Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
skates
0 Kudos

Covers, protectors, bags, oh my!

Okay, I'll start by saying that I know there are probably one million plus answers to this and it all depends on preference, but here goes. Just got my nook a few days ago. I'm now totally obsessed with what to cover and protect it with, and what to carry it around in. Add to that the realization that other places besides B&N sell covers, etc. so that adds to my indecision. This is what I'm thinking and I'd like opinions/suggestions. I want to jazz up my nook a little so I'm thinking of getting one of the colored backs. Then, I'd like to cover the front so I'm thinking the clear protector film. I think I'd also like to cover the front (plastic) with something to maybe protect the page turning buttons a little. Maybe a "skin". Then maybe just buying some sort of bag to keep it in so if I toss it in my tote bag or my purse, it will be protected, but something with a little padding that might help protect it if I drop it. At first I thought I'd need one of the book like covers because I'd want the feel of reading a book, but now that I've used it a few times, I just don't think I need to go that route. At any rate, I want to get some kind of protection on it. Sorry this was so long. Ideas/suggestions? What do you use?

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

Re: Covers, protectors, bags, oh my!

I myself got a cover that is almost like a book. I can't find it online anymore but I bought it from Barnes & Noble. Than I carry it with a netbook case, which I got at Big Lots.  For pretty cheap.

I don't have a skin or anything though..sorry I can't help you with that, but I know where I want to get a skin from.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

I have the periscope nook case and I love it!  I had a few nook owners take down the information so they could purchase it while we were all in line for a buffett in Vegas over the weekend.  :smileyhappy:  This is a very personal preference though so look around.

Skins are great, I have a skin BUT do not think it's going to protect you from button cracks, I can speak from experience when telling it doesn't do that...

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

I have the M-edge executive cover and M-edge elluminator booklight which goes right in the cover and stays there all ready to use when needed.  I got this set at Best Buy.  I feel like the cover gives great protection, and I just drop my Nook in my purse everytime I leave my house.  I know you said you want to stay away from book type covers and it is a matter of personal preference, but just wanted to share.

The main thing is to have fun personalizing your nook to meet your needs, and to give it the feel of being yours!!  Have fun and enjoy your new Nook!!!!

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sorry my computer is acting funny.  my post is below.:smileysad:

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

Hi

I bought the orange back for my nook and the Jonathan Adler cover with the question mark on it.  Then I bought a skin with orange in it. I only put the skin on the front (because I didn't want to cover the back LOL).  The Adler cover is light inside and makes the contrast on the nook very clear.  I think it looks great.  Check out the stuff Barnes and Noble sells that way you know that it will fit your nook.  Happy decorating! :smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
skates
0 Kudos

Are buttons cracking a potential issue? Anything to do to prevent it?

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I terrible at making a decision.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@skates

The cover is a must, and a skin is nice.  I have Green Man from DecalGirl and I really like it, especially with the matching wallpaper.

Remember, though, that both the cover and the skin hide the back pretty well.  So, a colored back for your Nook will make B&N happy, but probably won't be of much benefit to you. :smileywink:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@skates,

While we're on the subject of accessories, check out our 30% sale!

Frequent Contributor
jdarnold
0 Kudos

I have to admit to going cheap but I really like my cover. I bought the Alice In Wonderland cover and it works really well for only $25. Nook is securely in there, it is light yet protective, the cover folds all the way back for easy reading, and it even has a little pocket to put some papers in. Highly recomend it, esp. at the price!

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Alice-Cover-in-Paper/e/9781615598854/?itm=1&USRI=alice+in+wonderland

Contributor
Wigum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

i went with the m-edge cover and light as well. I love it. My nook is secure, it's got pouches if i want to write down notes etc. The booklight lives with it so it's always ready when i need it. It lives inside my purse - and has protected my nook from keys, wallets, change etc.

I've had many many compliments on the case. It is well built, sturdy, and elegant. M-edge has a whole line of cases and accessories. Everyone i know that has one has liked them.

