Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Disappointed in new N2E (New Nook Simple Reader) thus far

deemure wrote:
Exactly how many of these same threads is the OP going to start? This is the 3rd or 4th so far.

I guess he's disappointed that the new Nook didn't do what he THOUGHT it would do even though B&N never said it had the features he wanted.  Go figure.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:  "Unless the device specifically said it had those features and then didn't have them then you have no reason to be disappointed."

The device specifically says it supports PDFs, yet it does not display them correctly.  All devices are expected to operate correctly (minor glitches to be expected).  Therefore, I have every reason to be disappointed.  If you don't like me criticizing the product, tough.  Move on.

Frequent Contributor
JEB63
0 Kudos

B&N Specifically said it supports PDFs.  It fails to read PDFs correctly.  Go figure.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Pdf support has been an issue from day one and continues for a variety of reasons. On smaller devices, it is important for a pdf to reflow correctly. Some just won't, those with tables or created with scans or certain "hard" formatted styles and images that do not allow scaling. There are also limitations to some pdf readers. The pdf reader should work in landscape mode, which would help solve many issues. But we get the idea, you aren't happy with just about everything. You have said it's going back, so it seems the discussion is over.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

It really does look like a Nook Color or an iPad, which are more appropriate for reading PDF docs, would be more suited to your needs. Have you considered retiring your nook and getting one of those devices?
Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

He said in another thread that he was returning the N2E. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Big_Dave_H wrote:

And has already returned an N1E and a NOOKColor.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

Big_Dave_H wrote:

And has already returned an N1E and a NOOKColor.

Since he has now returned every model of NOOK, he should now move on to some other ereader...

Inspired Correspondent
Big_Dave_H
0 Kudos

He may very well have done so.  I did not see any post where he said his experiences were limited to Nooks. 

The military had been testing some eReaders specifically built for PDFs, but I don't think any have ever made it to full production.  Those devices are probably the only ones which will do what he wants.  Personally, it would be nice to have all my tech manuals (PDF) on a nice little eReader.