Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

Defective Screen + TERRIBLE Customer Service = Will not recommend to ANYONE!

At the end of October - almost exactly 3 months after purchasing my Nook - I opened my Nook and the screen had cracked (?), rendering my Nook unsuable.  I contacted Customer Service on November 1 via the 1-800 number, chose the rapid replacement option and waited. 

It is December 28 and I still have not received my replacement Nook.  I have contacted customer service no less than 8 times (with my call duration averaging 45 minutes) since then to no avail. I even had a B&N employee call for me from the store. 

To add insult to injury, B&N refuses to service the stupid thing because I bought it at Best Buy, an authorized dealer.  Are you kidding me?!!  It's your device!! It's not like I bought it used on eBay.  :smileymad:  That's like Apple saying they won't service your iPad because you bought it at Target.  Absurd!

Regardless, I've hadituptohere with trying to get this resolved and am about ready to give up, switch to the Kindle or iPad and shout my story from the rooftops.  This is basically a last ditch effort to get someone at B&N to help me with this issue.  If anyone knows of a better way to get through to a supervisor or reach a resolution, I'd be happy to hear it.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Screen + TERRIBLE Customer Service = Will not recommend to ANYONE!

@calipanthergirl,

Why didn't you take you NOOK back to best buy?

I know it is frustrating, but Apple will in fact refuse to take care of an iPad you bought at Best Buy.

Part of the contract that B&N, Apple, Samsung, and Sony et. al. have with retailers like Best Buy is that the retailer becomes the first line of support.

If your NOOK broke as the result of a manufacturing defect, then Best Buy should replace it for you on the spot. If it broke because of misuse or accidental damage, then neither B&N or Best Buy will replace the unit (unless you have purchased accidental damage protection for it).

Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

Re: Defective Screen + TERRIBLE Customer Service = Will not recommend to ANYONE!

The Nook was never dropped and I kept it in a case.  So no injurious behavior on my part.

I respectfully disagree with your point about companies refusing to service products because they were purchased elsewhere.  But be that as it may, if that were really B&N's policy, customer service never should have processed the claim to begin with.  If the first person I spoke with had directed me to Best Buy, I would have gone there.  But at no time did anyone in customer service (or in the store, for that matter) point me in that direction.  Instead, I was directed to the 1-800 number where they took my credit card number and have strung me along for the past 8 weeks.     

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

calipanthergrl wrote:

At the end of October - almost exactly 3 months after purchasing my Nook - I opened my Nook and the screen had cracked (?), rendering my Nook unsuable.  I contacted Customer Service on November 1 via the 1-800 number, chose the rapid replacement option and waited. 

It is December 28 and I still have not received my replacement Nook. 

Wait, what?!

Did you track the replacement nook? I had to use the rapid replacement option too, and they emailed me a tracking number that I used to watch my baby come to me over the course of about two days.

A) I find the idea that you waited two months for a "rapid replacement" to arrive shocking, to the point of almost being suspicious.

B) I have a hard time believing that someone wouldn't look at the tracking number after the nook didn't arrive in, say, a week.

I have contacted customer service no less than 8 times (with my call duration averaging 45 minutes) since then to no avail. I even had a B&N employee call for me from the store. 

To add insult to injury, B&N refuses to service the stupid thing because I bought it at Best Buy, an authorized dealer.  Are you kidding me?!!  It's your device!! It's not like I bought it used on eBay.  :smileymad:  That's like Apple saying they won't service your iPad because you bought it at Target.  Absurd!

Regardless, I've hadituptohere with trying to get this resolved and am about ready to give up, switch to the Kindle or iPad and shout my story from the rooftops.  This is basically a last ditch effort to get someone at B&N to help me with this issue.  If anyone knows of a better way to get through to a supervisor or reach a resolution, I'd be happy to hear it.

If it were me, I would call again start at the beginning. Pretend you didn't already send for a replacement. If they tell you you can't use the replacement option because it's already been used, there's your opening. Ask them when, where, and how it was used, and where the Nook replacement went.

Reader 2
M_Boo
0 Kudos

Hmmmm....did yo try please and thank you?

calipanthergrl wrote:

It is December 28 and I still have not received my replacement Nook.  I have contacted customer service no less than 8 times (with my call duration averaging 45 minutes) since then to no avail. I even had a B&N employee call for me from the store. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

I agree that B&N should have directed you to Best Buy on your initial phone call.

