Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

Cracked buttons

I recently contacted B&N about my buttons being cracked on my Nook.  I got it in February of last year so it is still covered.  I thought it was just mine until I googled it and these forums came up.  I went through such a hassle getting it returned and I am so disappointed in the quality of customer service that I received.  I was on hold for an hour before I actually spoke to someone and then of course he barely speaks English.  In fact, he kept referring to my Nook as a "Nick."  I received my new one today and I open it up and it's refurbished.  I am so irate right now I can't even see straight.  I have had sooooo many problems with receiving refurbished items.  I paid what was to me a small fortune to get my Nook when it first came out and then added the protection plan for another $70 all to get someone else's broken Nook today.  I know how these companies work with fixing broken ones and resending them out.  Actually went through 5 refurbished cell phones before getting one that would work correctly. I tried emailing customer service and I receive this back from them:

Dear Valued Customer,

We received your recent email and apologize that we have not responded.
We are experiencing unusually high email volume, and want to assure you
that your concerns are always very important to us.

We invite you to have a look at our Help Desk by clicking on this link:

We?ve worked hard to include answers to many of our customer?s questions
right here, so the solution you are looking for may be right there.

If you have a question about the status of your order, please check the
information we provide on your online account.  If you placed an order
without an online account, just click on the drop down menu under My
Account in the upper right corner of our website.  Complete the
information on the left side of the screen and click on View Order.  As
always, you can rely on the information sent to you in your shipping
confirmation email, which also includes a link to track delivery.

If you still need our help, we are available by phone from 8:00 AM to
11:00 PM Monday-Friday and 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturdays and Sundays,
EST.   Call us at 1-800-THE-BOOK (843-2665), international customers can
reach us at 201-559-3882.   Please note that due to high call volume,
you may experience a delay in reaching a Customer Service
Representative.

Thanks again for your patience and loyalty during this busy time.

Sincerely,

Barnes & Noble
Are you kidding me?  You can't even respond to emails that your customers send you?  So now I have to call the 1-800 number and be forced to waste hours of my time on hold and then try to figure out exactly what your customer service rep is saying?? Bad business B&N.  And yes I know what it says in the warranty about it being 'their discretion to send a refurbished Nook' but their discretion just cost them a long time customer.  I am regretting purchasing my daughter a Nook for Christmas.  I have 45 days to return hers to Best Buy where they actually care about their customers.  Kindle is looking better and better for both her and me.  I do know that I will not be purchasing another ebook from B&N.  Amazon and Borders have my business from now on.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked buttons

[ Edited ]

jenn7600 wrote:

I have 45 days to return hers to Best Buy where they actually care about their customers.  Kindle is looking better and better for both her and me.  I do know that I will not be purchasing another ebook from B&N.  Amazon and Borders have my business from now on.  

Why I'm getting into this, I honestly can't say, but you do realize the the Kindle warranty is exactly the same and if something happens to the Kindle you have just as much chance at getting a refurbished one?

But do whatever makes you happy.  And as far as Best Buy, I've pretty much experienced nothing but crappy customer service from them and have never bought an electronic device given the service I've received on other items.  The few times I've had to call B&N, I've had wonderful service from them.

And as far as receiving a auto response to your email, I get that from almost every company I ever send an email to.  They only have so many employees and companies get thousands of emails a day.

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

I do realize that the Kindle has a similar warranty...but the Kindle that is out now is not a defective product like the first Nooks were.

As far as Best Buy, I have had nothing but exceptional service from them especially when it comes to warranties.  If my camera breaks, I take it back to them and I get a new one, not a refurbished one.  If my PS3 breaks, I take it back and get a new one.

And the automated reply irritates me simply because I will not get a response from them now, they feel as though I should waste my time on hold for an hour or more to talk to someone who I probably won't be able to understand to deal with their defective product.  This is the second time I've contacted them and received the same automated response.  Shoddy customer service if they can't bother to answer their emails.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

You know, there are several people who have posted on the boards about receiving a refurbished Nook, who were happy.  Why?  Their Nook, even though refurbished, was NEWER than their original Nook.

I'm sure this won't change your mind; do whatever will make you happy.

Myself, I have three refurbished electronic gadgets.  Two of them I purchased that way; only one is a replacement.  All three work great.  Not all tech gadgets are as touchy as cell phones (which take a lot more abuse than a Nook).

