Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
writ45
0 Kudos

Continual charging problems -- all components

I received my NookColor for Christmas.  I love it as an e-reader, and I love the wi-fi capability.  I want to keep using it, but I have had continual problems with the charging process.  This should be a non-issue for an electronic device in this day and age.

By late January or so (after only about a month of use), the NookColor USB cable that came with my device quit working.  First it quit working to move library ebooks from my laptop to my NookColor, then it quit even charging the device.  I took the cable back to a B&N store, and they gave me a new cable, no questions asked.

In mid-April, the NookColor itself didn't see the charging cable -- I couldn't charge the NookColor.  I took it back to a B&N store, and they agreed the problem was in the NookColor itself.  They gave me a new NookColor and cable (brand new, still in the box).  The transition of registering a new device was almost seemless -- all my Nook books were recognized, though I had to download library books with Adobe Digital Editions again.

This morning -- only six weeks after getting the new NookColor in mid-April -- I noticed that my NookColor wasn't charging -- no light on the USB cable.  The power strip it was plugged into was charging other devices, but not the NookColor.  I think this time the problem is in the AC convertor box, because I do get the orange light in the USB cable when it's plugged into my laptop.  So I am going to have to make another trip to B&N to get a new convertor box and have them check out the USB cable and NookColor to be sure they're working.

That makes all three of the components in charging the NookColor that have failed me in five months -- the USB cable, the NookColor, and now the convertor box.

As indicated above, B&N has been very helpful in resolving these problems, but I have NEVER had a charging problem with any other electronic device I have owned -- laptops, cell phones, etc.  But with the NookColor, this is the third problem in five months.  This is unacceptable.

As I said, I love the device as an e-reader and supplemental wi-fi/Internet connection.  But B&N has got to get the basics right before I can support it 100%.

Correspondent
Rose_Bee
0 Kudos

Re: Continual charging problems -- all components

This is the Nook General Discussion board.

You'll have more luck with your problem on the Nook Color Technical Support board: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-Technical-Support/bd-p/NOOKcolortechnicalsupport

Good luck!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Re: Continual charging problems -- all components

See also:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-General-Discussion/New-Posting-Pratices/m-p/1041812/mess...

For some subject line and content tips for posts/technical questions.