Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
Tamask
0 Kudos

De-Registering Nook

Hello, I got my new Nook today. I didn't realize (duh) that I should have de-registered it on the touch screen before I gave it back. I did do a de-registering on here where I changed my password/email address. But, it is still showing up in my account. Did I do this right where all I had to do was those two changes?

Thank you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: De-Registering Nook

Tamask wrote:

Hello, I got my new Nook today. I didn't realize (duh) that I should have de-registered it on the touch screen before I gave it back. I did do a de-registering on here where I changed my password/email address. But, it is still showing up in my account. Did I do this right where all I had to do was those two changes?

Thank you.

Are you saying that you just received a replacement Nook and forgot to unregister the old one?
If that's the case, don't worry:  returned Nooks go to a return center where they're unregistered and wiped.  For your own peace of mind, you might want to call Customer Service to confirm, but in a couple of days you should see the old Nook disappear from your account.  My first Nook experienced a catastrophic failure and I couldn't unregister it -- it was totally fried. B&N cleared it off my account this way.
You didn't need to change your e-mail address and password, if all you were doing was returning a defective Nook.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
Tamask
0 Kudos

What I did was take my Nook that cracked back to the store and they gave me a new one. Well, I didn't de-register the old one on th Nook itself, just in my account here. Then I registered my new one and now I'm showing two Nooks.

Now, I'm having a difficult time getting the 1.4 updated on my new Nook. The Nook keeps telling me "update invalid".

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Tamask

The fact that the old one is still registered to your account shouldn't make any difference in updating the new one -- the update should see whether it's required or not.  Some questions:

1. Are you trying to update vis WiFi, or by the download/sideload method?

2. Are you sure that your Nook isn't already on 1.4?  You can check by going to Settings.

3. Why did you change the e-mail address and password on your account?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Contributor
FranJohnston
0 Kudos

I've got a world of trouble here.

I've had my nook since Christmas... and I love it.  Recently, the email address that was associated with my nook via my B&N account, got hijacked by cyber bad-guys.  I closed that email account and opened a new one.  I went to barnesandnoble.com and changed my email address there.

Today I finished reading the book I had on the nook and decided to buy another one that was on my eWish List.  When I tried to access the eWish List, I was got a message that my email address is invalid and that I should re-enter my email address... so I attempted to change the email address (in the nook)... and got a message that the nook is already registered.   Well, Duh.

So, I decided that I'd unregister my nook and start all over. No go.  When I try to unregister the nook, I get the same "Invalid Email Address" message.

Please help!!!!!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

FranJohnston wrote:

I've got a world of trouble here.

I've had my nook since Christmas... and I love it.  Recently, the email address that was associated with my nook via my B&N account, got hijacked by cyber bad-guys.  I closed that email account and opened a new one.  I went to barnesandnoble.com and changed my email address there.

Today I finished reading the book I had on the nook and decided to buy another one that was on my eWish List.  When I tried to access the eWish List, I was got a message that my email address is invalid and that I should re-enter my email address... so I attempted to change the email address (in the nook)... and got a message that the nook is already registered.   Well, Duh.

So, I decided that I'd unregister my nook and start all over. No go.  When I try to unregister the nook, I get the same "Invalid Email Address" message.

Please help!!!!!

According to the manual and the online FAQ, If you already have a NOOK registered to your BN.com account and want to make any changes to the email address or password for your account, please be sure to unregister your NOOK first. Then make the changes to the email address or the password of your account, and then re-register your NOOK using the current (new) email address and password for your account.,
I believe what you need to do is change the email address on the account back to the old one, then unregister the Nook, then make the change, then register the Nook.  If there is no way for you the change the email address back to the old you will probably need to call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), Option 2, Digital Support. 

Distinguished Correspondent
AllenR
0 Kudos

Tamask wrote:

What I did was take my Nook that cracked back to the store and they gave me a new one.

Front bezel cracked in the area of the page turning buttons??

Lucien Buonaparte speaking of a young lady... "ever fresh, not like a rose, but like a good radish"
Napoleon Buonaparte on the reason for marriage: " I want to marry a womb" - Those Buonapartes sure knew how to woo a woman!

Reader
KarenSC
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

According to the manual and the online FAQ, If you already have a NOOK registered to your BN.com account and want to make any changes to the email address or password for your account, please be sure to unregister your NOOK first. Then make the changes to the email address or the password of your account, and then re-register your NOOK using the current (new) email address and password for your account.,

Oh bother!  I couldn't find that in the manual or FAQ and had changed my email on B&N.com first.  This is such a stupid process...  You should be able to do either option first. Very frustrating.  Hope your advice works.  This is the first bad thing about the nook I've run into.

Reader 2
karnerblue
0 Kudos

Process worked!!!!

I had changed my email address on BN to match the one on my phone to allow my my nook to sync with my android nook application on the phone. I solved that problem and created another one..... I didn't realize I was supposed to deregister my nook first.

I went online and changed my email address back to the original, 

I de-registered my nook,

I went online and changed my email address to new email address

I re-registered my nook

Thanks for the help!