Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
05MAKO
0 Kudos

Customer Service...NOT!!!!!!

I purchased a NOOK in Feb. 2010 and enjoyed it for about 8 months then the forward buttons cracked. Contacted B&N and was told send it to us shipping compliments of them and we will replace it with a refurbed one or a new one. I thought wow all the negativity seems unwarranted, boy was I fooled. I sent my Nook to B&N with a shipping label supplied by them and they recieved it on NOV.18th, 2010. To this day Jan. 31,2011 I still have not gotten my Nook or any other Nook from them. After countless hrs on the phone, several e-mails and even talking with a B&N supervisor nothing. I have not been able to get a straight anserw or any resolution to this problem at all. I am so disappointed in B&N customer service and B&N as a whole I could just scream. I have already informed many of my friends and family to forget anything from B&N. If this is their way of dealing with customers problems I see an end in sight in the very near future of this company. It's no wonder the co. has been for sale for so long.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

Re: Customer Service...NOT!!!!!!

[ Edited ]

05MAKO, having to wait 2 1/2 months for a Nook replacement is uncalled for and you did explain that you have even spoken to a Supervisor, yet, no Nook has arrived.  This is just a suggestion on my part, but send a letter to Barnes and Noble Customer Service and on the outside of the envelope write, "Executive Complaint."  Find out the name of the Manager and address it to Manager and demand that you receive a prompt reply.  Also, another suggestion if you are willing, go to the Post Office and fill out a Signature required form.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

To many exclamation points your are now docked in your allotment of exclamation points due to your over usage of endangered punctuation species.

Thank you for your input, we are taking it up with higher authorities when we can get our protective colanders on.  :smileyvery-happy:

Two posts, same theme, actually same run on paragraph was two to many, if y'all are going to swoop and rant - keep it to one post and learn to use paragraphs so that we all can make heads and tails of the inanity.

Thank you for your participation in this exercise. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

The OP's situation is a perfect example of why we need an Admin on this board.  Michael-V would most likely have jumped in and asked for a PM with contact info and he would have checked into it.  We're floundering here now (and I don't mean something is fishy)...

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

@05MAKO

I take it you did not opt for Rapid Replacement.

Is the nook still registered to your account?

While B&N pays for shipping, UPS actually emails the label. Where does UPS say the package was delivered? It should have been an address in Nogales, AZ.

Did you clearly mark the package with the RMA number? If not, it's probably languishing somewhere waiting for someone to notice it and try to figure out what to do with it.

What does B&N say is going on? Was a unit shipped to you and you didn't receive it or was it never shipped?

Contributor
05MAKO
0 Kudos

Nook is still registered to me  and I did recieve the shipping label from UPS.Also it was sent to Nagales, AZ. Yes I did clearly mark the outside of the package with the RMA #. Unit has not been shipped to me at all. B&N said there was alot going on over the holidays sorry for the inconveinence. We will take care of this asap that was four weeks ago. Last contact with B&N was Monday Jan.24th and they said I should have it in 3 to 5 busniess days. Still waitnig I did everything the way I was instructed and still nothing.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

05MAKO wrote:

Nook is still registered to me  and I did recieve the shipping label from UPS.Also it was sent to Nagales, AZ. Yes I did clearly mark the outside of the package with the RMA #. Unit has not been shipped to me at all. B&N said there was alot going on over the holidays sorry for the inconveinence. We will take care of this asap that was four weeks ago. Last contact with B&N was Monday Jan.24th and they said I should have it in 3 to 5 busniess days. Still waitnig I did everything the way I was instructed and still nothing.

If the nook is still registered in your name it sounds like they have lost the package. One of the first things they are supposed to do is unregister it.

I am at a loss. The employee\customer rep who used to monitor these boards for unusual situations like yours is apparently no longer here. You can try sending a private message to one of the other admistrators on this board and see if they respond.

I know its no consolation but I had my unit replaced mid Nov and received it when promised. What you are experiencing is not the norm.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Normally I am the first one to roll my eyes at something like this but in this case I am feeling for the OP.  Man that sucks, something ain't right.  I wish there was something I can do, I would of just about driven to AZ myself by now (and I am in Ohio ha ha) to see if I could find it.

Does UPS have tracking?  I would think someone would know where the package is in this day and age.

I am at a loss on advice unfotunately.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I just received a replacement for my replacement about a week ago,  so they are sending them out,  though it took several phone calls to get the ball rolling,    Did you by chance save the UPS tracking number to show that it was delivered back to B&N?

Linda

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I know I've had to call them and although they say they are expressing the new nook to me I know that I won't get it for several days still.

It's the facility that they use for their shipping. They always take forever!!

My replacement nook was supposed to be in my hands by today, but that isn't going to happen as it is just now leaving New Jersey, where my replacement is coming from.

I wasn't sure how to write the REM or whatever that number is on it, I was going to ask the person at the UPS store.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Alanakat wrote:

I know I've had to call them and although they say they are expressing the new nook to me I know that I won't get it for several days still.