I bought a decalgirl sticker for my nook, but it felt so plasticy and thin, and i didnt like how it was cut, so i ended up just throwing it out. My nook lives in it's m-edge case. I think ive taken it out once since i got it, and then it was just to check and see if debris was collecting in the back cover - it wasnt.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

I have an M-Edge Executive cover and Elluminator booklight.  I also have a B&N neoprene sleeve.  I bought the sleeve when I bought my NOOK.  I still use it occasionally because sometimes I like to use my NOOK without a cover.  The Decalgirl skins are great--they have a huge selection and good prices.  I have one with a matte finish and love it.  However, the skins don't do anything to prevent the page turn buttons from cracking.  If they're going to crack they will crack eventually.  The new NOOKs use a different material that shouldn't crack, though.

Since you don't want to use a folding cover, the neoprene sleeve may be just right for you.  I thought it came in different colors now, but I only see it in black on the website.  It's $19.95.

Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

jdarnold wrote:

I have to admit to going cheap but I really like my cover. I bought the Alice In Wonderland cover and it works really well for only $25. Nook is securely in there, it is light yet protective, the cover folds all the way back for easy reading, and it even has a little pocket to put some papers in. Highly recomend it, esp. at the price!

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Alice-Cover-in-Paper/e/9781615598854/?itm=1&USRI=alice+in+wonderland

I like this cover, but it doesn't have a clasp to keep it closed. I'm rather clumsy, and would want a cover that clasped shut.

Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

If they're going to crack they will crack eventually.  The new NOOKs use a different material that shouldn't crack, though.

I've been reading that the new nooks shouldn't crack, but on another forum, someone stated the button cracked on there new nook. This makes me doubt that B&N ever fixed the problem.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Nook_Library wrote:

I like this cover, but it doesn't have a clasp to keep it closed. I'm rather clumsy, and would want a cover that clasped shut.

I've been very happy with this one:

Madison Trifold Cover in Crimson

Madison Trifold Cover in Mink

It provides wraparound protection, and also accommodates the eLuminator2 light from M-Edge

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Frequent Contributor
Nook_Library
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Nook_Library wrote:

I've been very happy with this one:

Madison Trifold Cover in Crimson

Madison Trifold Cover in Mink

It provides wraparound protection, and also accommodates the eLuminator2 light from M-Edge

Those are really nice. I just wish they came in more colors. I think I'm still leaning towards the Noreve book covers. I like the tabs that hold the nook in place, and the different color options.

Reader 2
pigmypuff
0 Kudos

i made my own fabric cover...somewhat like a cozy quilt for my Nook...embroidered it and made it "mine"/.  I was reluctant to buy the clear cover for the screen because i love the way the Nook looks without one.  I did break down however and purchased this on accessory.  I really like that it did not change the way the screen looks and it gives the screen just a bit of protection from my clumsiness.  I would highly recommend the clear screen cover if you do nothing else.  The way I have this set up, I can take my Nook along in my purse, the keys don't bother it, nor any unopened tubes of lipstick that my fall into the purse.

Frequent Contributor
bookbug127
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I like to read my nook without a case as well. I purchased the hutton envelope cover from B&N when I bought my nook. That is where my nook resides when not in use. I think it protects it pretty well even when it's in my purse and says closed with the magnetic clasp.

Details

I also bought a skin from decalgirl.com and I got the screen protectors from B&N. All in all I'm very happy and my nook seems to well protected and pretty.

Frequent Contributor
Adenium
0 Kudos

If you're planning on reading your nook sans cover, you might want to check out sleeves rather than book-style covers.  m-edge offers a couple of these, and I was also very tempted by the Nook "teechees" at the Rogue Theory shop on Etsy.com.  They're reinforced fabric sleeves and have a lot of nice designs (IMHO).  They can customize them with a wraparound or zipper closure if you want, and last I checked they were about $15. 

I ended up going with the m-edge Go jacket as I like the feel of reading the nook in a cover and it holds a light nicely, but if you prefer a naked nook there are cheap and convenient options.  I know, like you need more options  : )

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

Love my Da Vinci cover from Oberon Design.  It's gorgeous!  And I slide that whole thing into a netbook sleeve found at Ross for $7.99.  This works for me to protect Nook while reading and when riding around in my purse or bag, because I'm never without the thing.  Waiting in lines isn't nearly as boring these days.

Life is too short to read bad books. . .