Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
asgalbraith
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked buttons

I got my Nook last February.  Last week I noticed the Button on my Nook cracked. 

I called Customer Service. I was on hold for ten minutes.  I told the person the phone my button was cracked. He kindly told me I had two options for replacing the nook.  I chose to get the nook sent to me and return mine with the packaging. I got my replacement, tested it out, worked fine (in fact I think it works better than my old one. It is faster and the picture is certainly crisper than my old one.) Today I returned the broken one and I am happy. It was easy and painless.  And I thought the rep was very nice.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Ok.  I was off by one day.  My sincere apologies.  Forget anything else I said.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

geatdanemomDT wrote:

Me patiently waits in line at Temple Best Buy and eventually reaches the counter.

Hope you have another good bed time story for us tonight.

Going to need it, I am off to once again wrestle with 200 lbs off dog in obedience class. We seem to be the only ones who end up on our butts all six legs entangled. 

Love your tech stories!:smileyvery-happy:

Naw, I just blew coffee out my nose when I read about Best Buy who really cares about their customers. I have done plenty of business at Best Buy and I never would have guessed they cared about little ole me based on my experience.

Reader
schutzrt
0 Kudos

Re: Best Buy and Me

I was just wondering if your one year warranty was up? I also got my nook in 12/09. My warranty is now up and I have a cracked button. I called customer service and was told that since my warranty was up my best bet was to buy a new nook. I asked if there was anything they could do to help me out and they suggested that I look at the nookcolor.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

schutzrt wrote:

I was just wondering if your one year warranty was up? I also got my nook in 12/09. My warranty is now up and I have a cracked button. I called customer service and was told that since my warranty was up my best bet was to buy a new nook. I asked if there was anything they could do to help me out and they suggested that I look at the nookcolor.

Send Micheal_V [Admin] a private message explaining your situation.

Normally I would say if it is out of warranty, things fail and occasionally it happens shortly after the warranty period. In this case however, this is a manufacturer's defect BN acknowleged a number of months ago. BN claims to have corrected the problem and have been issuing warranty exchanges freely for those that experienced the problem.

Unfortunately, you happen to have experienced the problem just out of warranty. You are also one of only a handful that have a nook that is out of warranty.

New User
mag22
0 Kudos

I started reading some of these posts and it looks like everyone has different experiences.  I usually never complain and have been relatively happy with B&N and my Nook.  But... I do have an original with the known manufacturer defect with the button cracking.  At first I was expecting a new one to be sent that no longer has the KNOWN MANUFACTURER defect.  I opened the box and of course it was a refurbished one, ok that's fine I guess.  BUT, it's in horrible shape with scratches all over the reading screen as well as the lower touch screen.  I called customer service, waiting what seems to be the normal 30 minutes, and was told that that is just how it is.  I have 2 options, keep this piece of crap refurbished one and return mine, or Keep it and return mine.  Oh, I can call again tomorrow or the next day and go through the process again when the system is updated, not to mention wait on hold for another 30 minutes, and try to get a replacement for my replacement.

I'm agreeing with another poster.  I paid over $200 for this thing not even a year ago with a warranty to go with it.  Instead of fulfilling the warranty to the full degree; meaning replacing their broken product with one of excellent quality (new or used).  Seriously B&N, I expected better.  At least have a process that also includes having competent people working on the refurbished ones if that is the route you are taking.  I buy tons of books from B&N, my family and friends do as well. I’ve promoted this product to everyone who asks my opinion.  If this is what they are to expect for customer service from your products and your people, I will do my best to let them know what to expect.  I haven't given up but am very close.  I'll wait once more on the phone I guess, hopefully things improve, but I'm doubtful at this point. Come one B&N!

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mag22 wrote:

....it was a refurbished one, ok that's fine I guess.  BUT, it's in horrible shape with scratches all over the reading screen as well as the lower touch screen.  I called customer service, waiting what seems to be the normal 30 minutes, and was told that that is just how it is. on the phone I guess, hopefully things improve, but I'm doubtful at this point....

