Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
AnnaSvi
0 Kudos

Cyrillic - Russian Letters?

I've been doing a lot of resesarch, and I still cannot find (or read anywhere) about e-books being able to read Cyrillic format? Does anyone know of nook read Cyrillic? Its sad, a lot of Russian people are HUGE readers, and finding a normal e-book is so difficult.

Please adivse someone!

Reader 4
Olegolf
0 Kudos

Re: Cyrillic - Russian Letters?

Nook perfectly works with Cyrillic texts.
The ePUB file should be correctly prepared and contain the built - in fonts.
To buy the book  is possible for example here
http://bookland.net.ua/
A lot of information is here
http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=44&sid=f437404e698b767301d572788bf6b2ca

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Olegolf wrote:

This is not correct.

The version 1.3 software update broke the NOOK's ability to properly handle non-English texts. It doesn't even handle French or Spanish correctly.

I fully expect that they'll fix this in the next software update, but until then the NOOK should be considered to be an English-only reader.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Olegolf wrote:

This is not correct.

The version 1.3 software update broke the NOOK's ability to properly handle non-English texts. It doesn't even handle French or Spanish correctly.

Doug,

That's only partially true. 

Since the 1.3 update, the titles and authors of my Portuguese-language books are jazzed up in My Documents (along with the name of any English language author that has a diacritical mark in it), but the actual texts themselves have kept their integrity, including accents and special characters.

How many languages this is true for, and particularly how much it applies to non-Latin alphabets, I can't be sure.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
alex_shin
0 Kudos

It'a a shame that Nook does not support other alphabets natively. Much cheaper and older e-books readers do that just fine.

Putting embedded fonts into e-book is not trivial and makes files much bigger and slower to manipulate. I personally dont see it as a usable option, still waiting for native support.

In the meantime bought an EZreader for my wife - it supports Russian perfectly.

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

Nuts.

Just upgraded to 1.4 firmware with expectation that they fixed this issue in new firmware.

What? ajskdfa;sldkfj

Sorry guys the 1.4 still didn't fix this issue.

They are aware this issue according to other thread and cannot believe they couldn't or didn't fix this issue ...... very disappointted....

Contributor
whereisjim
0 Kudos

My bad..

It is fixed in 1.4 firmware but it requires some extra step to fix.

Please find below info and link.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Q-A-and-Support/chinese-characters-in-meta-data/m-p/5501...

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.  The issue has been addressed for 1.4, but you need to remove your side-loaded content, and then add them again.  Here are the exact steps:

1. Connect device to PC

2. Go to the nook's my documents folder

3. Copy the contents of that folder to your PC (unless you already have it there).

4. Disconnect nook.

5. Go to library (my documents), and do check for new content.  See that nothing is there.

6. Connect to the PC again

7. Add your documents back.

8. Disconnect nook (safely using safely remove or eject)

9. Go back to my documents

10. Check for new content.

This should work for you, please re-post if it doesn't.

Kind Regards,

Nook engineering

New User
vigor2kIV
0 Kudos

NOOK does support Cyrillic Fonts, here is How To get it working for you as well...

Library and reader already support Russina Cyrillic fonts and many others, including Chinese, Japanese and even Greek fonts in addition to whole bunch of Western and Easter European fonts. In reader however fonts would be displayed properly only if the PDF for instance has an embedded Cyrillic font within itself. Note that not all fonts that exist in the world are supported, but most of them.

For those who had foreign language files sideloded on to your Nook with 1.3 build installed, after installing 1.4 build you will need to remove all files, then unplug your Nook from USB, let Library scan through the empty partition, then sideload all those same eBooks back to the device and let the Nook re-scan all of them again. This fixes the problem when Library displayed gibberish in the Library for eBooks with Meta data consisted out of foreign fonts such as Russian Cyrillic fonts for instance.

New User
Rash
0 Kudos

So far I was not able to make it work, that's my 2 cents on this problem. I tried using Calibre to convert and all I got was the headings in Russian but the rest of the book is ??????????.

Lovely font, I must add. All the instructions to correct this problem are so complicated and drizzled with the self derived acronyms and sub technical jargon that it makes it absolutely unusable.

I just hope that people that pretend to help will just stop and try to explain in plain English for the people to understand and be able to utilize the instructions.

New User
pmatusov
0 Kudos

This procedure did not work.

New User
kalmoth
0 Kudos

It is possible to create an epub file with embedded Cyrillic fonts that will be Nook-readable. Using Sigil as the epub editor, one has to do the following.

1. In Sigil left tab, right-click on "Fonts," select "Add existing items."

2. Add the OTF fonts you want to embed (make sure you have the rights to redistribute them). Sigil will automatically add the fonts to the manifest.

3. Click on "Styles," and edit the stylesheet CSS file. You will need to add declarations for each font face of the format...

