Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Cover and/or silicone rubber frame use?

I'm wondering how many Nook users use covers or the silicone rubber frames. Is anyone using a "naked" Nook (with no frame, cover or even screen protector)? How many are using the "front covers" that leave most of the back of the reader exposed? Do you prefer a slip case, an envelope style "covers", the book style covers or the easel style covers? Have you experimented with different covers to discover which type you prefer?

Since I've not seen a silicone frame for the later models, was it n unsuccessful accessory for the 1E models?

I'll chime in first. I bought a silicone frame for my 1E but have become mildly concerned about screen scratches (although I haven't detected any yet). I took advantage of the recent price reduction on 1E covers to try one of the book style cases that features molded pocket for the bottom of the reader and elastic straps for the upper corners (pretty strong elastic!). I was looking for the easel style, but my local store was out of them. I'm also a little concerned about the magnetic clasp on the easel style covers affecting the magnetic stripes on bank cards.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Cover and/or silicone rubber frame use?

[ Edited ]

Both of my nooks go naked.  I have timbuk2 envelope cases for them, so they're protected when not in use, but they're naked when I'm reading them.  :smileysurprised:

I really liked the silicone frames for the N1E, but I wanted to be able to slip it into a case when not in use, and the silicone was too sticky to slide nicely into the timbuk2 case.

For the N2E, the sides are rubberized so I'm not sure the silicone frame would add much value.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

When I had my N1E I used a case.  I'm more comfortable reading my N2E without a case.  I only use a slip cover with that one.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

When I had my N1, I tried a skin, but I quickly found that it was a magnet for fingerprints and general detritus, so I ditched it.  I did use a cover, a leather-covered cardboard one.  The person who has it now prefers it naked, so that he can slip it into his pocket when he's moving about.

With my N2, I use a padded leather Kobo cover.  It's not a perfect fit--needs Velcro to keep it in place--but it's so comfortable to hold and read with that I'm willing to deal with it.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

With my Nook color I have always used a cover based on the sensative screen, this kept my fingers as far away from the screen as possible. so, when I purchased the N2E I just bought a cover because I was use to one.  It protects it against all manner of drop-age...I'm a dropper.

Frequent Contributor
MikeNC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My N2E and my NC are both used naked (the devices I mean, this is not an epidsode of "what are you wearing?").  I have a neoprene pouch for the N2E when transporting it, and I have a Muriel hard Cover for the NC for the same purpose, but the only time either goes into those is when I'm taking it somewhere with me.  I also do not use any screen covers - generally, I find they are just unneccessary and I dislike using the NC with one (tried early on with it, but just did not see the point nor any advantage to using one).

Since I wear glasses, I have many microfibre cloths around and it is simple enough to periodically wipe the screens.  Plus, I just don't notice the finger prints on the NC screen when using it, and the N2E matte screen is even less prone to noticeably finger print marks.  With the screen off and good light, the prints on the NC show up clearly, but I just don't really notice them at all when the LCD screen is lit up and in use.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Both of my nooks go naked.  I have timbuk2 envelope cases for them, so they're protected when not in use, but they're naked when I'm reading them.  :smileysurprised:

Almost ditto.

My N1E had a skin, just because I got bored and has a Hutton envelope for when it travels.

My N2E is totally naked and travels in a Case Crown neoprene sleeve made for the Kobo Touch.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

All my nooks have covers (N1E, Nc and NST/N2E).  I usually just throw them in my bag and even though I have the screen protector am still parnoid about scratches.  I also have a 3yo and 9 month who sometime sget ahold of it and it needs all the protection it can get then.

Frequent Contributor
LibroAmante
0 Kudos

I have the Marine skin from B&N, and just recently bought a stand up case for my N1.  I always keep the skin on it, and it is always in a case.  I also have a waterproof pouch, should I ever need to bring it near water.  I have not used the pouch yet though.