You were told wrong. The unit you describe is out of spec.

From this website:

Certified Pre-Owned Nooks undergo a comprehensive 14 point inspection, rework and verification process performed by Barnes & Noble certified technicians...

Cosmetics:
Display free of cracks and scratches (like NEW) 
Front panel/bezel free of cracks, dents, pitting and scratching (like NEW) 
Back panel free of cracks and scratches 

Functions:
Power On test 
Battery monitor check 
Charging verification 
Initiate hard reset 
Menu function test 
Factory settings verification 
eBook shopping test 
Wireless connectivity verification 
Quick Start Guide check 
Display quality check 
Reflash system to factory settings 

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

schutzrt wrote:

My Nook was still under the 1 year warranty so they had to replace it.  I'd try calling again (good luck with the wait time, some experience next to none and others experience ridiculous wait times) and talk to someone else then go above them if needed and stress to them that this is a FACTORY DEFAULT.  They are well aware of the problem, suggesting you buy a Nookcolor is just laughable.  Feeds right into my consistently lowering opinion of them.  

mag22-You need to call again and again.  I would not accept a piece of crap like that in any way, shape or form.  I did open the one they sent me and it looks fine.  I'm still so p***** off that I haven't even bothered turning it on to see if it works. 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

jenn7600 wrote:

... I'm still so p***** off that I haven't even bothered turning it on to see if it works. 

Jenn, take a breath. In an argument or dispute, if you loose your temper you have already lost.

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

Naw, I just blew coffee out my nose when I read about Best Buy who really cares about their customers. I have done plenty of business at Best Buy and I never would have guessed they cared about little ole me based on my experience.

I have returned many, many things to Best Buy and never encountered one problem.  From my DSLR camera to a Playstation 3..they plugged it in and checked to see if it worked, saw what was wrong and got me a new one.  My daughter dropped her iPod touch in the toilet, took it in, they checked to see if it turned on which it didn't and got me a new one even though water damage is not covered by the warranty technically.  She cracked the screen on the 2nd one, got a new one.  Had to pay $50 for that one since that isn't covered under the manufactures warranty but hey, $50 beats the cost of the original one.  Every single time they went out of there way to help me.  I did not deal with the Geek Squad at all during any of those, they were all handled at the customer service desk.  The only Geek Squad interaction was them plugging any of them in and reporting back to the customer service desk that it was broken.  Sorry to say, but that customer service has beat B&N by a landslide.  And when I email Best Buy with a question about a warranty, I ALWAYS receive a response.  Not a form letter telling me that they won't be responding and to call them to wait on hold to talk to someone who know's nothing,.  

Contributor
jenn7600
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

jenn7600 wrote:

... I'm still so p***** off that I haven't even bothered turning it on to see if it works. 

Jenn, take a breath. In an argument or dispute, if you loose your temper you have already lost.

Very true...but doesn't make me feel any better.  All I wanted was to talk to someone and haven't gotten to since the day I sat on hold with them.  Every other time I'm forced to sit there and wait..I haven't been lucky enough to get through in 10 minutes.  I just don't have that kind of time which is why I emailed them.
 Oh well.  I've already changed my eBook buying habits.  And when it's time for another eReader, I'll be looking at others before I bother to look at what B&N has to offer.  

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@ jenn

We have had vastly different experiences with each company. That's life. We are all just a dot on a bell curve.

Posting here is not the same as posting a product review on Amazon, Best Buy, Newegg, etc. Here you are interacting with other people directly. Posting your displeasure with BN on these forums is not going to relieve your frustration. All you are accomplishing is visiting your frustration on people who have no control over your situation and had no part in contributing to it.

I hope you get over your anger and try the replacement nook. You paid for it as well as books you purchased through BN. There is no reason not to purchase books at other stores. You can purchase books through Google, Borders, Sony and a number of other sites. Those can also be read on your nook.

