Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

 


gstone wrote:
I am hoping you are right. I read it both ways since it wasn't clear but the rigid stance B&N is taking on just out of warranty cracked bezels has me wondering.

 

That's actually what pushed me towards my line of thinking.  It's very clearly in the MO of B&N to not replace a broken bezel NOOK shortly after manufacturer's warranty expiration.  Value of that stance discussion to be avoided at all costs.  :smileywink:  It makes no sense whatsoever if there was an extended warranty...

 

If the poster has an extended warranty, the warranty company is on the hook, no questions asked, IMO.

New User
areese801
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-13-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

I'm having this same problem.  Noticed a tiny little crack about 2 weeks ago, and now it's almost all the way through the bezel.  As it happens I'm about 3 months outside of my warranty (I paid big bucks for a first generation nook, when they were first launched).  I just called customer service and they were not willing to do anything for me.  I'd be willing to pay for a new faceplate, but I don't think you can buy them individually.

 

I feel a little burned now, and think this is a matter of poor quality (a flaw, that in my case, took 16 months to reveal itself), and that my warranty should be extended since an individual faceplate isn't an option.

 

Anyway - I'll use it until the button falls off or something, and then I'll get a Kindle instead.  I'm one of those people that will go to the competitor out of principle when I'm not treated fairly by a company.

 

Kind of sucks because I've always been a nook fanboy and got a bunch of my friends to buy them too so we could share books.  I'll also lose out on all of the nookbooks I've bought to date.  ...But its worth it to me since I hate getting pushed around.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

Even if it cracks all the way through it won't affect the functionality of the Nook.  Mine cracked all the way through while in the warranty period so I got it replaced.  If it was outside the warranty period and I couldn't get it replaced I'd be fine with it as long as functionality wasn't affected.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Reader 2
ebreader07
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

My Nook has recently shown a crack below the bottom right arrow some 14 months after receiving it as a gift.  I did call B&N and they won't replace the Nook nor do the sell the frame as a separate item.


With the durability of the Nook not very good, I WILL look elsewhere for my next eReader.  I like good quality items not things that break down in a "planned obsolescence" manner.  I touted the Nook before.  Never will one hear that from my lips again.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

 


ebreader07 wrote:

With the durability of the Nook not very good, I WILL look elsewhere for my next eReader.  I like good quality items not things that break down in a "planned obsolescence" manner.  I touted the Nook before.  Never will one hear that from my lips again.


Um, forgive me if I'm wrong, but replacing an item for a purely cosmetic, completely not function-affecting minor flaw doesn't seem to be in line with your concern about durability.

 

Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

 


ebreader07 wrote:

My Nook has recently shown a crack below the bottom right arrow some 14 months after receiving it as a gift.  I did call B&N and they won't replace the Nook nor do the sell the frame as a separate item.


With the durability of the Nook not very good, I WILL look elsewhere for my next eReader.  I like good quality items not things that break down in a "planned obsolescence" manner.  I touted the Nook before.  Never will one hear that from my lips again.


Then I guess you won't be buying a Kindle - same problem. Maybe you could go for a Sony, but those cost a bit more...

 

New User
VBprincess
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

I developed a crack on the right side forward button, just below it and called support.  My warranty expired 30 days ago and they would not replace it!  Obviously it's a known product defect!  He even tried to sell me the new Nook coming out!  Not happy and I'm still fighting this..

New User
VBprincess
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎06-23-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

Same thing with me!  13 months old and cracked.  This is obviously a product defect and B&N should stand behind this product.  I paid the higher $249 for the original and 3 weeks later the priced dropped.  Talked about adding insult to injury..

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

[ Edited ]

Just wanted everyone to see this - clearly this poster is a troll who forgot to sign out of one troll and into another.  :smileywink:

 

Initial post:


VBprincess wrote:

I developed a crack on the right side forward button, just below it and called support.  My warranty expired 30 days ago and they would not replace it!  Obviously it's a known product defect!  He even tried to sell me the new Nook coming out!  Not happy and I'm still fighting this..


 

Response:


VBprincess wrote:

Same thing with me!  13 months old and cracked.  This is obviously a product defect and B&N should stand behind this product.  I paid the higher $249 for the original and 3 weeks later the priced dropped.  Talked about adding insult to injury..





Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
Posts: 1,317
Registered: ‎09-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook


Ya_Ya wrote:

Just wanted everyone to see this - clearly this poster is a troll who forgot to sign out of one troll and into another.  :smileywink:





I just figured it's a case of ADD and she was responding to her own post. :smileytongue:

Contributor
JenniL
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook


Ya_Ya wrote:

Just wanted everyone to see this - clearly this poster is a troll who forgot to sign out of one troll and into another.  :smileywink:

 



To be fair, couldn't it be that the author posted the comment and then intended to reply to another comment in the thread and the two simply showed up one right after the other?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
Posts: 3,334
Registered: ‎09-29-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

[ Edited ]

JenniL wrote:


To be fair, couldn't it be that the author posted the comment and then intended to reply to another comment in the thread and the two simply showed up one right after the other?


It's entirelly possible, I suppose, except in threaded view both responses appear to be to the OP and wer made within minutes of each other.  They provide almost no different info, one says out of warranty and one clarifies 13 months, and one claims to have paid $249 a price at which NOOK was never sold.  

 

I rarely call troll, but I did this time.

 

However, she did post one other time about the v1.4 update months ago.  So maybe I have to retract my "troll" and go with "unreasonably entitled ranting poster who I hope is happy with whatever competitor's product she buys so she won't rant again."  (Except, of course, many people put unreasonably untitled won't be satisfied, right firmly in the troll camp.  I don't unless you whine about it.)

Reader 2
ebreader07
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎04-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked Nook

[ Edited ]

 

ebreader07 wrote:

My Nook has recently shown a crack below the bottom right arrow some 14 months after receiving it as a gift.  I did call B&N and they won't replace the Nook nor do the sell the frame as a separate item.


With the durability of the Nook not very good, I WILL look elsewhere for my next eReader.  I like good quality items not things that break down in a "planned obsolescence" manner.  I touted the Nook before.  Never will one hear that from my lips again.



YaYa wrote:
Um, forgive me if I'm wrong, but replacing an item for a purely cosmetic, completely not function-affecting minor flaw doesn't seem to be in line with your concern about durability.

 

 


 

You made the assumption that I will replace it solely because of the defect.  That is incorrect.  I was merely stating what I would do when I did replace the item.