Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
JohnnyNY

Coupons and Nookbooks

Good Morning, just wanted someone to know and perhaps comment upon the reasoning why we cannot use a coupon when purchasing a nookbook on line or in the store. I received a 15% coupon for completing B&N Survey and cannot use it unless I purchase a different product other than a nookbook. Not very accomodating for those of us who use the nookcolor or nook.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Re: Coupons and Nookbooks

As I understand it, don't blame B&N, blame the publishers.  they have set (I think) strick pricing policies, I asusme so that their books are not used as pawns in some pricing war.

others may have more insight, but I think in general that is the issue

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236

B&N didn't allow coupons or membership discounts to be used on ebooks or anything NOOK related even before the agency model went into effect.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

B&N didn't allow coupons or membership discounts to be used on ebooks or anything NOOK related even before the agency model went into effect.

Also, keep in mind that if it was the Agency Model preventing coupon use why couldn't we use coupons on Non-Agency model books?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Nallia wrote:

Also, keep in mind that if it was the Agency Model preventing coupon use why couldn't we use coupons on Non-Agency model books?

Because it would cause mass confusion for customers when the vast majority of eBooks couldn't be discounted by their coupon but a minority could. How would they know if any given book could be discounted. Customers in the know could easily handle this, but the bad relations this would cause with a very large number of customers who have never paid attention to who the publisher was before and who have never heard of Agency Pricing just isn't worth it.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Correspondent
bobwa
0 Kudos

Actually, Kobo regularly has discounts on non-Agency model books and it works just fine.  I bought a number of books through them at Christmas, often at 30% off.  When I tried to apply the discount to Agency publisher books I simply got a message saying the publisher didn't allow a discount on that book.  Surely, Barnes and Noble could do the same thing if it chose to.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

bobwa wrote:

Actually, Kobo regularly has discounts on non-Agency model books and it works just fine.  I bought a number of books through them at Christmas, often at 30% off.  When I tried to apply the discount to Agency publisher books I simply got a message saying the publisher didn't allow a discount on that book.  Surely, Barnes and Noble could do the same thing if it chose to.

I agree. Sorry, B&N, I keep a non-Agency wish list at Kobo and check for their coupons regularly.

Two other points in opposition to the statement that coupons applying only to Agency books would cause confusion and bad will among B&N customers: 

1) Being able to use coupons/membership discounts toward even some NOOKbooks and NOOK accessories would create much good will among many customers--I would be in that group! 

2) It took me no time to learn to tell the difference between Agency and Non-Agency books by looking at the number of lines in the price--an Agency book has one price line, a Non-Agency book has three price lines (list price, price, and %saved)--and although my mother might have told you otherwise, I am really no smarter than most people.

And what about NOOK accessories?  Again, I realize that the "designer" lines will probably not be coupon/member discount friendly.  Anyone who has ever shopped for designer anything at any major department or specialty store probably knows that, too.