Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
blackopsdeb
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

Nice! :smileyvery-happy:

I've been getting to know my new nook for three days now.

I like to read the manual when I get a new device, and while I've read the Nook Tour and some of the NOOK User Guide I just had to create a .pdf of your cheat sheet to add "My Documents."

Thanks so much!

New User
bfoot
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

Thanks this helped

Distinguished Wordsmith
Conniecats
0 Kudos

This is very helpful.

New User
JoyFL
0 Kudos

Thank you for this list, it will be alot of help to me.  Written very well.:smileyhappy:

Reader 2
TeechTX
0 Kudos

Doug, this is better than chocolate-dipped ice cream on a stick!  Among other things, it told me exactly how to use archive to take things off my nook that might not pass muster entering a certain foreign country with really restrictive attitudes about the printed word!

Which brings up an issue regarding completely off vs. sleep modes and airport lines:  This will be my first time taking nook through airport security (got it specifically for this VERY long flight), but I know I've had to turn on and demonstrate laptops and cel phones (they usually miss the iPod) to prove they are what they appear to be.  So, I plan to leave my nook in sleep mode.  Now all I have to do is get them to overlook the teeny-tiny screwdriver that opens the battery compartment when it needs to be changed or re-set. (I am taking a fully-charged back-up for emergency use.)

Again, thanks for distilling the manual info for us.  You are a gentleman and a scholar. :smileywink:

To believe everything is too much; to believe nothing is too little.
Frequent Contributor
Beckah
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The FAA requires that the Nook (and all eReaders) are turned off completely during take-off and landing. The Nook can be turned on in airline mode when the flight attendants announce that it's safe to use approved electronic devices.

My Nook (along with my camera, cell phone and various chargers) have always gone through TSA in my purse. I've never been asked to pull it out for any reason or to demonstrate turning it on and off. Of course, TSA does have the right to inspect any item brought aboard in carry-ons.

Frequent Contributor
zippyap
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug. I'm waiting for my Nook. I suspect that when I get it, I'll be referring to your list before I go to the Manual :smileyhappy:

Contributor
Certifried
0 Kudos

As a typical guy, I never read manuals!

This post answered a few questions I had, awesome work! thanks very mucho

New User
TheUnnaturalMother

I did read the manual and frankly this is better!!

Can someone tell me what sideloading is?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

TheUnnaturalMother wrote:

Can someone tell me what sideloading is?

Here's B&N's tutorial video from the NOOK page:

Sideloading content onto your NOOK
3:20

Reader 4
chattywordy
0 Kudos

Better than the manual! 

FYI: Took my nook on vacation when it was less than a week old.  The wi-fi didn't work in another time zone.  A visit to the nearest B&N store confused the 'nook expert', but he called tech support for me.  Result: change the time to the correct time zone, power down and then power up.  Same then happened when I returned home.  Tech support said this shouldn't have happened.

Contributor
brigidanne
0 Kudos

Hi Doug, lots of great info, thanks!

With regard to #7:  Would you mind explaining it in a bit more detail?  Sounds like a great feature.

Thanks!

Brigid
New User
albaby
0 Kudos

If the manual was better written,more people would read it. It seems each chapter summarizes the previous chapters before any new info appears. 163 pages of instructions to wade thru for an e-reader is a bit much. I think this whole Nook thing is a beta product, especially the WEB section which I have not been able to figure out. I'm taking mine back and will purchase another when they come out with a more user friendly product-if I haven't found something else by then.

Contributor
ThorsEcho
0 Kudos

I must say I did read my manual or figured out quite a bit of things on my NOOK.  However my problem has not been addressed here.  I should say resolved here.  I have contacted Customer service several times and have only been given a work-around.

My problem is this: I had to have my Nook switched out due to a manufactures defect (the bracket that holds the memory card was loose).  Since I switched everything in the store, I have NEVER been able to have my library load on my Nook.  No titles come up but all my books are in my online library.  I have been told to side load my books onto my Nook in "My Documents" which they do come up and I can read.  However, any new purchases I have made NEVER show in my B&N library nor do they appear when I have selected "Check for new content?"

My Nook seems to stay forever searching in Wi-Fi when I make these selections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since as of to date, I can only view what I side load.

Contributor
10panda
0 Kudos

Doug:

Great list!  I have a question.  I purchased an ebook from Borders since I had a gift card; however even though I have Adobe Digital Editions already downloaded, it would not open so I saved it to my ebook folder in my document file on my pc.  It still did not open so I ended up downloading it to a borders desktop.  Is there any way I can move it to my Nook?

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

@10panda When I downloaded from borders, I downloaded to my desktop and then just dragged and dropped the book onto my my documents folder on my nook when it was plugged in. Then, check for new content and it was there. 

Contributor
10panda
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, that is not working either.  I keep getting the following error message:

Error getting license
Server communication problem: E_ADEPT_REQUEST_EXPIRED

I download books all the time from the overdrive public library and have been able to download the acsm file...not sure why I am getting this type message.  I have also previously downloaded a book from Borders without this issue.

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

ThorsEcho wrote:

I must say I did read my manual or figured out quite a bit of things on my NOOK.  However my problem has not been addressed here.  I should say resolved here.  I have contacted Customer service several times and have only been given a work-around.

My problem is this: I had to have my Nook switched out due to a manufactures defect (the bracket that holds the memory card was loose).  Since I switched everything in the store, I have NEVER been able to have my library load on my Nook.  No titles come up but all my books are in my online library.  I have been told to side load my books onto my Nook in "My Documents" which they do come up and I can read.  However, any new purchases I have made NEVER show in my B&N library nor do they appear when I have selected "Check for new content?"

My Nook seems to stay forever searching in Wi-Fi when I make these selections.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since as of to date, I can only view what I side load.

Did you unregister your old Nook and then register the new Nook to your B&N account?

Contributor
ThorsEcho
0 Kudos

I did unregister the old nook and contacted customer service to confirm.  I was told it was but that it should not have been a problem since up to 6 nooks can be on an account at one time. Still I made sure the old one was indeed unregistered. I read a post on here somewhere about that being a problem so I checked that before now.  My new device has been rest back to the factory bare bones settings before and all software reinstalled. Still I cannot view my BN Library on my Nook.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

I would take it in to Barnes and Noble and have them try fixing it for you. If they can't,  then I would call support and get a replacement sent to you. It would be a pain to have to side load all time even if you purchase the book through b&n.