Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
jpegs
0 Kudos

Creating Shelves in My Documents

When I create shelves under "My Documents" they've lately been disappearing when I sideload new .epubs. And all my books revert back to being "unshelved". Is this normal?

Peg

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Creating Shelves in My Documents

jpegs wrote:

When I create shelves under "My Documents" they've lately been disappearing when I sideload new .epubs. And all my books revert back to being "unshelved". Is this normal?

Peg

Since you've mentioned "My Documents" I will assume you have a Nook Classic e-ink model, versus the "My Files" on a Nook Color.

New additions will always appear unshelved until you manually add them to a shelf book by book.

As for the other books and shelves. Double check that you don't have "Hide Shelves" turned on. And check your View options.

Hope this helps.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
New User
jpegs
0 Kudos

Yes, I'm using a basic Nook -- not a Color Nook.

I do manually shelve all my new additions. Last week I had 58 books neatly shelved in four shelves. When I would add new books (.epubs), they would appear as "unshelved" until I put them on a shelf.

Last night I uploaded six new .epubs from my computer. When I turned on my Nook, there were no shelves, and all the books were in the category "unshelved". ("Hide Shelves" is not selected).

I went into an online chat with Barnes & Noble Tech Support and their tech, Jason, told me that it wasn't possible to create shelves under "My Documents". That shelves were reserved only for books downloaded from Barnes & Noble.

I explained to him that I'd been using shelves in "My Documents" ever since I first got my Nook. He said that that was impossible and cut off the chat session.

I'd just like to be able to use the shelves that I've created in "My Documents". It made things simpler to be able to categorize them.

Peg

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

jpegs wrote:

Yes, I'm using a basic Nook -- not a Color Nook.

I do manually shelve all my new additions. Last week I had 58 books neatly shelved in four shelves. When I would add new books (.epubs), they would appear as "unshelved" until I put them on a shelf.

Last night I uploaded six new .epubs from my computer. When I turned on my Nook, there were no shelves, and all the books were in the category "unshelved". ("Hide Shelves" is not selected).

I went into an online chat with Barnes & Noble Tech Support and their tech, Jason, told me that it wasn't possible to create shelves under "My Documents". That shelves were reserved only for books downloaded from Barnes & Noble.

I explained to him that I'd been using shelves in "My Documents" ever since I first got my Nook. He said that that was impossible and cut off the chat session.

I'd just like to be able to use the shelves that I've created in "My Documents". It made things simpler to be able to categorize them.

Peg

I, too, have been using Shelves since it became available. And I might have a quirky unit, but in My Documents, I can see ALL of my books on the shelves, including the B&N ones, whereas in my B&N Library, I only see the B&N books.

The only other thing I can think of that might create a problem is if you forgot to properly eject the nook before unplugging it from the computer.

Have you tried turnng the nook completely off, waiting a few seconds and then turning it back on again? This has worked for me when things get screwy, which fortunately hasn't been too often.

You might also want to pose this question over in the Nook Tech Support forum to see if someone there might have the definitive fix. I'll put the link below.

Hope it gets straightened out.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Technical-Support/bd-p/nooksupport

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

I've never had that happen. Furthermore, the shelves in My Documents are supposed to be exactly the same as the shelves in B&N Library. If you lost your shelves in one, you should have lost your shelves in both (that can happen if NOOK gets unregistered).

The first thing I'd try is rebooting your NOOK. Hold the power button down for 20 seconds to shut it all the way down, then turn it back on. NOOK is just another computerized gizmo that will occasionally lose its mind for no particular reason.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

It's pitiful when a B&N online tech person hasn't read the manual, and apparently hasn't used the Nook Classic with the latest software installed. Mr. Jason's response takes the cake.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

I've never had that happen. Furthermore, the shelves in My Documents are supposed to be exactly the same as the shelves in B&N Library. If you lost your shelves in one, you should have lost your shelves in both (that can happen if NOOK gets unregistered).

On my nook I can hide or show shelves in either library independently. For example I can hide shelves in My Documents and show shelves in the B&N Library or visa versa.

New User
dneighbors
0 Kudos

I just manually sideloaded epubs to my nook and also lost all my shelves. In fact, I no longer had any items in My Library. When I clicked My Library, it would say "No Items" and then automatically switch over to "My Documents" with all my books unshelved. I connected to my wi-fi connection, clicked on My Library, had to hit the back arrow once, and then clicked "Go to My B&N Library". It updated it and all my shelves reappeared exactly as they were before the manual sideload and included my new books from the sideload in the Unshelved section. Whew! What a relief!! I hope this helps.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Realize the OP is a little older, but since this floated to the top, I figured I'd drop my two cents in.

In addition to ideas already mentioned, if you are using a program such as Calibre to sideload the content, the program may be "updating" your existing files and inadvertently causing the NOOK mistake them as new, unshelved items. This would also cause the shelf to "disappear", as any created shelf not utilized in My Documents will not be displayed on the main screen, only in the screen you use to place/remove items from a shelf.

I'm by no means a Calibre expert (though I'm sure some could chime in) but I had a similar problem awhile back with Calibre altering the date accessed of older files when I used it to place new files on the NOOK. I'm not running the latest update of Calibre, so its quirks may have changed.

At least, I think, life with shelves is better than life before they introduced them.

New User
mountainmystic
0 Kudos

Just this week i purchased my first Nook, the Classic, and last night when i created a named "shelf" all of the sample books i had downloaded disappeared. Also the few "free books" (Little Women, Dracula, etc) that came on the Nook disappeared. This seems really odd. i have the one book i had loaded on there (written by a friend) and that's all that's left. Do i need to speak or chat witha  tech person or is this normal?

thank you!

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright

@mountainmystic:

You're details are a little sketchy, so I'll try to interpret and hope it's helpful.\

With the N1E (or "Classic", if you prefer) you have 2 areas under My Library: My B&N Library and My Documents. Content directly downloaded to the NOOK (samples, free books, whatever) will appear under My B&N Library. Any sideloaded content (possibly your friend's book) will appear under My Documents.

Shelves will appear under both areas, but books will only appear while in the appropriate one or the other, not both.

From what you describe, you appear to be viewing the My Documents area currently. The first choice on the touchscreen's main menu should be Go to My B&N Library. Choose that and you should see those other books.

Contributor
treehouse_reader
0 Kudos

I'm having a similar issue with disappearing books - frequently.  I posted about it, but no responses.  I have the Nook 1st Edition.  I have lots of stuff in my B&N Library and My Documents - but I've got a big SD card and both the Nook internal memory or the SD are about 82% free.

I connect to my computer and add something to My Documents.  I make sure I eject both Nook and the SD and disconnect.  I open my Nook - and every single document is gone from My documents - all that remains are the shelve headings.  The documents ARE there - I can find them by searching - but they don't show.  Sometimes searching for new content fixes bit, but usually not.  Sometimes rebooting fixes it, but increasingly it does not.  Only thing that still works is switching from My Document to My Library and back.  Today, I downloaded some B&N books to My Library.  I went to shelve them - not there.  I switched to My Documents and back - not there.  I rebooted and they still weren't there, plus all of My Documents had disappeared again.  I switched back and forth from My Documents to My Library several times and everything finally appeared.

Something is buggy.  This just started happening after free space on my SD dropped below about 85-90%, but I'm not sure if that caused it.

Any ideas?