It's the facility that they use for their shipping. They always take forever!!

My replacement nook was supposed to be in my hands by today, but that isn't going to happen as it is just now leaving New Jersey, where my replacement is coming from.

I wasn't sure how to write the REM or whatever that number is on it, I was going to ask the person at the UPS store.

Both times I used the UPS label I was emailed to return, the RA number was printed on the label, automatically.    Near the bottom, in small print.

LInda

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alanakat wrote:

RMA = Return Material Authorization. This number is used to route incoming shipments to the appropriate department for disposition.

Anywhere and everywhere on the box that doesn't cover the shipping label write RMA XXXXXX. Where XXXXXX is the number provided by customer support. It wouldn't hurt to also put a slip of paper in the box with the RMA number and a brief description of the problem. For example;

RMA XXXXX

Warranty replacement

Issue: cracked frame, will not start up, or whatever the problem is

Every company I am aware of uses this method of tracking incoming shipments. Some companies I worked for refused to accept shipments that were not marked with the RMA number. The best method I have seen is where the RMA number is included as information on the shipping label. BN and many companies do not do this.

@mykoffee 

That information was not on the shipping label I received. I think it depends on who is writing up the information for UPS.

Contributor
05MAKO
0 Kudos

The site in Nagales recieved my Nook on Nov. 18th and it was signed for by Perez at 1:30 in the afternoon. They have recieved it and know i sent it in but up to this point nothing. I have the UPS tracking #, RMA# and serial #. I too would almost drive there if i wasn't in Florida. I guess another phone call tomorrow and another hour of my life will be gone.

I swear if i get my old one or a replacement one from B&N i will not purchase another thing from B&N i hate to be that way but 2 and half months is utterly rediculous. I will try to sell this Nook on e-bay or to someone locally. After all this ordeal i will send a certified letter to the executives and tell them how pathetic this whole ordeal has been and how they have lost not only a satisfied customer up to the point of sending back the broken Nook and  i will inform all my family and friends of the incompetents of the customer service. 

Reader 4
Princess_Readalot

Wow - When I had the cracked bezel issue, 10 months after purchase, the nook still worked so I hung on to it until AFTER I got the replacement.  Given I had a working nook, there was no way I was going to ship it out without having the replacement in my hot little hand.  They gave me 2 weeks after replacement to ship back the old one - if I remember correctly.  I was super pleased with the service.  So sorry not everyone is experiencing the same.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

I don't get why you sent anything back before you had the replacement in hand.

Also, I think you might find the reason you haven't gotten your nook yet is because they've actually run out of stock.

Correspondent
Alanakat
0 Kudos

They did tell me they were out of stock when I called them one time too, but when I spoke to them the second time as I didn't know what to do originally, they didn't say they had a problem.  Now as of today I don't have it yet, bu t it's now in the state I live in, and we had horrible snow and ice storms out here, so I am very understanding about that. I even asked Customer service if the cold would hurt it on its way to me and they told me they have it in an insulated type box so it should be fine.

Reader 2
JC22011
0 Kudos

This is my first time posting.  I received a Nook Color for Christmas but didn't start using it until the New Year.  The battery would run down after maybe a half hour of reading and then shut off.  I called B&N and they said they would send a replacement within 3 days and I had to send the "old" one back within 13 days.

I sent it and used the label and number they sent me.  Sent an email to customer service - no reply.  Called 3x at work today - got disconnected the first 2x after holding for a long time.

They told me there is a problem with the distributor and it would be at least mid-February before I received a new one.  I'll be honest, I didn't read the warranty because it was so new but I will be sad if i get a refurbished model.  I asked about just returning it for a refund and they told me it has been too long (December).

I understand things are can be like that with electronics, but there's some competition out there and one of the reason's I picked B&N was because of the name and reputation.  Now I am just bummed out on the whole experience - the customer service reps were not really sympathetic.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

JC22011 wrote:

This is my first time posting.  I received a Nook Color for Christmas but didn't start using it until the New Year.  The battery would run down after maybe a half hour of reading and then shut off.  I called B&N and they said they would send a replacement within 3 days and I had to send the "old" one back within 13 days.

I sent it and used the label and number they sent me.  Sent an email to customer service - no reply.  Called 3x at work today - got disconnected the first 2x after holding for a long time.

They told me there is a problem with the distributor and it would be at least mid-February before I received a new one.  I'll be honest, I didn't read the warranty because it was so new but I will be sad if i get a refurbished model.  I asked about just returning it for a refund and they told me it has been too long (December).

I understand things are can be like that with electronics, but there's some competition out there and one of the reason's I picked B&N was because of the name and reputation.  Now I am just bummed out on the whole experience - the customer service reps were not really sympathetic.

did you send just the battery back or the whole nook? 

Reader 2
JC22011
0 Kudos

The whole Nook - that was the instructions

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

@RSC_Nook, the poster indicated it was a NOOKColor, they do not have removable batteries, so the entire unit would have to be sent in.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!