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

If I purchased my device as refurbished then that's my choice.  I did not purchase my Nook refurbished, I paid a lot of money for my Nook not a refurbished one.  I also read some positive refurbished Nooks, I also read some negative refurbished Nooks.  They can't even contact me back.  That is my problem, all that on top of getting the run around on the phone, wasted time on hold, and lied to by a B&N employee.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

Before assuming kindles have no problems, have you visited the kindle forum on the amazon site to read through the posts there?
Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

I am not assuming they don't have problems, every electronic device is going to have problems. It's how the company handles it that makes it a positive or negative experience.  

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

jenn7600 wrote:

I have 45 days to return hers to Best Buy where they actually care about their customers.  Kindle is looking better and better for both her and me.  I do know that I will not be purchasing another ebook from B&N.  Amazon and Borders have my business from now on.  

Why I'm getting into this, I honestly can't say,

Exactly :smileywink:

Move along now, people, move along.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

Feeling your pain with the shoddy refurbished models. I believe you’ve expressed your distaste before on this topic…same here.

I got my first Nook classic over a year ago and have had 4 replacements, which I believe all were refurbished. Not sure about the first replacement.  I’ve had the most recent one since November and it seems ok now after the 1.5 update.  At least it didn’t have personal pictures of the previous owner on it set to wallpaper and screensavers.

As for the Kindle3, the newest one out, I bought one when they came out and it was new but buggy.  I did an update and it fixed a few things, but not all, so be aware that it has issues too. Most first release gadgets will.  Go to the Kindle forums/boards and see what K3 problems have arisen in the past few months since they’ve been out.  I still didn’t like it and gave it away.  I like the Nook interface better.  Your preference.  

Sorry you and other folks are having problems with customer service.  I seem to luck out there. I’ve only had one bad experience with tech support concerning my digital library.  He was foreign and was reading from a manual, but even US tech support reps do that.  But this guy was making fun of some of my ebook titles and it pissed me off.  I don’t need snarky comments on my reading materials.  That was rude and a good way to lose a customer.

Best Buy is where I ultimately purchased my Nook Color due to their replacement policy. But you have to buy the better warranty, not the cheaper basic one they offer.  My first Nook Color from BN was defective and I had visions of refurbished Colors arriving for at various times during the next year.  I’d be okay with refurbished models if they had decent ones.

Buying from Best Buy isn’t going to make the Nooks (or the Kindles) any better.  B&N is going to have to fix the defects on the Nook classics and Nook Colors on the manufacturing end.  The Classics’ cracked bezels should have been fixed by now, and they haven’t.  People were having those problems around March last year.  “Fixing” requires a tweak in development and manufacturing on their part and replacing the crappy bezel with the newer improved one.

Big Idea:  BN--Make a better bezel and ship it out to the ones who have cracked ones.  I’d rather replace the bezel myself than ship my nook back and go though all those hassles.  Can’t speak for the rest of the Nook Population.

Good luck with whatever you do.  Gadgets are frustrating as you know with your phone experience.  Nothing is perfect.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

You mentioned Borders, but I'd keep an eye on them before you go buy their ereader.  They are having some financial problems and about to close their doors.  That's the prediction.  Might surprise everyone.

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

kellar wrote:

Feeling your pain with the shoddy refurbished models. I believe you’ve expressed your distaste before on this topic…same here.

I got my first Nook classic over a year ago and have had 4 replacements, which I believe all were refurbished. Not sure about the first replacement.  I’ve had the most recent one since November and it seems ok now after the 1.5 update.  At least it didn’t have personal pictures of the previous owner on it set to wallpaper and screensavers.

As for the Kindle3, the newest one out, I bought one when they came out and it was new but buggy.  I did an update and it fixed a few things, but not all, so be aware that it has issues too. Most first release gadgets will.  Go to the Kindle forums/boards and see what K3 problems have arisen in the past few months since they’ve been out.  I still didn’t like it and gave it away.  I like the Nook interface better.  Your preference.  

Sorry you and other folks are having problems with customer service.  I seem to luck out there. I’ve only had one bad experience with tech support concerning my digital library.  He was foreign and was reading from a manual, but even US tech support reps do that.  But this guy was making fun of some of my ebook titles and it pissed me off.  I don’t need snarky comments on my reading materials.  That was rude and a good way to lose a customer.