New User
AvidReaderDV
0 Kudos

Re: Cracked buttons- Disappointed in B&N

I too have experienced cracked buttons on my Nook.  Less than 1yr. old.  I went to the B&N store where I purchased it and the sales person called customer service for me.  That is when I found out that I would receive a refurbished Nook.  I would understand this if the Nook was out of warranty, but since it's not, this is just bad business.  I was told at the store that they have seen this problem before, and it's not uncommon.  Apparently the newer Nooks are made with a thicker face plate so this doesn't happen.  So I kept my own Nook, and I am looking at other book readers, after all B&N is not the only company making book readers.  With that being said, I am very disappointed in B&N, I am an avid reader and purchased all of my books through them.  From now on I will be shopping elsewhere.  Oh, by the way, the Manager was very rude.  His sales staff had more manners than he.  What a disappointment.

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

@jen7600---  I did open the one they sent me and it looks fine.  I'm still so p***** off that I haven't even bothered turning it on to see if it works.

Don’t wait too long to turn it on and do your own testing on it. You only have 14 days from the time you receive the replacement to return your old one or else you get charged for it.  It would be nice if you could go into a bricks & mortar store for all these issues.  

I would buy a new Nook Classic if I was confident that they fixed the bezel problems, but after all the posts of people with recent purchases with cracked buttons, I don’t think it has been.

14 Point Check?  Really? Me thinks they don't know how to count.  :smileymad:

Frequent Contributor
kellar
0 Kudos

Then 4 of my replacements have been Out of Spec.  Disappointing on BN part.

Quality Control please.

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Yeah, it happened to me twice,

I'm not much of an email person, as I hate waiting for replys, so I called them and yes I waited about 20 minutes ti get a human on the line...I guess I'm more of an instant gratification person. Anyway, they were very helpful and I sent mine out to them for a replacement and got my " New " refurbished Nook by the end of the week. I guess it's a technology thing, that I don't NEED " to take advantage of: Emailing support:smileysad: I've done this with other Tech companies, and I've never been that happy with the out come. I prefer to hear a persons voice on the other end of a phone . People complain about waiting forever on the phone for help....but, it.s still alot quicker then an email reply !

Reader
7th_Trump
0 Kudos

I'm in the same boat.  I bought my Nook in Feb. 2010 and discovered the cracked button last week.  Called customer support and I was told they could do nothing for me since I was out of warranty.  The customer rep was polite enough, so I'm not complaining about the call I made.  However B&N needs to do something to satisfy the customer.  Why can't they just switch out the face plate instead of giving me a refurbished Nook?  Seems like that would be a cheaper option.  They really should have some options besides "buy a new Nook."

I'm not interested in the Nook Color.  I think the e-ink is a lot easier to read for long periods of time then a lighted screen.  I do a lot of work on the computer as an engineer.  So it's nice to rest my eyes on the e-ink.

The cracked button is an annoyance at most.  The cracked button still functions, it's just not as smooth as before.  Plus I still can turn pages with the other button or swipe it if need be.  I still enjoy my Nook even with the design flaw.

My plan is to hold on to my defective Nook as long as I can, and buy a new one when the price gets below $100.  I've heard they have made the buttons more robust by making a design change in the newer Nooks.  So hopefully when I purchase new one, I won't need to worry about the buttons.

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner

7th_Trump wrote:

I'm in the same boat.  I bought my Nook in Feb. 2010 and discovered the cracked button last week.  Called customer support and I was told they could do nothing for me since I was out of warranty.  The customer rep was polite enough, so I'm not complaining about the call I made.  However B&N needs to do something to satisfy the customer.  Why can't they just switch out the face plate instead of giving me a refurbished Nook?  Seems like that would be a cheaper option.  They really should have some options besides "buy a new Nook."

