Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Nicole12G
0 Kudos

Converting ebooks

I've seen quite a few threads about people buying ebooks from other places and converting them to the Nook. How do you do that? I was just going to buy a few books and everything has jumped up in price! They've raises ebooks almost $4 a pop and that's nuts to me...

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Converting ebooks

[ Edited ]

You probably won't find the ones that went up any cheaper anywhere else. The change in price was probably the result of the new 'Agency Model' with its strict 'no discounts' policy that went into effect last week for five of the 'Big 6' publishing houses. (Temporary exception: Amazon is still selling old Penguin titles at discount while they negotiate a new contract with Penguin.)

In order to convert an e-book, you need to remove any DRM (copy protection) that the e-book has. In the US, this is probably illegal under the DMCA, but I'm not a lawyer. If the e-book doesn't have DRM, you probably could just get an EPUB copy wherever you got the e-book and not bother with conversion.

Once you have an e-book without DRM, you can use Calibre to convert it from one format to another. You'll probably want to convert to EPUB. In my experience, the results from Calibre are not very good.

Reader 2
chipsndip
0 Kudos

The results from Caliber depend entirely upon the source material.  I've had good luck with the public domain stuff I've found and converted to epub...  But most books that you're going to pay money for are going to have DRM.  Caliber won't convert books with DRM...

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Converting eBooks

Nicole12G wrote:

I've seen quite a few threads about people buying eBooks from other places and converting them to the Nook. How do you do that? I was just going to buy a few books and everything has jumped up in price! They've raises eBooks almost $4 a pop and that's nuts to me...

Unless there eBook is in a format not supported by the nook, I think what you are referring to is authorization, not conversion.

EBooks in ePUB, PDB, PDF, Adobe Protected ePUB, Adobe Protected PDF, and secure eReader (Protected PDB) can be viewed on the nook without conversion.

If the book is an unprotected ePUB, PDB, or PDF it can just be copied to the nook via a process called sideloading described on this board and in the nook manual.

Adobe Protected ePub and PDF files need to be authorized for your nook (actually it's you nook that gets authorized) with a program called Adobe Digital Editions.

Secure eReader can be copied to your nook and when you attempt to open it, you will be asked for the credit card number and name on the card used to purchase the book.

I hope this is what you were looking for.

Inspired Wordsmith
icebike
0 Kudos

Nicole12G wrote:

I've seen quite a few threads about people buying ebooks from other places and converting them to the Nook. How do you do that? I was just going to buy a few books and everything has jumped up in price! They've raises ebooks almost $4 a pop and that's nuts to me...

First, most places you can buy ebooks from use formats that are directly supported

by the nook.  No conversion necessary.  Exception:  Kindle store.

When given an option, download epub format.

I use Calibre for management of all my non B&N ebooks.  It keeps things nice and organized and will convert from one format to another when there are no DRM restrictions.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Larry's and icebike's comments are spot on.  Just one additional comment to avoid confusion:

icebike wrote:

No conversion necessary.  Exception:  Kindle store.

You cannot convert Kindle ebooks for nook so avoid Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
aztec506
0 Kudos

Just remember to put the epub file in the nooks "my documents" folder.  Books from the Sony store, Kobo books and others work fine with the nook.  No conversion necessary.  It's probably a good idea to buy one book from a new site, download it, make sure it works before buying a bunch.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

Does anyone know if Calibre or other similar programs will work with Cafescribe books?  I'm starting an online Master's degree program in January and most of our books are available through Cafescribe, which from what I have been able to find are readable through a program called MyScribe.  The MyScribe program is only usable on a Mac or PC and everything I can find on their website says that you cannot read them on an eReader, but there has to be a way!  Even if I have to use a PDF converter and convert the Cafescribe book to something that the Nook would read, it would number one make my books really easy to carry around with me and number two give me a really good excuse to buy a new toy!  Anyone familiar with this?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ladytonya wrote:

Does anyone know if Calibre or other similar programs will work with Cafescribe books?  I'm starting an online Master's degree program in January and most of our books are available through Cafescribe, which from what I have been able to find are readable through a program called MyScribe.  The MyScribe program is only usable on a Mac or PC and everything I can find on their website says that you cannot read them on an eReader, but there has to be a way!  Even if I have to use a PDF converter and convert the Cafescribe book to something that the Nook would read, it would number one make my books really easy to carry around with me and number two give me a really good excuse to buy a new toy!  Anyone familiar with this?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

It sounds like they have some type of copy protection.  Calibre wouldn't be able to convert them.

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

If they're printable, then you could use a pdf printer to convert to pdf

Reader
Huntinwidow
0 Kudos

I have 2 books in the Library Reader from the sony and I can't move them.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm new to all this and getting extremely aggrivated.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Huntinwidow wrote:

I have 2 books in the Library Reader from the sony and I can't move them.  Am I doing something wrong?  I'm new to all this and getting extremely aggrivated.

