Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
slseaman01
0 Kudos

Disappointed in BN customer care center in regards to Nook freezing.

My Nook freezes.............all the time! Have called customer care center several times without any help. They simply have me do the same steps every time to unfreeze it, which requires me to charge it. Guess I am suppose to carry my charger everywhere I go????? They told me that since they know that some have this issue that it is not defective. I will have to simply wait for  new software to come out and that it SHOULD fix it. What about in the meantime? If my Nook is under warranty why can I not get a replacement that actually works like it is suppose too?  I am very disgusted with the customer care center and they way that they are handling problems with the Nook. I am sick to death of having to reset this thing. I am thinking that I should have gone with the Sony instead. At least Sony will do everything in their power to help fix and or replace the defective product. How can BN say that this is not considered a defective product? Give me a break. For 269.00 I should not have to sit back and wait until they finally fix the problem.  Way to go BN for doing what you can to keep my business!!

New User
rmysoldr
0 Kudos

Re: Disappointed in BN customer care center in regards to Nook freezing.

ARGH!  This is disheartening!!!  I am having the same problem... just turned my Nook off and on again THREE times because it keeps freezing.  And it still isn't unfrozen.  So I'm just turning it off for the night.  I planned to call customer service tomorrow.  But what good is it going to do?????  I want to return it.  Wonder if they'll let me???

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

slseaman01 wrote:

My Nook freezes.............all the time! Have called customer care center several times without any help. They simply have me do the same steps every time to unfreeze it, which requires me to charge it. Guess I am suppose to carry my charger everywhere I go????? They told me that since they know that some have this issue that it is not defective. I will have to simply wait for  new software to come out and that it SHOULD fix it. What about in the meantime? If my Nook is under warranty why can I not get a replacement that actually works like it is suppose too?  I am very disgusted with the customer care center and they way that they are handling problems with the Nook. I am sick to death of having to reset this thing. I am thinking that I should have gone with the Sony instead. At least Sony will do everything in their power to help fix and or replace the defective product. How can BN say that this is not considered a defective product? Give me a break. For 269.00 I should not have to sit back and wait until they finally fix the problem.  Way to go BN for doing what you can to keep my business!!

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time.  I can only suggest when you call customer service, don't let them walk you through another reset - ask to speak to someone with more authority to find out about returning it either for a replacement or a refund.  I don't know if you've done it, but I'd be armed with information on how many CS calls you've made which resulted in only a temporary fix.

New User
slseaman01
0 Kudos

Disappointed in BN customer care center in regards to Nook freezing.

[ Edited ]

I have had my Nook since the first of Feb. Since that time, it has frozen on me numerous times. I have called the customer care center several times only to have them walk me through the same steps to reset it. By this time, I already know how to do this! I called this morning and once again they had me do the SAME steps. One hour later, at work, my Nook froze yet again. I called again and they wanted me to reset it again. Why in the world would I have my charger  at work with me to reset it EVERY single time it freezes??? They told me that  they are having this problem with a lot of them so it is not condsidered a defective. WHAT?! Are you serious? I was told that I would have to wait until the new software comes out...that SHOULD fix the problem. So what about in the mean time that I can't use it without it freezing? I guess I am suppose to carry my charger to work, on a airplane or any where else I go because it is not really a truly an ereader but a pain in the backside!

Distinguished Correspondent
Tboner
0 Kudos

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I would like to ask a question however.

What was your purpose for complaining here??? All we can do is commiserate you with the amount of information you have supplied.

Here's some suggestions that may allow you to help yourself.

Search the board here for like issues. There are posts about known issues that will lock up a nook that can be worked around for the time being.

Tell us more about when the nook crashes, what are you doing when it crashes. Are you looking up books in the B&N library or your own documents folder?? Is it occuring when you are reading a document and if so what kind??

Or if all you came here for is to vent, well I guess you're done now, not much we can do to help you with that.

Good Luck!

New User
rmysoldr
0 Kudos

I think the original poster was "complaining" here because that is what this forum is for.  It's not specifically for raving about how wonderrful the Nook is.  I can't speak for him (or her), but as for me, my nook has frozen during a variety of different activities:

1.  loading a book

2.  turning a page

3.  looking through my library

4.  turning it on

You name it, it's frozen.  And it can't be anything that I've downloaded, unless Barnes & Noble is selling books with viruses (I doubt that) because I've only downloaded 2 books from B&N.  No personal photos, documents, or music.  No books from other sites.