I'm really just addessing the "whay can't they just switch out the face plate " comment here. Most of what you said later we pretty much agree on :-)

Having just had the experience of diassembling my sisters pre-washed nook for the education of it. It's not all that easy to get the bezel off, and replacing it would take a fixture to remount it.

The bezel is applied with double sided tape and it's VERY aggressive. Your choice for removal is to use hot air on the bezel and possibly smelting the unit down or to take it off in teeny tiny pieces.

Putting the new one on would pretty well suck as any missalignment would either cause the page turn keys to fail or have the bezel look like crap. And once that tape contacts the mounting surface its there for good, no adjusting, no fiddling until it's "just" right.

So here's the deal, do you want to return a unit to have the bezel replaced and wait a few weeks or months while it's sent to a repair station, maybe fixed, probably misrouted, lost, found, lost again, found and then maybe by an act of God the right one is returned? Or accept that it's a loss once its out of warranty or a total refurb if its IN warranty??

These things are commodity items now, when my sister washed hers I didn't assume that it sucked because it could stand a spin cycle. I bought her a refurb from Buy.com for $99.00 delivered, swapped in the SD card and had fun with the pieces.

BTW, it's pretty kewl inside a nook :-)

New User
dianaiad
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

jenn7600 wrote:

Very true...but doesn't make me feel any better.  All I wanted was to talk to someone and haven't gotten to since the day I sat on hold with them.  Every other time I'm forced to sit there and wait..I haven't been lucky enough to get through in 10 minutes.  I just don't have that kind of time which is why I emailed them.
 Oh well.  I've already changed my eBook buying habits.  And when it's time for another eReader, I'll be looking at others before I bother to look at what B&N has to offer.  

Jenn,  I have read your posts regarding your Nook several times now...and believe me, I understand about customer service problems!

I called B & N the day before yesterday about my Nook, and was told to call back in a few days to find out whether mine was a 'replacible' problem. I didn't get the feeling that the tech rep understood the problem, and I gave up.

However, I called again this morning, just on a whim, and after a mere five minutes, got through to a rep who didn't even blink; I have an e-mail with the return number in my 'inbox,' and a new Nook on the way to replace the one I have with the cracked button.

I didn't have a clue that Nook was having problems with this...but the willingness of the rep to replace it, and the ease of the transaction, made me curious; why would they replace a Nook because there was a crack in the case? Wouldn't they simply assume that it was me beating it up?  After all, I've had my Nook for not quite a year....and I do love it.

Until I read this thread I had no idea that the Nook I'm getting is refurbished, either...but I don't mind refurbished. In fact, when I go buy computers and other electronic equipment, I prefer refurbished. Why? 

..........because someone else has already test driven it, found the problems, and those problems got fixed. I've never had a problem with refurbished stuff, and it's certainly less expensive!  So, if I get a refurbished Nook, well....I'll figure that whatever was wrong with it is now fixed, and I've got a 'better than new' bit of equipment.

Not that I'll put up with it if it isn't, mind you...I just don't feel insulted at the thought of getting a refurbished Nook in place of this one. If IT has a button crack down the line, though, I will expect a replacement, no matter how long I've had the thing. Manufacturer's defects, which evidently this is, should be taken care of, warranty or no warranty. (and I don't have an extended warranty of any sort. I bought my Nook from a local B & N store.)

Here's the thing: I was a supervisor at a call-in technical support center. I'm the one who GOT those escalated calls from irate customers, and I know that they can do all sorts of things that the basic reps can't. Next time you call, no matter how long the wait time is, if the rep can't help you, ask for the supervisor. Then ask for HIS (or hers.)

I'm sorry you had such a rough time...and I hope that, since this was posted a couple of months or so ago, that your issue has been resolved satisfactorily.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

@dianaiad wrote:

Always good to check the date on the post/thread you are responding to. That one is almost 5 months old and Jenn has not been seen around here since Jan.

Welcome to the Boards!!!:smileyhappy:

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A