New User
Harriette53
0 Kudos

Connectivity

I have a wireless router and a new Nook, however the Nook will not connect.  It states that the signal is strong - any suggestions as to why it will not connect?

Frequent Contributor
MAD_NY
0 Kudos

Re: Connectivity

Its the device, it's not you.

The nookcolor fell short as a wireless capable device, even with a software update.  The wireless works intermittently, at best.  I have mine "connected" via WEP on a secured fiber network and it will "obtain IP address..." for hours, or say "connected but no internet" then it will randomly connect for a few minutes, just long enough to start to browse magazine titles and then ker-splat, "no internet" again.   Later, connected again, start to listen to pandora and before the song finishes, it's gone again.. an hour goes by as I read a couple books to my kids and I try to connect again...and it's obtaining the IP address for 30 mins before the battery dies.    Recharge..... and repeat.

There is no ability to use the Pandora feature because the internet never stays connected for more than 5 minutes.  There's no ability to shop for new titles on the device because the only way the device will stay connected is if you fix yourself on the floor of a B+N store and log into their unsecured network. You can't browse the web, listen to pandora, download new titles or do ANYTHING on the device that actually requires connectivity beacause again, the internet comes and goes despite other devices in the room staying connected.

The device is awesome for things that don't require internet (like reading the magazine or kid's book once you have it on the device) but for an ereader with inconsistent connectivity, $250 is a very bloated pricetag!!  If I wanted a basic e-reader, I wouldn't have begged hubby for this nookcolor that brought joyous tears to my eyes on Christmas morning.

Did you download the software update?  I did but it didn't help... the device seems to need more than just software updates.  

Now my tears are not happy ones... I'll be returning mine tomorrow and waiting for a wireless hardware update.  It's an awesome device in theory but it was poorly executed.  

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

What kind of router do you have?

What kind of encryption are you using?

Is your router broadcasting its SSID?

Do you have MAC filtering on or off?

This is a start for the NOOK gurus to help you make it work.

New User
KerriO
0 Kudos

Not sure what brand router I have (Time Warner Cable generic), but it is wireless b and WEP.  SSID is broadcast and MAC filtering is off. It connected intermittently for a day and has not worked for the past two, even with the new software update.  It never leaves "obtaining IP address".....

Seriously considering returning for a Kindle....

Reader 2
JonesHead
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

What kind of router do you have?

What kind of encryption are you using?

Is your router broadcasting its SSID?

Do you have MAC filtering on or off?

This is a start for the NOOK gurus to help you make it work.

I could quote Mad_NY exactly!  Very frustrating~  that being said I am willing to let the NOOK  gurus help me.  I'm not wanting to return my NOOK  it's really cool and I've played tons of Sudoku~:smileysurprised:)

My router is a DLINK~  kind of old.  We are running a laptop, xbox and 2 IPOD touches off of it.

It is WEP.

How do I find out about the other 2 questions~ router broadcasting and MAC filtering?

Thanks~

New User
csbeck
0 Kudos

I had issues connecting the Nook (no internet) for several days but finally found the solution.

I have Verizon cable network. Also I have the following:

• Netgear WPN824v3
  • Desktop - Windows 7
  • Laptops, Wii and PS3

All of these connected pretty well on WEP encryption except for one of my laptops - very sporadic connection.

I changed the wireless router to these settings:

• Mode b and g (not Auto 108)
  • Channel # (you may have to change this depending on what channels other people in your area are using)
  • Security Option: WPA-PSK / WPA2-PSK
  • Passphrase (you'll put this in - but you'll have to note it so you can put it in on the Nook and other computers)

Once I set the Nook wireless settings for these, then it connected like magic.

No problems yet.

I hope this helps!

Reader
jeanbo
0 Kudos

This is happening to me too.

I hope the next update will fix it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

As the posters mentioned above, please provide the specs of your router.  Don't wait for an update.  Also, which nook do you have.

New User
Ashleen
0 Kudos

I have a Cisco router, and the password works just fine for my laptop, my netbook, and friends' devices when they want to connect here -- but my new Nook2 e-ink rejects it.  Any suggestions?  (I noted someone's suggestion to change the "mode" to b and g, rather than auto 108; how does one do that?)

Ashleen
www.AshleenOGaea.com
www.AdventureWicca.com
Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

I just bought the nook2 and I also have cisco router and it too rejects my password!  Any Suggestions would be helpful.   help! ; )

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

As the posters mentioned above, please provide the specs of your router.  Don't wait for an update.  Also, which nook do you have.

Again, we can't help you if we don't know anything about your setup.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H

What the Nook calls a "password" is really the security passphrase used to generate the passkey/network key.  This is not the password you use to log in to the router when you are configuring it. These are three things I fear many people get confused. 

If you try to log in to your router or access point to configure it, you will have to enter a user name/login (such as admin) and a password (common default: password). 

If you want to surf the web and try to connect via WiFi to a selected SSID (WiFi station name.  Example: MyNetwork) and it is secured, then you must enter the "passphrase".  This is a full alpha-numeric phrase and is caps sensitive (Example: Eat5ApplesEvery7Days!).  The machine uses the passphrase to generate the "passkey" AKA "network key".  This is a hexadecimal code using 0-9 and A-F only (Example:

5E6C50C8BF2CD79A71A042F685D4DB7C42EA4F2AE33C1AB59BF9E19070A42953).

Unfortunately the Nook kind of muddies things by calling the passphrase a "password", which I think may lead people into entering the wrong information. 

Make sure you are entering the correct passphrase, that you are spelling everything correctly, and that no one has changed it without telling you.  Some characters look very similar.  See 0oO and 1lLiI

Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

I have a Cisco connect with Linskey Software  model E1000.   I belive I have been using the Passphrase, not sure where else to look.  When I talked to the nook help they said I need to toupdate my "firmware"

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

This is so crazy, I have my computer, printer, work computer and my orginal nook ALL connected and worked fine, now I get this nook2 and it won't connect... so fustrating, as much as I like this new one I think its going back.

Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

I looked for a security key just in case but couldn't find that.  It so strange when I click on connect it goes to where I can key in the password but above it it already says "password it incorrect, etc" and it really looks like it isn't doing anythig. 

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

deb54mn,

It is almost always advisable to have the latest firmnware.  The latest firmware for your router was released on 05/25/2011. 

The E1000 is a wireless b/g/n device.  Some people have reported problems, not just with Nooks, when trying to connect to wireless b/g/n devices running in the "Mixed" mode.  This can usually be resolved by selecting the "BG-Mixed" or "Wireless-G Only" modes.

Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H.

thanks, I did just and I do have the latest frimware.  What do you mean "mixed Mode" and  where to I find the "BG-Mixed" or "Wireless-G Only" modes?

Thanks

Contributor
dl1244
0 Kudos

oh I found it but I don't have the "BG-Mixed" or "Wireless-G Only" modes on the list to pick from.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]