From reading these boards it is apparent that while B&N technical support can be fantastic (I had a great experience with them on Sunday) it can also be abysmal. They really need to work on the consistency of their support organization.

Putting the quality of B&N tech support aside for the moment. In my opinion (I have to put that qualifier there or the internet lawyers will jump all over me), your best course of action going forward from here is to take your defective NOOK and your receipt to the customer service counter at Best Buy and have them replace it for you.

Then call B&N customer support and cancel the shipment of your replacement NOOK.

Reader 4
borlogs
0 Kudos

normally you have 30 days to return your device to bestbuy. Read your manual next time. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

proudfilipinoTN wrote:

normally you have 30 days to return your device to bestbuy. Read your manual next time. 

@proudfilipino,

The 30 days at Best Buy (and 14 days at B&N) is the amount of time you have to return a product for a refund (defective or not).

After that time, you have the balance of the 1 year manufacturer's warranty for the device. During the balance of the warranty, you do not get a refund, instead the device is repaired or replaced with a new or refurbished device at the retailers/manufacturer's discretion.

B&N Bookseller
me_chelle54
0 Kudos

Have you contacted Customer Support to see if a package has been shipped to you? It is a Barnes & Noble product however the person above mentioned that the store you purchased the product at should always be your first resource for return then it is a given. However a technician can look at the device to verify a manufacturers defect as opposed to an accidental damage. It is imperative for you to constantly stay in touch with Customer Service because of the shipping of packages. UPS is the main source that is used to ship via B&N so you have to make sure that it wasn't mis-delivered. (it does happen) I would call a manager at your local B&N to see if they can contact a rep from B&N customer support so that this process can be reviewed. The stores are usually very happy to help their customers. We have done it plenty of times at the B&N I work at.

Good luck and I hope your issue is resolved quickly from here on out.

Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

Starting over is a good suggestion.  I never got a tracking number the first time, which in hindsight should have been a red flag.  But having never gone through the process before, I didn't know what to expect. 

It's a long drawn out story, but I didn't want to be "that" person that calls after 3 days looking for the product.  It was my understanding that expedited shipping was not being used so I expected it to take a few days. I called a few weeks later and was assured it was being sent out.  Same story every time.  I've definitely escalated my efforts the past four weeks, but to suggest I'm some idiot "who couldn't read the manual" or that I didn't use "please and thank you" is uncalled for.  I've been nothing but respectful of the representatives I've spoken with and am rightly (imo) frustrated at the fact that I haven't been able to use my Nook for the past 8 weeks.

As an aside, the BB forums have a number of complaints about BB refusing to service defective devices and referring customers to B&N retail stores and/or customer service on the 1-800 number (who refused to service the device, as well).  I suppose the moral of the story is don't buy it anywhere but B&N. 

B&N Bookseller
me_chelle54
0 Kudos

I also want to add that B&N doesn't ever service a Nook. The store employees will troubleshoot there in the store but there is no service warranty or anything like that......hence the rapid replacement policy....they send you a refurbished nook and you send yours back...it's that easy....however...this is an issue that should have been resolved quickly.... if I were you I would remain very diligent in getting this issue resolved.....good luck.....

Contributor
calipanthergrl
0 Kudos

Thanks for the advice.  I stopped in a store last week and an employee at the Nook counter called customer service for me.  A women he spoke with claimed it had been shipped out that day.  They confirmed my email address and I've checked my spam folder, but I still don't have any tracking information. 

Every attempt to reach a supervisor at Customer service has basically failed and today, after I sat on the phone for 2+ hours (45 minutes to reach the first person and then another 50+ while they "connected me to a supervisor"), customer service disconnected the call. 

I think I'm going to try to start over. :smileyindifferent: It's only been 5 month since I purchased it.

B&N Bookseller
me_chelle54
0 Kudos

wow...good luck.....I've never seen it be this way from B&N.....but anything is possible...I hope you get this resolved quickly....

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

@calipanthergrl,

Via Private Message, can you send me your account email, order number and a contact phone number in case we need to reach out to you..?