Best Buy is where I ultimately purchased my Nook Color due to their replacement policy. But you have to buy the better warranty, not the cheaper basic one they offer.  My first Nook Color from BN was defective and I had visions of refurbished Colors arriving for at various times during the next year.  I’d be okay with refurbished models if they had decent ones.

Buying from Best Buy isn’t going to make the Nooks (or the Kindles) any better.  B&N is going to have to fix the defects on the Nook classics and Nook Colors on the manufacturing end.  The Classics’ cracked bezels should have been fixed by now, and they haven’t.  People were having those problems around March last year.  “Fixing” requires a tweak in development and manufacturing on their part and replacing the crappy bezel with the newer improved one.

Big Idea:  BN--Make a better bezel and ship it out to the ones who have cracked ones.  I’d rather replace the bezel myself than ship my nook back and go though all those hassles.  Can’t speak for the rest of the Nook Population.

Good luck with whatever you do.  Gadgets are frustrating as you know with your phone experience.  Nothing is perfect.

I agree.  Send me the piece with instructions on how to fix it and I would be happy to do so.  I am perfectly happy with my Nook with the exception of the cracked buttons.  I'd rather repair my Nook then have a refurbished one.  At least if anything else happens with my Nook, I know I did it and that it wasn't because it was refurbished.  This has happened to so many Nooks maybe a recall of some sort should have been done.  They definitely haven't impressed me with the handling of the matter.
I was just given such a run around by them, one person telling me one thing, another something completely different.  I spent New Year's Eve in traffic heading to my B&N store which is 45 mins. away only to be told no exchange when I got there.....after I was told on the phone that they would exchange it.  It's the stores discretion to exchange which is why I called them.    

I mentioned Borders mainly for eBooks..I've heard the rumors also and wouldn't want to invest too heavily in a product for them.  No customer service is definitely worse than crappy customer service! 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Best Buy and Me

Me patiently waits in line at Temple Best Buy and eventually reaches the counter.

Me, "I just purchased this monitor and after hooking it up I immediately noticed there is a 1/8" wide black line across the screen near the top."

Counter, "Our Geek Squad will have to take a look at it before we can do anything."

Me is sent to another line and waits patiently. While waiting Me wonders what the singular for Geek Squad is for surely they will not send an entire squad to take care of this. After some deliberation Me decides it must be Geek.

Geek, "Next."

Me places the boxed monitor on his counter and says "Good morning."

Geek ignores the salutation, opens the box, removes the monitor and hooks it up. Me thinks maybe he is upset about the ridiculous costume he is wearing.

Geek, "I don't see anything wrong with this."

Me, "You can't see that black line across the screen?"

Geek repeats, "I don't see anything wrong with this."

Me points to the black line and asks, "What is this?"

Geek looks where I am pointing, "That's the top of the screen."

Me points above the black line, "And what do you see here? Doesn't that look like an icon and part of the part of the Windows desktop above the 'top of the screen'?"

Geek, "I don't understand there is nothing wrong with this monitor."

Me appraises this Geek and ponders what part does he not understand? If Me wanted dual displays Me would have purchased two monitors. Me asks to speak with a supervisor and is presented with a number of reasons why one is unavailable. Me considers this, has heard these arguments before, decides that one will become available sometime within the next 12 hours, and so states. Me then hauls his ancient arse on Geek's counter to make himself more comfortable during the ensuing siege.

In no time a Temple Supervisor scurries forward with four temple guardians in tow. Me isn't concerned at this sight but considers that maybe sitting on a Geek counter is taboo. Me removes his arse from the counter in deference to the Temple. After a short whispered conversation between the Temple Supervisor and the Geek, two of the temple guardians become bored and leave. One is sent out into the store to retrieve a new monitor and the last remains but can barely contain his mirth.

The Temple Supervisor turns to me and says. "I am sorry for any misunderstanding; we are getting you a new monitor." At that he turns and scurries away as fast as he arrived. Me turns to see what the Geek's reaction to this chain of events is and notice he is missing as well as the returned monitor. 

Me turns to the remaining temple guardian who is now leaning against the wall and holding his stomach trying to contain his laughter.