It's extremely disheartening.  It's also frustrating to find a place to explain those frustrating feelings, only to have another person bash you for doing so.  This should be a forum for open lines of discussion.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

rmysoldr wrote:

I think the original poster was "complaining" here because that is what this forum is for.  It's not specifically for raving about how wonderrful the Nook is.  I can't speak for him (or her), but as for me, my nook has frozen during a variety of different activities:

1.  loading a book

2.  turning a page

3.  looking through my library

4.  turning it on

You name it, it's frozen.  And it can't be anything that I've downloaded, unless Barnes & Noble is selling books with viruses (I doubt that) because I've only downloaded 2 books from B&N.  No personal photos, documents, or music.  No books from other sites.

It's extremely disheartening.  It's also frustrating to find a place to explain those frustrating feelings, only to have another person bash you for doing so.  This should be a forum for open lines of discussion.

Well yes and no, there are legitimate complaints, but posting the same thing in two different threads ten minutes apart is a bit much.

As for this being the place to do this, that is what I disagree with, the appropriate forum would be the nook Q&A and Support Board.

We begged the moderators to split up the one help board we had and they did.  Using the appropriate board would probably elicit a more appropriate response.

As far as the problem with this nook goes, I'd demand a replacement and wouldn't get off the phone until I had one.

Distinguished Wordsmith
eDigest
0 Kudos

Here's a possible fix for nooks that randomly freeze and do not respond to the usual remove battery procedure.

The typical problem prior to the v1.2 upgrade was apparently due to a code problem.  The code upgrade seems to have cleared up most of the problems.

But ... somebody figured out that with some nooks the battery did not fit quite right.  A "shim" fixed the problem.  Here's a reference:

Shim Battery Fix

Personally, even if this works for you I would consider it a temporary fix.  Even if this fixes your problem, it essentially proves that your unit is defective so you should be able to get a replacement.

New User
slseaman01
0 Kudos

Thanks for "allowing" me to vent. Glad I got permission. I, like others, use this to express our satisfaction with the Nook.

New User
slseaman01
0 Kudos

The 2 different postings actually was an accident. I was having trouble with my internet service that day and kept losing connection. Sorry if I added confusion! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.

Correspondent
EastCoastBird

[ Edited ]

I don't have any problems with my nook, but if I had problems like your freezing issue and I get responses like you claim you're getting, I go from :smileyhappy: to :smileymad: in the space of about 3 seconds.

Well, I actually would've given CS a reasonable opportunity to address the problem (even if it takes a couple of phone calls) but I refuse to be somebody's (a company's) doormat or strung along, dragging across a field like a crippled kite.  Yeah, I should've been a writer...LOL.  My last phone call would've ended with a demand for a replacement or a RMA (and NO RESTOCKING FEE!).  After that, if still no joy, a nice little phone call to my credit company to dispute the charge.

So, even though I've been saccharine sweet about my nook because it's been outstanding so far with no problems or issues worth ranting or venting or whining over, I'm not averse to transforming into my "Oh, no, you di-int" alter ego when the need arises, telephone booth nearby or not.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

EastCoastBird wrote:

I don't have any problems with my nook, but if I had problems like your freezing issue and I get responses like you claim you're getting, I go from :smileyhappy: to :smileymad: in the space of about 3 seconds.

Well, I actually would've given CS a reasonable opportunity to address the problem (even if it takes a couple of phone calls) but I refuse to be somebody's (a company's) doormat or strung along, dragging across a field like a crippled kite.  Yeah, I should've been a writer...LOL.  My last phone call would've ended with a demand for a replacement or a RMA (and NO RESTOCKING FEE!).  After that, if still no joy, a nice little phone call to my credit company to dispute the charge.

So, even though I've been saccharine sweet about my nook because it's been outstanding so far with no problems or issues worth ranting or venting or whining over, I'm not averse to transforming into my "Oh, no, you di-int" alter ego when the need arises, telephone booth nearby or not.

Laurels for the giggle and the look into my mirror!  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Michael-V
0 Kudos

This message has been moved to a more appropriate location. This helps to keep our boards organized.