Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reader 4
soniastitch
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

Thanks!  Of course it's on the nook! 

I appreciate your time...

New User
GinnyF
0 Kudos

My Nook is frozen

Hi Doug,

I've seen a couple of posts about the Nooks freezing up.  Mine did this last night.  It was almost fully charged, and then I turned it off because I was on a plane.  I think I held the power button down too long because it completely shut down.  But when I tried to power it back up when the plane got in the air it wouldn't turn on.  I thought maybe I drained the battery somehow and plugged it in overnight, but again, no luck.  Is there some trick to get the Nook to start up or did I get a dud?  (I just got it for Mother's Day).

Thanks for any help.

(Also, I did try to call that fantastic customer service line but it rang on some line twice, and then told me that all operators were busy and would I please call back some other time, and then it hangs up on me).

Sign me,

REALLY FRUSTRATED

New User
Nursecharmer
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

Doug, very knowledgeable!!!  I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have the first edition of Nook reader.  Does it have the capability to read to me.  Thanks  Cynthia, New Nook Owner

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Nursecharmer wrote:

Doug, very knowledgeable!!!  I know this is probably a stupid question, but I have the first edition of Nook reader.  Does it have the capability to read to me.  Thanks  Cynthia, New Nook Owner

No, none of the NOOKs support text-to-speech.

Reader 2
grandmadeedee
0 Kudos

How can I moved my finished books to my micro sd card?

New User
dlovesocks

wow! I wish I would've read this before I asked a forum question. Reading your tips just helped me figure out my problem. Thank you!

New User
dlovesocks

Re: My Nook is frozen

I realize I'm a new nook used too, but I just turned my nook off and when I turned it back on I was surprised at how long I had to hold the button. I held it until the screen flashed. It was probably about 6 seconds. Try it. Maybe it'll work for you too!

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny

Re: My Nook is frozen

Works for me.. :smileyhappy: 

Inspired Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

Bump

Reader 4
TessaNY
0 Kudos

If you right click on the icon a menu comes up with 'eject'. (if you are on a mac, hold control or apple and click, same menu)

Let me know if you need more help, I can email you a screen shot!

:smileyhappy:
Tess

Contributor
greenside1
0 Kudos

A new question. In the new 1.4 setup, can we still move books from a NC to our computer. We are a 2 NC family and want to share books. s it still possible? 

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

greenside1 wrote:

A new question. In the new 1.4 setup, can we still move books from a NC to our computer. We are a 2 NC family and want to share books. s it still possible? 

Instead of copying files from your hardware reader to the computer, try installing the B&N software reader and using it to download the eBooks directly through the Internet.

You might find people more knowledgeable about Nook Color in the forum more specific to that model on this same site. Click the "Browse Book Clubs" near the top of this page for links to the numerous forums. I believe the more recent models (Color, Simple touch and Tablet) store material purchased from B&N in a hidden partition that's inaccessible to the file management applications that come with computer operating systems.

Contributor
DinahMA44
0 Kudos

I did read the manual but the list you have is great.  Does anyone know if there is an updated browser for the N1Ed WiFi?  Gmail is requesting I upgrade to Google Chrome.  Can I do that?  What do I need to now before trying to upgrade the browser and which one should I choose?  Thanks.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

DinahMA wrote:

I did read the manual but the list you have is great.  Does anyone know if there is an updated browser for the N1Ed WiFi?  Gmail is requesting I upgrade to Google Chrome.  Can I do that?  What do I need to now before trying to upgrade the browser and which one should I choose?  Thanks.

You can not replace the browser in the N1E.

As far a Google telling you to upgrade your browser. That is just them encouraging you to use their browser. They is no reason you need to change browser, and you do not have the ability to do so.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Test.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Test, again.

New User
charlieBS
0 Kudos

Great information.......glad I found you - answered lot's of my questions!!!