Me asks, "What happened to the old monitor?"

He pats me on the shoulder and whispers. "You don't want to know."

Me understands what this means. Maybe someone else wants dual displays for the price of a single monitor.

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy and Me

I've had me Nook since 12/09.  Both sides had cracked buttons before I learned I could get my Nook replaced.  I called B&N, explained what the problem was, ten minutes later had a new one on the way and an email with a return label for my old Nook.

Had the Nook in three days.  Yes, it's refurbished, but they were replacing a Nook that was used, and used happily. 

My refurbished Nook is wonderful, and sturdier than the last.  I didn't have the extended warranty, so I am happy to get a Nook that is in better shape than the one I sent to them.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

@smiller492 :  I agree with you on BN prompt shipping of replacemtent nooks. I purchased the extended warranty a year ago when I got it that has the Rapid Replacement, and always received my nooks within a few days. 

Unfortunately some of the refurbished models I received were't refurbished enough.  Had a tech actually hit some page turn buttons on them, they wouldn't have shipped them to me.  It was out of the box obvious.   The last and current nook had buggy software which was fixed with the 1.5 update.  No bezel issues with it so far. It's all good. 

Glad you got a good one.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

If you sent them back a 10 month old Nook why would you expect a new one in return?  It is highly unlikely that the Nook you received is older than yours was.  Seems to me that anyone could purposely break their Nook right before a year is up and then get a brand new one if that was the case. 

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If I caused my Nook to break  a refurbished one might be acceptable.  This a defect that B&N was well aware of and yet continued to sell them anyway hoping that people would just ignore it as I did when the first button broke.  If the second button hadn't cracked, I never would have looked into it and would have unknowingly kept the defective merchandise because they didn't want to alert their customers and lose money.  I expect a business with a name as big as B&N is to back up their products and provide customer service.  I sat on hold today for an hour and a half before hanging up because I do have a life and don't have time to wait for them to pick the phone up.  And since they don't bother answering their email and instead send a form letter out with some bullcrap instructions to look for help online,I have no other recourse but to waste time waiting for someone who can't even pronounce the product name correctly to finally answer.

You have no clue how old this Nook is.  Someone is going to be getting my 10 month old Nook after they fix it.  

Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26
0 Kudos

The CPO Nook I got for Christmas looks like new and has functioned perfectly in all respects. If it didn't say "Certified Pre-Owned" on the box, I never would have known.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

jenn7600 wrote:

If I caused my Nook to break  a refurbished one might be acceptable.  This a defect that B&N was well aware of and yet continued to sell them anyway hoping that people would just ignore it as I did when the first button broke.  If the second button hadn't cracked, I never would have looked into it and would have unknowingly kept the defective merchandise because they didn't want to alert their customers and lose money.  I expect a business with a name as big as B&N is to back up their products and provide customer service.  I sat on hold today for an hour and a half before hanging up because I do have a life and don't have time to wait for them to pick the phone up.  And since they don't bother answering their email and instead send a form letter out with some bullcrap instructions to look for help online,I have no other recourse but to waste time waiting for someone who can't even pronounce the product name correctly to finally answer.

You have no clue how old this Nook is.  Someone is going to be getting my 10 month old Nook after they fix it.  

The Nook only came out last December as far as know so the oldest Nook can't be more than 12 months old.  Yours is 10 months old.  That's almost as old as the oldest Nook out there.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

Me patiently waits in line at Temple Best Buy and eventually reaches the counter.

Hope you have another good bed time story for us tonight.

Going to need it, I am off to once again wrestle with 200 lbs off dog in obedience class. We seem to be the only ones who end up on our butts all six legs entangled. 

Love your tech stories!:smileyvery-happy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

The Nook only came out last December as far as know so the oldest Nook can't be more than 12 months old.  Yours is 10 months old.  That's almost as old as the oldest Nook out there.

It came out November 30, 2009.  It came out DEFECTIVE on that date.  I can do math and I know hold old mine is.  I did not break my Nook.  I, up til this point, have loved my Nook.  My problem is not only that I received a refurbished Nook, but that their customer service has been awful.  I can't even talk to someone about my concerns in a timely manner.  I will not receive an email back from them addressing my concerns.  If I want to talk to someone I have to wait for a very long time just to hear a voice.