Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
GBR1
0 Kudos

Connectivity Issues

I bought my Nook last weekend, and posted a couple of days ago about not being able to connect to my home WiFi.

For anyone new to the Nook Color who is having this issue, thought I'd share my solution.  After countless hours on the phone with technical support of Barnes and Noble, my router manufacturer, internet service provider, and even my computer manufacturer, I was unable to connect my Nook to my home WiFi.  The only thing I succeeded in doing was taking out the connection to my laptops.

This afternoon I went out and spent $45 on a new router.  Got home, hooked it up, and everything worked, including the Nook!

If you are a computer illiterate person like me, this may be your best option too.  If I had known how much time and frustration it would take to get to this point, I would have just bought the new router right away. 

All that said, I really like the Nook.  I owned a Kindle for the last two years, and am very happy so far with the features offered by the Nook.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Connectivity Issues

GBR1 wrote:

I bought my Nook last weekend, and posted a couple of days ago about not being able to connect to my home WiFi.

For anyone new to the Nook Color who is having this issue, thought I'd share my solution.  After countless hours on the phone with technical support of Barnes and Noble, my router manufacturer, internet service provider, and even my computer manufacturer, I was unable to connect my Nook to my home WiFi.  The only thing I succeeded in doing was taking out the connection to my laptops.

This afternoon I went out and spent $45 on a new router.  Got home, hooked it up, and everything worked, including the Nook!

If you are a computer illiterate person like me, this may be your best option too.  If I had known how much time and frustration it would take to get to this point, I would have just bought the new router right away. 

All that said, I really like the Nook.  I owned a Kindle for the last two years, and am very happy so far with the features offered by the Nook.

I'm so glad you got it sorted out.  Sometimes spending a few bucks is much, much cheaper than dealing with continuous aggravation.

Although there are some one this board with both devices, it would be better to share your success on one of the NookColor boards -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/bd-p/NOOKcolorGeneralDiscussion

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Contributor
tommyjohn
0 Kudos

Re: Connectivity Issues

I had similar issues with connecting the Nook.  I had to pay $35.00 to the manufacturer of my router to get a 26 character HEX number.  Nowhere in any documentation did I see this mentioned.  Fortunately the second person I spoke to at B & N told me to try this.