Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
BFenny
0 Kudos

Connected, No Internet..... STILL!!

I know this is beaten to death, but I have looked at every post on here and NOTHING has worked for me yet!!! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP! =(

I just got my Nook (noncolor) last week. The WiFi works fine at my job and Starbucks. But it will not give me internet at my house! I find my SSID perfectly fine. It is WPA2-PSK [AES], so I put in the passcode and it connects. When I go to SHOP, it says"Network Unavailable - Please make sure you have network connectivity"
I have a Netgear 54 mbps wireless router - model WGR614v8.
My settings are as follows --
Wireless Settings::
Channel - Auto
Mode - B&G
Security Options - WPA2-PSK [AES] (I have tried WPA & WEP as well, none work)
Advanced Wireless Settings::
(checked) Enable Wireless Router Radio
(checked) Enable SSID Broadcast
Fragmentation Threshold (256 - 2346):  2346
CTS/RTS Threshold (1 - 2347):  2347
Preamble Mode:   Long Preamble
(unchecked) Disable Router's PIN
(checked) Keep Existing Wireless Settings
Wireless Card Access List (None)
     - (unchecked) Turn Access Control On
Wireless Repeating Function::
All unchecked
WAN Setup::
(unchecked) Disable SPI Firewall
(unchecked) Default DMZ Server
(unchecked) Respond to Ping on Internet Port
(unchecked) Disable SIP ALG
LAN Setup::
(checked) Use Router as DHCP Server
QoS Setup
(checked) Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multi-media) Settings
(unchecked) Turn Internet Access QoS On
(unchecked) Turn Bandwidth Control On (Have tried checking this at setting to 54 Mbps, still didn't work)
Dynamic DNS::
(unchecked) Use a Dynamic DNS Service
SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!!!
I bought the Nook so I could read the newspaper on the train during my commute to work. Its basically USELESS if I can't get the paper before I leave the house. =[

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

Re: Connected, No Internet..... STILL!!

[ Edited ]

I probably won't be much help but im going to ask you what might be an obvious thing and you probably have done it but just incase.

First of all do you have the WIFI only version or the 3g/wifi version.

if you have the 3g version the 3g part only  works to shop on the BN ebook site it won't work to browse the internet.

As far as connecting to the wifi.

Under wifi have you turned it on made sure airplane mode is turned off and that wifi is on and connected to a hotspot and then gone to shop because if its not connected to a hotspot it won't work if you just have the wifi version.

Also have you tried to temporarily turn off your security settings and see if the nook works that way if not its probably not your nook that is the issue.

Try posting your question here on the technical support board. you might get more answers.

Frequent Contributor
RobinDB
0 Kudos

As it works elsewhere it is a setting issue.

What happens when you disable wireless security on the router, will it connect then ?

Other think to check is that you are NOT blocking new connections to router, most have this feature to only allow existing connections to connect.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

You wrote:

(checked) Enable WMM (Wi-Fi multi-media) Settings

First, UNCHECK (disable) WMM.  Try to connect and see if you can browse the web or shop.

Second, if the above doesn't work, try manually setting up the DNS servers as : 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 - these are the free DNS servers set up by Google.  Some users have reported success with these.

Third, (and I'm not sure if this applies to WPA2-PSK encryption) make sure the "Authentication Type" is set to "Open".  The nook won't work with a shared key encryption.

Let us know if any of this helps . . . .

Good luck . . .

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Contributor
BFenny
0 Kudos

Thank you for all the help everyone!

FYI... Nothing worked. I got frustrated and gave up.

Found an old wireless router and hooked it up (Linksys)

Worked like MAGIC.

Lesson - Netgear wireless routers hate Nooks. :smileysad:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

BFenny wrote:

Worked like MAGIC.

Glad you got it working! I think something like this was mentioned before. One poster was having terrific problems, the router company wanted $99 to answer a question. So he went out and bought a cheapie $20 router and shazam! I believe his was also Netgear.

But at least you are now up and running.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

huh I have a netgear router and never had a problem getting my nook to work with it.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

BFenny wrote:

Worked like MAGIC.

I have a netgear router and it works wonderfully with my nook. It was a cheap $40 b/g router as that's all the guy at hh gregg said I would need. All I did was set it up, set my security at WPA2-PSK (AES) Open, set my password. Ta-da. My only experience setting a router is bying this one, reading through the quick start guide and manual and setting it up. Now, I did have issues with the 1.5 update. It would connect to everything but wouldn't download any books. I played with all the settings and somehow broke the connection to my laptop so I put them all back. LOL Then I changed the default SSID, since I realized I still had it set to say netgear and it suddenly started working again. I don't know if maybe someone in my neighborhood had the same default SSID that was hidden and it was messing things up after the update or not.

My last router was a Linksys and I am quite sure something was wrong with it. It refused to allow my wired computer on the internet. But all our wireless ones worked fine.

Fran

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

BFenny wrote:

Worked like MAGIC.

As I've found. I've had two Netgear routers. Both hoisted on me. WiFi never worked right on either one. In both instances I installed LinkSys routers and the WiFi not only worked, it worked all the time and at greater range. You couldn't melt me and pour me near a NetGear anything.

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I think like anything there can be probles with some products.  I've had three Netgear routers in the last 7 years.  My NOOK and NOOKcolor have been with me through two of them and have connected to both just fine. They both connected with no issues to my newest Netgear router, which is a dual band router (which I bought because my BluRay player was having issues connecting to my old router).

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

BFenny wrote:

Worked like MAGIC.

Not necessarily. I recently swapped my old Linksys router for a new Netgear. My Nook connected without a problem (as it did with the Linksys). I used Doug's instructions, which were for another Netgear model, as a guide.