Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

[ Edited ]
If you don't have time to read the manual, at least look over this list!

1. Charging: the NOOK will not charge if it's turned off. Most other gizmos will charge better when turned off, but the NOOK won't charge at all! It'll automatically turn itself on when you hook it up to charge; just let it be.
  2. Freezing up: there is no "power-on" indicator on the NOOK. If the NOOK loses power, the E-Ink screen will not go blank—it will keep showing whatever was last on it. The LCD display will, of course, be dark, and the unit will be unresponsive. Many people call this frozen, but it's usually just out of power. The first step in this case is to recharge the NOOK. If the battery has run down, it can take half an hour or so for the yellow "charging" light to come on.
  3. Power button: the power button behaves differently depending on how long you hold it down.
    • A really quick tap: does nothing.
    • A short press of a half-second to a couple of seconds: wakes up the LCD screen if it was dark; puts the NOOK into sleep mode (screen-saver showing) if the LCD was lit; wakes up the NOOK if it was in sleep mode.
    • Five to ten seconds: shuts down the reader software, leaving a white screen. The reader software will restart when you turn the NOOK back on. This will often clear up glitches that occur in the reader software.
    • Twelve seconds or more—twenty is the usual recommendation: full shutdown of all software and full power-off (white screen). This will clear up almost any software-related problems. It also completely shuts down the NOOK, keeping it from draining power from the battery.
  4. Done reading: when you're done reading, either let the NOOK fall asleep on its own or use a short press of the power button to put it to sleep—two presses if the LCD was dark. Turn your NOOK all the way off when you expect to leave it unused for a week or more.
  5. Touch-screen: the touch-screen is not pressure-sensitive. It's skin-contact and motion-sensitive. It will not respond to being touched by fingernails. It will often respond better to a gentle touch than to a hard press. If you want to use a stylus, get one made for Apple products such as the iPhone and iPod Touch. The touch screen recognizes a variety of gestures: tap, double-tap, touch, drag/scroll, throw, and swipe. Different gestures are used in different places.
  6. Actions: patience is in order after each touch of the touch-screen or the paging buttons. Most actions take a half-second or longer. Going crazy with touches and clicks can overload the NOOK and make it appear to "freeze".
  7. Menus: many menus scroll. Touch a selection that you don't want and push it out of the way. Don't touch the scroll bar; that won't do anything.
  8. B&N shopping, categories: while using the B&N Shop button, you can select specific e-book categories with the "Browse subject" menu option.
  9. B&N shopping, free e-books: if you search for 0.00 you'll get a list of free e-books.
  10. B&N Library and account: the B&N Library on your NOOK is a copy of your B&N account. Anything you do to one will be done to the other whenever the NOOK synchronizes. That occurs whenever you touch "Check for new B&N content" and occasionally during the day (if a wireless connection is available).
  11. B&N e-books, removing: B&N e-books can be archived. This removes them from the NOOK but the e-books remain in your B&N account and can be redownloaded at no charge. Select the e-book you want to archive, touch "View Item Details & Options", and touch "Archive". Then move the e-book selector on the library listing to an unarchived e-book and touch "Check for new B&N content". B&N e-books can also be archived from your B&N account area on the Web site.
  12. Archived B&N e-books, hiding: archived e-books appear in gray on the B&N Library screen. They can be made to disappear from the list by selecting the "Hide archived items" menu option. (You have to scroll to find this one!)
  13. Periodical issues, saving: periodical issues are automatically deleted from your account (and NOOK) after 10 issues or one year, whichever comes first, unless you archive them. Once you've archived an issue, it becomes a permanent part of your B&N Library even if you unarchive it later, and if you want to delete it you'll have to do it through the B&N account area of the Web site.
  14. B&N e-books and periodical issues, deleting: e-books and periodical issues can only be deleted from the B&N account area of the Web site. Deletion is permanent and deleted e-books will have to be re-bought if you want them back, so you probably want to archive them instead. Don't forget to touch "Check for new B&N content" to synchronize your NOOK to your account.
  15. Free samples, deleting: free samples cannot be archived. To get rid of them, you have to delete them from the B&N account area of the Web site. Don't forget to touch "Check for new B&N content" to synchronize your NOOK to your account.
  16. Automatic synchronization: if your NOOK is left in "sleep" mode with airplane mode off (wireless on), it will automatically wake up and synchronize your B&N Library with your B&N account sometime between 5 and 6 AM each day. This is usually very brief, but you might notice a different screen-saver image in the morning than it had the previous evening.
  17. Sideloading, connecting: when you're about to sideload, if the NOOK is on the My Documents screen when you connect it to the computer, the NOOK won't automatically check for new content when ejected. You'll need to touch "Check for new content" afterward.
  18. Sideloading, library e-books: e-books borrowed from the library must be installed onto the NOOK using Adobe Digital Editions. Adobe EPUB e-books bought at other stores can simply be copied using whatever tool you want once your NOOK has been authorized. Similarly, library e-books must be removed from the NOOK using Adobe Digital Editions.
  19. Sideloading, deleting: when you're deleting sideloaded content via your computer, be sure that the content is completely deleted and not just moved into a Recycle or Trash folder, because the NOOK will still find your files in the trash. On Windows, you can use Shift-Delete to delete without recycling.
  20. Sideloading, disconnecting: after you're done sideloading, you should use "Eject" rather than "Safely Remove" to tell your computer you want to disconnect the NOOK. When you "Eject", the computer lets the NOOK known that it's being disconnected.
  21. PDF files, viewing: PDF files are shrunk to fit the screen when the "Small" font size is selected. Larger font sizes cause the text items to be extracted from the PDF and presented at a larger size. The results at a larger size may be less than optimal, with unusual line breaks, paragraph breaks, and page breaks; and with headers and footers mixed in. Highlights, notes, bookmarks, and text font style do not work for PDFs.
  22. Screen-savers and wallpaper: screen-saver images must be placed into sub-folders within the "my screensavers" folder; those sub-folder names will appear on the list of available screen-savers. Wallpaper images must not be placed into sub-folders; they go directly into the "my wallpapers" folder.
  23. Sudoku, kicked out: if you accidentally find yourself at the "Easy/Medium/Hard/Extreme" menu when you were in the middle of a game, do not select any of those options or you'll start a new game. Instead, exit out of Sudoku by touching either the "back-arrow" or the "n" button. Then re-select Sudoku, and you'll return to the game that you were playing.
  24. Web browser: many Web sites provide "mobile" versions of their sites. These usually work much better with the NOOK browser than normal sites do. If you don't know the mobile site URL, try using an "m" instead of "www". For example, "m.cnn.com" or "m.gmail.com".
  25. Customer Service: B&N's telephone customer service is top-notch—and not outsourced to India. Call them if you need help or have a question. 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support. Don't bother e-mailing; that gets you an automated response facility. Call them. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Outside of the US, call 1-201-438-1834.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