What do you mean "can't move them"? What happens when you try?

Also see the link in my signature about using Sony e-books on NOOK. There might be something helpful in there.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

What is the easiest way to convert to pdf? The books are printable, I think like 30 pages at a time but that would be fine. I'm actually trying to justify using my financial aid to buy a Nook, then I can buy all available textbooks in electronic format and not have to lug around so many heavy books!  Even if it's a little work, it will be worth it.

Also, I was reading about nookStudy. Why can't you read a nookStudy book on the nook?  I understand that text books aren't optimized for the nook or whatever, but I think that if I make the choice to read it on there anyway then I should be able to!  If my book is available as a nookStudy book, could that be converted and read on a nook?

I guess I'm just full of questions!  LOL!  Like I said, just trying to justify spending the money, and I'm almost there!

New User
ldowens
0 Kudos

I've converted many books using calibre, but what I've discovered is using my library.

Many ebooks are available at your eLibrary.

I love my Nook especially since I can down load ebooks from the library.

Contact your local library and see what they have.

Use this link http://sonysearch.overdrive.com/ to find your library.

Hope that helps,

Debra

Wordsmith
NookGuy
0 Kudos

eDigest wrote:

Larry's and icebike's comments are spot on.  Just one additional comment to avoid confusion:

icebike wrote:

No conversion necessary.  Exception:  Kindle store.

You cannot convert Kindle ebooks for nook so avoid Amazon.

Well .... depends on how you look at it :smileywink:

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

ladytonya wrote:

What is the easiest way to convert to pdf? The books are printable, I think like 30 pages at a time but that would be fine. I'm actually trying to justify using my financial aid to buy a Nook, then I can buy all available textbooks in electronic format and not have to lug around so many heavy books!  Even if it's a little work, it will be worth it.

Also, I was reading about nookStudy. Why can't you read a nookStudy book on the nook?  I understand that text books aren't optimized for the nook or whatever, but I think that if I make the choice to read it on there anyway then I should be able to!  If my book is available as a nookStudy book, could that be converted and read on a nook?

I guess I'm just full of questions!  LOL!  Like I said, just trying to justify spending the money, and I'm almost there!

My honest opinion is that the Nook is not a great choice for reading text books.  It's best for books which you read from cover to cover and which don't have a lot of graphics -- like fiction.  You can't zoom in on diagrams or pictures.  Note taking and highlighting are cumbersome.  It's also difficult to flip back and forth -- both within the same book and between different books.

Even if you can convert to pdf, it may be really tough to read on the Nook.  Only the small font size shows a pdf in its original layout.  This may be too small to view.  If you increase the font size, it will attempt to reflow the text.  However, unless it is plain text with a simple layout, this can often jumble things up and make it unreadable.

The B&N etextbooks are made to work with Nookstudy and have even more restrictive copy protection than regular B&N ebooks.  The Nook is just not set up to view these.  You might see a Nookstudy app for the new NookColor or other devices someday, but I wouldn't necessarily count on it.

Inspired Contributor
CritterKeeper
0 Kudos

ladytonya wrote:

You can download DoPDF. This installs as a printer. Any document that you can print you can then convert to a pdf. You hit "print" then pick DoPDF from the printer drop down list. Instead of printing, a save as box will then pop up. You name your doc, hit print, and it actually saves it as a pdf.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@lkmiller,

NOOKstudy is especially designed for textbooks. Most textbooks are large format, full-color with lots of images that appear in a 2 column format with text. NOOK, like other eReaders, isn't optimized to present that format optimally. The NOOKstudy application lives on your laptop or desktop (which has a big landscape screen) where we think you can get the best eTextbook experience in terms of viewing the page.

Inspired Correspondent
ladytonya
0 Kudos

So is this still going to be the case with the NOOKcolor?  I want to buy etextbooks frankly because they are cheaper, but honestly I would rather lug around a big heavy hardback text than try to read on my laptop. It's kind of hard to whip out a laptop in many situations, whereas a Nook would fit in my pocketbook.  I'm not a traditional student so it's not like I walk around campus where it would look perfectly normal to carry a backpack.  I'm going to be starting an online MBA program in a little over a month, so I have about that long to figure this whole thing out!  My first class is Financial Accounting and the text is $197, or I can get a etext for $112.  That's a big difference!

Frequent Contributor
mareofearth
0 Kudos

If you don't plan to keep the textbook as a reference after the class, try campusbookstore.com. Good customer service, and renting is much much cheaper! However, if you plan to keep the textbook, then etextbooks are the way to go!

Insanity doesn't run in my family, it gallops.