.  

The old saying is 'people that are unhappy with something will tell 10 people, and the people that are happy with something will likely tell 1 person...so that's why there are probably more complaints on this board than there are 'love my nook' posts. 

Then there are people like me that tells everyone all about the nook and tries to convince them to buy one.....so....there you have it.  Velva

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

Actually I do have one MAJOR regret - I missed out on the free cookie while waiting for my NOOK to be delivered.

I am VERY upset with B&N over this and if they do not send me a cookie I will return my NOOK, hang out on these boards and advise everyone of what a terrible company B&N is (since they cheat loyal customers out of their rightful cookie), and picket the local store carrying a sign demanding my cookie.

EDIT: I shouldn't have to say that all of the above is said sarcastically, but with some of our board members I thought I better. Unless B&N really wants to send me a cookie - in that case I meant every word :smileywink:

Larry if you come into my B&N I will buy you a cookie

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

What are these free cookies you speak of? No one offered me a cookie at B&N when I bought my Nook. Perhaps I was too eager to make my purchase. If I had hedged a little maybe they would have sweetened the pot with a  sweet, sweet cookie.

When I go to B&N tomorrow I will march right up to the Nook counter, look the Nook expert in the eye and tell him or her, um, well, I probably won't say anything. I will probably just smile, walk away and go into the cafe and buy my own damncookie. I'm non-confrontational like that.

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Back in May they had a promotion on the nook for a free cookie.  You had to have your nook in the store and hooked up to their wifi.  In June, it was free coffee.

Definitely take your nook to B&N if you're going.  With the "more in store", you have the ability to read a book for an hour.  There's a list to choose from and they're usually current releases.