Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 2
SpartacusZB
0 Kudos

Connectivity Issue

I haven't found a posting with my problem.  My NookColor connects to my wireless router, but then I get an error message when I try to shop that I'm not connected.  Then, the wireless info on the Nook says, "testing."  Then, it says "Connected to Network, but no Internet."  However, my other three wireless devices work fine and are indeed connected to the Internet.  I suspect perhaps a firewall issue, but I'm running WPA which should be supported.  I've updated the device to 1.0.1.  However, when I've tried to erase and reset the Nook, I get an error message.  I'm about 4 hours more worth of troublshooting before I return this thing.  And, it connects fine at public wifi spots, so the issue is somehow with my home router.  (d-Link DIR-650).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Contributor
Dave_P
0 Kudos

Re: Connectivity Issue

My first suggestion is that if you return the device you will have wasted all the time that you put into troubleshooting.  The fact that you can connect at public wifi spots should give you quite a bit of confidence that there is nothing wrong with the NookColor.

You mentioned that you had trouble when you tried to shop, I assume using the Quick Nav Bar.  How about browsing the internet on the NookColor - does this work?  Given that it requires internet access, were you able to register your NookColor?  The answers to these questions might provide valuable clues.

Because of my poor memory, one of the things that bites me nearly every time is that I forget that I have wireless MAC address filtering enabled on my router.  My router will only allow those hardware devices that I manually enter the MAC addresses of to connect.  Therefore, when I got my NookColor, I wasn't able to immediately connect even though I had properly entered the SSID and password.  This is probably not your problem, but it illustrates that there are numerous issues that may cause a connection problem.

I would suggest disabling the wireless security on your router and seeing if this solves the problem.  If so, you will have demonstrated to yourself, not only that you can connect to the internet at home but, most importantly that you can control the problem.  This will then motivate you to take the next step in finding the solution (because you don't want to operate an unsecured network).  This next step will come from your ability to imagine and can only be determined after you have found out whether or not you can connect to your unsecured home network.

Problem solving is both an analytical and experimental endeavour.  Along the way, you must also build confidence in the direction that you take.  Best of luck.

Reader 2
SpartacusZB
0 Kudos

I should have hit reply instead of tag.  Thanks for the advice.  MAC filtering is off.  I've been reluctant to turn off security, as that would be a tempory fix.  The specs indicate that Nookcolor supports WPA, which is what I'm running.  Again, I can seem to connect to my router, but not the Internet.

Contributor
Dave_P
0 Kudos

Sure, it would only be a temporary fix, but might still be worth a try.  Once you have opened up the configuration page of your router to make this change, you might begin poking around and see something else that you have forgotten about.  On the other hand, you still might not be able to connect after you've disabled security.  What you need right now is data and the process of experimenting will provide you with this data.  The data will then enable you to analyze the situation.

As far as turning off the security, this is okay for a little while.  After all, even though we should never take our eyes off the road when we are driving, we still do steal short moments it from time to time.

Again, best of luck.  I am now off to see the King Tut exhibit in Denver.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

SpartacusZB wrote:

The specs indicate that Nookcolor supports WPA, which is what I'm running.

I've heard rumors that NOOKcolor doesn't work with TKIP, which is the standard security system for WPA. Switching to WPA2/AES should clear up the problem if that's the case. Again, it's just rumors, and I don't know if that was something that was fixed (or broken) in the 1.0.1 update.

New User
csbeck
0 Kudos

I had issues connecting the Nook (no internet) for several days but finally found the solution.

I have Verizon cable network. Also I have the following:

• Netgear WPN824v3
  • Desktop - Windows 7
  • Laptops, Wii and PS3

All of these connected pretty well on WEP encryption except for one of my laptops - very sporadic connection.

I changed the wireless router to these settings:

• Mode b and g (not Auto 108)
  • Channel # (you may have to change this depending on what channels other people in your area are using)
  • Security Option: WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK
  • Passphrase (you'll put this in - but you'll have to note it so you can put it in on the Nook and other computers)

Once I set the Nook wireless settings for these, then it connected like magic.

No problems yet.

I hope this helps!

New User
2thebeach
0 Kudos

We had a similar problem with another brand and it turned out our router would only allow four wireless hookups at a time and thought we were using them all. We haven't been able to fix it yet ;-(

Reader 2
bhoover
0 Kudos

I got a Nook for Christmas and have since been trying to connect to the WIFI in our house. We have an eMac computer with Apple Network for wireless internet capabilities. I have called  tech support, uploaded the new software (1.5 version) and it still won't work. I tried adding it in as a WIFI hotspot, but it won't connect still.

I've called tech support twice now and nothing seems to be helping besides making a 2 hour trip into the city to get it replaced. What am I not trying? Any advice?

Reader
jboschjr
0 Kudos

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for posting this.  I have the same router and tried just about everything to try to connect.  I even traded my Nook for a new one and still had the same problems.  Now the Nook works great.

New User
EricM24
0 Kudos

FYI...

NOOKColor will work with WPA2 and TKIP.  I'm using it with my NOOK at home with zero problems.