Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

@ThorsEcho,

Try this...

On your NOOK:

1. Tap on my library
  2. Scroll down and tap on Show and make sure that All is chosen
  3. Scroll back up and tap on View My B&N Library
  4. Then tap on Check for new B&N content

If your library books still don’t show up do the following:

1. Tap on my library
  2. Tap on View my Documents
  3. Tap on Check for new content

If this still doesn’t fix it, hold down the power button for about 20 seconds so that your NOOK powers off. Then hold the power button for about 2-4 seconds and allow your NOOK to fully boot up.  Also make sure that your Wifi is connected/on.  

Please let me know if you are still experiencing this problem.

Contributor
ThorsEcho
0 Kudos

Re: Didn't read the manual? A list of things you probably need to know about NOOK.

I have reached out to the customer service dept. on many occasions and been on the phone for at least an hour or so to no avail.

I have been in the store as well but the techs there were stumped.  Although they did their best to assist, they were told the same thing when they contacted customer service.... for me to side load.

I read these blogs and posts to try different things that I have not been told or tried in the past.

I thank you for your help as it is much appreciated.

Contributor
ThorsEcho
0 Kudos

@ Micheal-V

I tried your suggestions and only my documents show.  My BN library still does not show.  The covers do not show either.  I did power it down and still nothing.  My Nook is attached to my Wi-Fi as well.

It appears to always be in search mode when looking for my BN Library but never updates or shows anything.

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

@ThorsEcho send michael a pm so that he can call you and you know he got your post. If he cannot fix your nook, I bet he will get it replaced for you with one that will work. 

Contributor
ThorsEcho
0 Kudos

@Amillio Thanks!

Reader 2
Celestialicat
0 Kudos

Thank you for posting this, I will most likely visit this again. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
nbanana
0 Kudos

great info, thanks

Contributor
10panda
0 Kudos

@Amillio

Interestingly enough, I had been trying to download a book from Borders before leaving town on a trip.  It would not download even though I had Adobe Digital Editions; it kept giving me an error message.  Once I returned from my trip, I opened ADE and it asked if I wanted to continue my download...I said yes and behold I now have about 6 copies of the book I had previously tried to download!  The error message I kept getting must have been referencing a problem on their end which would not allow the book to download.  My ADE appears to be working fine.  I ended up purchasing a book from B&N for my trip so all is well!  Thanks for trying to solve my problem.

New User
icope
0 Kudos

Thank you, I did read the manual but when you are a Senior Citizen sometime you don't retain.  Again thank you the information

Correspondent
Glitchster
0 Kudos

I didn't know where to put this but it is a little user problem I encountered.

This took me awhile to figure out I was the cause of this intermittent touchscreen problem.

It occurred when I was holding my NOOK with both hands at the bottom near the touchscreen. Inadvertently my left thumb would drift over on to the corner touchscreen. Not aware that my thumb was on the touchscreen, I would use my right index finger to swipe the screen to go to the next page. But, with  my thumb already interrupting the NOOK's processor my finger swipe was not detected. This caused the NOOK to appear as if it was not responding properly to my finger commands. With a second try at inputting, I would reposition my hands. Most of the time, causing my thumb to be removed from the corner, low and behold, the problem cleared up. The next swipes worked. After a length of time of turning pages, the problem began again. Much to my frustration this continued for several weeks.

One night while this happened, I happened to look down and notice my thumb resting on the corner of the screen, while I was swiping with my right hand. What a revelation...what a fat fingered dummy!

So, if any new user's are having intermittent swiping problems with their NOOKs, make sure that only one finger (or body part...) is touching the touchscreen when swiping.

Regards... 

"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy... so, take it easy..." the Eagles

... If knowledge is power, why do I have to keep recharging my ereader ?
Contributor
toska
0 Kudos

Thank you, that was very informative and very much appreciated.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

I did read my manual, but your "plain language" summary ROCKED.

New User
barb_o
0 Kudos

Thanks Blackopsdeb,

What a great idea! I also enjoy reading and re-reading the manuals because there is always something I missed the 1st, or 2nd time.  I am going to make a copy of the cheat sheet right now.

New User
Trianna
0 Kudos

Ok, so I need some help here. I'm trying to move images from the laptop to the Nook. I put pics in the wallpaper folder on the nook device folder on laptop.Now, how the heck to I get them onto the actual Nook?? I'm rather retarded when it comes to computers and such..Please help me get the wallpaper pics onto the wallpaper list on the Nook.!

Totally frustrated

Scribe
lkmiller
0 Kudos

Trianna wrote:

Ok, so I need some help here. I'm trying to move images from the laptop to the Nook. I put pics in the wallpaper folder on the nook device folder on laptop.Now, how the heck to I get them onto the actual Nook?? I'm rather retarded when it comes to computers and such..Please help me get the wallpaper pics onto the wallpaper list on the Nook.!

Totally frustrated

It sounds like you have them in the right place.  If you're using Windows, go to My Computer, right-click on the Nook, and click Eject.  Unplug the Nook from your computer.

• On your Nook, go to Settings > Display > Wallpaper.
  • Now scroll down past the built-in wallpapers and your images should be there.
  • If not, go to My Library > View My Documents (if you're not already there) and click "Check for new content".  Now your pics should be available.
  • If they still don't appear, then try shutting down your Nook completely and turning it back on.

Reader 4
thejanet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mousetater, you did give more than one laurel leaf, sorta kinda...

See, I'm new to the forums (have owned the Nook for almost a year now) and while I read about laurel leaves, I'd never given one or anything.

When I read your post, I urged myself to "embrace the technology" and gave my very first leaf. But it was really due to you, so I think you can feel like you've given more than one. For sure two, but how many peeps were also inspired?

This is a winner, and I think it should be stickied. Oh and you should add in how to sort your library and documents. Such a simple thing ("keep scrolling down") and yet it baffled me for months.

Now I hope my post inspires someone to go back and give Doug a leaf, so there will be a leaf from me, too. This deserves as many leaves as Doug's tree can handle!

Frequent Contributor
JMyers60
0 Kudos

I decided to print out the list and stick it in my nook case for future reference. I think the list is great for quick reference. Thanks so much for putting this together Doug!
Frequent Contributor
Judy54JR
0 Kudos

Ejecting is easy and there are at least two ways to do it. First under my computer click on the drive for either the nook or the smart card then right click and scroll down and chose eject which disconnects it which if you want to read and charge at the same time is what you have to do. The second way is on the task bar on the bottom of the monitor you'll see the device (if you hover your mouse over the icons you can see what each one is and then you chose eject and you'll get a pop up box and you choose what to eject. I hope this helps.

Contributor
Caleb_Anderson
0 Kudos

Is there any way that because the Nookcolor runs Android 2.1 we could customize our screens and apps ( like creating a web shortcut that when selected, would take me to grou.ps/sats mobile site ) The Droid, Droid Incredible, Droid 2, and Droid X allow that feature.

Contributor
Caleb_Anderson
0 Kudos

Well,it matters if you have Windows or Mac. For Windows, go down to the icon bar ( next to the time) and expand it. You should see a USB looking icon with a green arrow coming toward you. Double click, and select your nook, then click " Remove" and presto. For a mac, go into Finder, and click the eject button next to your nooks' name.