Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Cracked buttons and skins

I've been reading quite a few posts about folks having problems with the arrow buttons cracking.

I was wondering if those of you who use the skins/decals find that it helps prevent this?

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked buttons and skins

Desert_Brat wrote:

I've been reading quite a few posts about folks having problems with the arrow buttons cracking.

I was wondering if those of you who use the skins/decals find that it helps prevent this?

I've had my Nook for a year.  It has a skin on it, no cracked bezel.  I use the buttons and the swipe method alternately.  Did the skin help, I have no idea.  

If it had a cracked bezel, I'm not sure I'd even try and replace it.  It would depend on how severe the crack was and if it affected using the Nook, otherwise, I'd just keep the skin on because my Nook works perfectly in all other ways.  The Nookguy at the store yesterday said it's mainly cosmetic, the ones in the store are cracked (they take a lot of abuse) and still work fine.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

darned duplicate post.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

This is a problem common with buttons of this nature. If you bend anything often enough it will crack. When it cracks depends on the material, environment, and use. The environment can speed up leeching of oils in plastic making it brittle and fracture sooner. Your skin or decal will help prolong the life in this regard by helping to reduce leeching. Avoiding long exposure to heat or direct sunlight will help most.

People experienced cracking around the buttons within the first year and this indicates the bezel or design was defective. Too much hardener or heat during curing will cause plastic to be more brittle than it should be. A spring that is too weak allows the button to flex more than it should. Misplaced reinforcement behind the bezel can cause unnecessary stress points.

Exactly what caused the problem in some of the earlier units has not been disclosed to my knowledge, just a lot of speculation. B&N has assured us the problem has been addressed and is no longer a problem. We have to accept that.  Based on my dealings with B&N so far, I have no reason to doubt their assurance.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

I went a month or so before I started using skins for my Nook. I've also pondered if the skins helped prevent or delay cracking. I swipe about 80% of the time so I'm sure that helps, too.

Inspired Contributor
Jason_Corner
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I work in a Barnes and Noble, and every customer who has a cracked button problem all recieved their Nooks before last spring.  I'm sure this is the point where the exceptions to that jump in, but I think you can feel pretty safe that this is extremely rare for any Nook purchased after that point.  It seems there were some issues with the first few batches.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

All you're going to get is anecdotal evidence, which may or may not really mean anything.

That said, I put a skin on my original NOOK a couple of weeks after getting it and the button cracked after three months.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Nallia wrote:

All you're going to get is anecdotal evidence, which may or may not really mean anything.

That said, I put a skin on my original NOOK a couple of weeks after getting it and the button cracked after three months.

Exactly. If your Nook is susceptible to premature fracturing it will fracture. 

A decal will help prolong the life of the front bezel by blocking some UV and containing some of the leeching process. It will not be for so much longer that you would ever notice this.

Frequent Contributor
xamier
0 Kudos

I got my first nook in May 2010, I put a skin on it within two weeks. The bezel cracked in November.

Xamier
Beware shiny objects that are free, for in this world there are no shiny objects that are free...Darkkin

Frequent Contributor
Anastacia01
0 Kudos

I got mine in July I have no decal and my buttons are fine not sure if this would be the new batch but i try to swipe whenever possible

Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez
0 Kudos

I received my Nook in December 2009 and I added a skin and screen shield right away.  I also have it in a very protective hard case.

My Nook buttons cracked last summer and it that hasn't impaired the page turning at all.  My battery isn't holding the charge but that is another topic altogether.

I have known about the defective bezel design for a while now but have held off attempting an exchange because so many owners have complained of the lousy customer service and lousy condition of the replacement units.  My unit if free of scratches and otherwise in good working condition so why bother going through all the anguish.

I will attempt a battery exchange but refuse to put up with the refurbished replacements.  For a well documented design flaw I would expect that BN would want to maintain a positive customer service reputation and do the right thing by exchanging the originals with brand new units.  But so far that appears not to be the case so I will hang on to my unit and hope it continues to work for me until Amazon decides to allow ALL other booksellers' ebooks on the Kindle.  I would love a new Kindle because their battery life is exceptional but so far no epub support there and no BN ebooks support.

Will attempt a battery exchange...........wish me luck!  :smileywink:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

gilgomez wrote:

I received my Nook in December 2009 and I added a skin and screen shield right away.  I also have it in a very protective hard case.

My Nook buttons cracked last summer and it that hasn't impaired the page turning at all.  My battery isn't holding the charge but that is another topic altogether.

I have known about the defective bezel design for a while now but have held off attempting an exchange because so many owners have complained of the lousy customer service and lousy condition of the replacement units.  My unit if free of scratches and otherwise in good working condition so why bother going through all the anguish.

I will attempt a battery exchange but refuse to put up with the refurbished replacements.  For a well documented design flaw I would expect that BN would want to maintain a positive customer service reputation and do the right thing by exchanging the originals with brand new units.  But so far that appears not to be the case so I will hang on to my unit and hope it continues to work for me until Amazon decides to allow ALL other booksellers' ebooks on the Kindle.  I would love a new Kindle because their battery life is exceptional but so far no epub support there and no BN ebooks support.