Very nice work!

Frequent Contributor
nooksst

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

[ Edited ]

Wow, this is great.  Can I send you my next manual I don't want to read?  Just kidding.  This should be a permananent item on the forum.  It would save a lot of posts.  This should be on the Daily instead of "Your New Nook" or "Nook Tips".

fjfjfjfjffj   That's me sending you applause with my fingers.

Frequent Contributor
nooksst
0 Kudos

I hate to be a pest, but I have a question.  You said that if the Nook is turned off the battery won't charge.  What if you deplete the battery all the way to dead?  Does that mean you can't charge it back up?

Inspired Correspondent
amillio

@nooksst It will just take up to 30 minutes to show the light and start charging again if you deplete it all the way. You should be ok tho. I always charge mine around 15 percent so I dont run into that issue though. 

Inspired Correspondent
amillio

@ Doug great list! I have one more thing to add to it.  When adding audio to your nook, it must be in mp3 format. 

Contributor
kimmie3

@ Doug

Awsome job!

Frequent Contributor
DonnaReads

Hey Doug, as usual you are terrific, but your #13 is actually what I'm having problems with right now.  I buy the new digital issue of "Guideposts" magazine every month from B&N, but I do not have a subscription.  I've noticed that when I download the newest issue, the previous issue disappears from my Nook.  I can access the previous issue in my B&N Library and in the e-reader software on my computer.  It's not automatically archived, but still in my library, and it doesn't show up anywhere on my Nook.  Ever run into something like this before?

I actually had posted this question on the e-books board, but had no responses.  Since this board is more active, maybe somebody knows why this is happening?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015

Recharging from a flat battery

nooksst wrote:

What if you deplete the battery all the way to dead?  Does that mean you can't charge it back up?

What's supposed to happen is that when you plug in the charger, the yellow charging light doesn't come on right away and the NOOK stays off. The charger puts a slow charge into the battery, and after half an hour or so there's enough juice in the battery for the charging light to come on and for the NOOK to start up. That's what's supposed to happen.

There is some question whether this still works with the 1.4 firmware. Apparently the 1.4 firmware no longer allows a NOOK to boot up without any battery at all, which was a common "immediate gratification" approach to getting the NOOK running and the battery charging when the battery level was too low.

I have never let my battery get that low, and I'm careful not to. So I can't tell you from experience what happens.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL

I did read the manual but this is still AMAZING!  Thanks so much!

Frequent Contributor
Tuff_Gong

Very nice work!

I wish I had this when I first got my Nook. :smileyhappy:

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." -Kurt Vonnegut
Distinguished Correspondent
mousetater

Doug,

Wish I could give you more than 1 laurel for this posting.

Frequent Contributor
SonDan1

I read the maual but thank you for the summary sheet. I have printed it out to keep in my Nook box for quick reference.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
dee_deefl

Thank you Doug.

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H

"Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK." - Doug

Countless problems could be simply solved if people simply remember to RTFM (RTFB). 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

Yo Michael, this thread should be stickied.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats

Doug, you rock!

Contributor
whodunitgirl

I have "safely removed" my nook several times but even after reading the manual can't figure out how to "eject". I don't see that option anywhere on the computer.

Correspondent
NanaLou
0 Kudos

My sister just received a Nook as a gift.  She will never read the manual.  So I will print this for her.

Great work and thanks.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

whodunitgirl wrote:

I have "safely removed" my nook several times but even after reading the manual can't figure out how to "eject". I don't see that option anywhere on the computer.

Assuming you have Windows, in Windows Explorer, find the Nook drive, right mouse click and select eject.