@font-face { font-family : Liberation; font-weight : normal; font-style: normal; src :../Fonts/LiberationSerif-Regular.ttf); }

for each font you are going to use (in this example, I use one of the free Liberation font).

Then in every style defined in the file, add the appropriate explicit declaration:

font-family: "Liberation", serif;

(again, I used the Liberation font as the example).

4. Validate and save.

5. Check the result in Adobe Digital Editions and in Nook emulator for your Mac or PC. Cyrillic shuld display properly.

Contributor
MikeFromMesa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I tried these instructions and ran into some problems. They may well be due to my mistakes, but here are some comments/questions:

1) I added the Liberation fonts as you suggested using Sigil. So far, so good. No problem here,

2) I then tried to add an @font-face entry for each font face, but immediately ran into the problem as to whether they should be added to the existing style sheet or if a new style sheet should be added.

I tried adding a new one, but the result was not usable on the Nook for PC,

I then tried to add them to the existing style sheet, but did not know if it was important where they were added; at the top or at the bottom? Or perhaps the location is not important?

Since I was adding the item for use on the PC I changed the src entry to reflect the actual full location of the fonts from the disk root, but did not know if I should be using a single backslash, a single forward slash or double backslashes (that is my programming background in c# talking). I tried all 3 cases,

3) Since I was using a file converted from fb2 to ePub by Calibre I added the font-family entry to each .Calibre family entry in the style sheet (I am pretty sure that the entry should not be the last entry in each family because the entries have to end without a colon)

At the end the verification process told me that it could not find the location of the specified fonts. Perhaps I cannot use any PC location for the fonts? I just don't know.

Any help you could give me would be appreciated. If I cannot get the fonts to work with general downloaded Russian ePub files, then the NC is of no use to me and I will have to end up buying one of the general Android tablets as an eBook reader. I would prefer the NC.

Thanks.

gvv
Reader 2
gvv
0 Kudos

I have a manuscript that has a few lines of Russian Cyrillic. When I uploaded the html file (which worked fine when viewed in Firefox), the Cyrillic came out as question marks.

I followed the steps you said and some you didn't mention:

1. I downloaded the Liberation font and installed it on the computer

2. I opened my epub file in Sigil

3. I right clicked on fonts and add new item

4. I found my way to the windows/fonts directory and clicked on Liration-Serif, but a box opened saying that I couldn't do it, so I went to the directory where I had downloaded the Liberation file and chose the font file from that location

5. I put the text you suggested in the style folder; it needed a couple of extra things so it would look like the other font descriptions

6. I went into the code view in Sigil and replaced Times New Roman by Liberation

7. At this point the file looked fine in Sigil, but it looked fine before

8. I saved the file

9. I uploaded it to the nook website and previewed the file. The text that was supposed to be in Cyrillic just showede as question marks

10. I was reluctant to open the file in the nook for PC because I haven't figured out how to get rid of the darn things, but I did it anyway. Result: the Cyrillic still showed as question marks.

gvv
Reader 2
gvv
0 Kudos

Dear Nook Engineering:

how does this work on the nook for PC?

I wrote a work containing some Cyrillic text. It looks beautiful in Sigil, but it appears as just question marks in the nook for PC.

While you are at it, can you tell me how to delete a file from the My stuff section of nook for PC?

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I thought this may have had something to do with the epub format in general?  I know that is something the epub developers are working on for 3.0 is the inclusion of asian character fonts.  Maybe that incudes the better handling of Cyrillic as well? 

Then again I could be very very wrong.  But it is something to note that the epub developers are currently in the process of coding a better format anyway.

Contributor
MikeFromMesa
0 Kudos

As it turns out the NC does an OK job of displaying books in Cyrillic provided the ebook contains embedded Cyrillic fonts. The problem then becomes one of converting the book from its original fb2 format to ePub and making sure the fonts are embedded in the ePub version. Once that is done the NC does a fine job of displaying the book and all of the normal NC functionality works.

The process of converting the books can be somewhat complex. To do this manually you need to download the fb2 version of the book, then use Calibre (or something like it) to convert the book to ePub format and then use Sigil (or something like it) to embed the Cyrillic fonts. Doing all of that works but requires that you also have the fonts on your PC (or MAC I suppose) and understand the style sheet modifications that are needed.

Alternately you can convert the ebook from fb2 format by using one of the online web site that will do the work for you such as 

http://www.2epub.com/  or  http://sorotokin.com/fb2epub.html

I found the second to be very helpful and all of the books I converted using it worked without issue on the NC.

There is also at least one downloadable windows app (fb2ePubGui) that does all of this work directly on the PC and that is the process I now use.

New User
Unhappy-Customer
0 Kudos

I see I'm at the end of this thread without a competitive solution. Just another piece of crippleware to drive B&N sales.