Will attempt a battery exchange...........wish me luck!  :smileywink:

Personally I would have exchanged the year-old nook for a refurb which would in all probability be a newer model than the one you have.  Many people can only tell they have a refurb because there's a note stating so.

There are many posts here from people who have received replacement nooks and are quite happy with them.  A lot people come to the boards with complaints; many happy customers do not post at all.  

Did you purchase an extended warranty?  

Good luck with the battery change.

Reader 4
twoplustwo
0 Kudos

My bevel cracked and so I called support on Monday. I was advised that since my Nook was under warrantey I could get a new Nook, no problem. I sent mine back and received my new one today, 3 days after my call.  It all went very smoothly except for the 45 minutes I had to wait to actually talk to someone.

That said, I opened my "new" Nook today to find out it is not new at all. It is "pre-owned."  I was specifically told I would be getting a "new" nook.  This one looks to have been well cared for and doesn't have any scratches that I notice so I haven't decided if I will call them back about it or not.  Is it worth a call or are all their "new" nooks used?

Reader 4
twoplustwo
0 Kudos

LOL! About an hour after I received my replacement Nook in the mail and a few minutes after I just posted above, I got an email from B&N with my tracking number saying my Certified Pre-Owned Barnes & Noble NOOK will be leaving the warehouse.  That's the first time I've specifically been told it wasn't new.  It would "feel" better if they were upfront about it in the first place. Since I was specifically told it would be new I feel lied to and disappointed.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

twoplustwo wrote:

My bevel cracked and so I called support on Monday. I was advised that since my Nook was under warrantey I could get a new Nook, no problem. I sent mine back and received my new one today, 3 days after my call.  It all went very smoothly except for the 45 minutes I had to wait to actually talk to someone.

That said, I opened my "new" Nook today to find out it is not new at all. It is "pre-owned."  I was specifically told I would be getting a "new" nook.  This one looks to have been well cared for and doesn't have any scratches that I notice so I haven't decided if I will call them back about it or not.  Is it worth a call or are all their "new" nooks used?

If you read the warranty, they can send you a refurb.  If you read the boards, you'll find many people complaining about it.  If it's working well and has no blemishes, they've fulfilled their obligation.  You don't say how long you had your nook, but it's a good possibility the refurb is a newer model than the used, defective one you returned.

Enjoy your "new"-to-you nook.

:smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

You don't say how long you had your nook, but it's a good possibility the refurb is a newer model than the used, defective one you returned.

I was a bit surprised to see that the refurb on its way to me has a lower serial number than my 10-month-old NOOK 3G. I'd been kind of hoping it might be one of the newer models with the light sensor. I don't know if "lower serial number" really translates into "earlier build date". It's quite possible that the upper digits of the serial number indicate which plant the unit was built in, rather than the order it was built in.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what it looks like when I get it.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My refurb Wifi arrived yesterday and its serial number starts 1004 and the one I'm sending back started 1003.  I also wondered if it were a newer (not that any of the Wifis are old) NOOK or just another factory...

Funnily enough, I just about five minutes ago got the email from B&N telling me the new-to-me NOOK's serial number and that it was packed and ready to ship.  I can track it tomorrow.  :smileyvery-happy:  (I did get the RMA and return label immediately after I hung up with CS.  I got the "Scheduled to Ship" email on Tuesday.)  It looks perfect, it works perfectly and I'm reading library books again, so I'm a happy girl.  

Actually, after they receive my original and we're all finished, I plan to post a very happy NOOKer message.  :smileywink:

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I was a bit surprised to see that the refurb on its way to me has a lower serial number than my 10-month-old NOOK 3G. I'd been kind of hoping it might be one of the newer models with the light sensor. I don't know if "lower serial number" really translates into "earlier build date". It's quite possible that the upper digits of the serial number indicate which plant the unit was built in, rather than the order it was built in.

Anyway, I'll be curious to see what it looks like when I get it.

Your old one doesn't have a light sensor? The sensor itself should be located to the left of the n on the touch screen. i.e. not visible.

The replacement I received is s/n 1000xxx and has a light sensor. It takes a few seconds to make an adjustment when the ambient light changes. The one it replaced (s/n 1002xxx) I thought adjusted faster but there is no way to tell now. Auto adjust brightness is one of the first things I disabled on both nooks.

Turning brightness all the way down essentially disables auto adjust. The brightest it can get is the highest available range in that setting.

Contributor
fairweather9
0 Kudos

Mine just cracked a few days ago.  I have a skin on order, mostly so I don't have to look at the crack lol.  I was working on exchanging it but decided, after doing some reading here, that if it still works fine I'm going to keep my near perfect device and not chance getting a referb that has not been as gently used and loved as mine.

I got mine last March its taken till now to crack.  The strange thing is the side that broke is not the one I use the most, and I swipe more than I click.  I don't expect things to last forever, I wish they could just send a new bezel.  I just want the thing to last atleast another year, then let it can fall apart and I get to buy a new toy!!!

Frequent Contributor
GonnaTri
0 Kudos

I also just received a refurbed nook to replace mine because of a cracked bezel.  Does my 1 year warranty start over now?  I was also surprised to receive a refurb since it wasn't mentioned by customer support, but it does look like its in great shape.  If I didn't see it on the paperwork they sent I never would have known.