Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Rakon
0 Kudos

Disappointed with Barnes & Noble Customer Service

Purchased two color Nooks as gifts for family. Received email they were shipped 11/19, shipping was supposed to be 5-7 days. Did not come on time, called customer service numerous times...no help. The service center was in the Philippines with workers who had trouble understanding English. Very disappointed with the horrible service just trying to find out what the hold up was with my order, nobody really seemed to care. Order finally arrived December 10th. A great big thumbs down to Barnes & Noble customer service!

Frequent Contributor
Mr_Gone

Re: Disappointed with Barnes & Noble Customer Service

I dunno. I've had to call BN Customer Support 3 times in the past month (Nook Color). The resolution was to send me a New Nook Color... No problem with that, however I never received it. Apparently there was something wrong with the shipping because I received a message saying "Undeliverable as Addressed".

The second person i called wasnt helpful at all and wasted a week waiting...

But the 3rd person was great... its hit or miss i think

Contributor
alexutlang29
0 Kudos

well if you can speak our language it would be better. check your tracking # next time

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

Having spent long stretches on the phone with B&N customer service reps, it has been my experience that the reps speak excellent English, have good comprehension of the language, and use impeccable manners.

Now if they could only manage to get my extended warranty through the system...

Reader 4
pedrojuanito
0 Kudos

it's not from the Philippines that the device is coming from. I don't see any reason why it has to be personal and criticize the nationality of the "workers" in the Philippines. 

"Walang matamis na prutas sa taong bagong tutbras!"
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

I've had to call BN CS multiple times over the years and have never gotten anyone who did not speak very clear English.  Also you should have checked your tracking - it was probably the shippers fault this time of year.  FedEx and UPS are overloaded with packages and have a lot of temporary helpers loading the trucks and your shipment could have been put on the wrong truck causing the delay.  My husband works for UPS and it happens all the time especially this time of year with a bunch of college kids looking to make a few extra bucks helping out with loading the trucks....

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

I've had to call B&N CS several times and actually asked once where the call center was located (my husband is a consultant) and it is in the U.S.  We do have immigrants that work our call centers in the U.S.--it doesn't mean the call center is located overseas. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

B&N customer service was, and to my knowledge still is, located in New Jersey.

Now, to some, this may seem like a foreign country, but it is nowhere near the Philippines. :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

BN has been outsourcing due to the overwhelming calls.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Jenniisme wrote:

BN has been outsourcing due to the overwhelming calls.

This is correct, the center i called was in Manila.

i expect after the holidays it will be all NJ based again.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

Anybody who thinks B&N customer service is bad has never dealt with Sears CS.:smileyvery-happy:

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

Didn't you get a tracking number with your shipped notice?    I know I did with mine.

---------
Don
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

Anybody who thinks B&N customer service is bad has never dealt with Sears CS.:smileyvery-happy:

I have and will never buy an appliance from them again!    :smileyhappy:

Linda

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Welcome to 2010.  Outsourcing is here to stay.

Frequent Contributor
768MPH
0 Kudos

We have 2 stores in our area and their customer service is A+ in my book. They are very helpful and always take the time to explain or show us where items are located.

I have never called their 800#, but like some have said, it's hit or miss on the phone.

Mr. Pink
Contributor
alexutlang29
0 Kudos

outsoourcing is necessary if you want your business to stay. people in the philippines or  in india are only getting $400 average salary every month. compare that to your salary in the US!! and we also pay taxes just like you americans

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

alexutlang29 wrote:

outsoourcing is necessary if you want your business to stay. people in the philippines or  in india are only getting $400 average salary every month. compare that to your salary in the US!! and we also pay taxes just like you americans

I have had some very good experiences with outsourced call centers and some that are very bad. Unfortunately the bad experiences become etched in our brains and that is all we tend to remember.

Some companies seem to outsource call centers and severely limit their authority\resources just so they can say they have a customer support line.

New User
CindyNY
0 Kudos

I believe the "techs" are in the Philippines....I talked to a woman last night who connected me to the tech center....I did ask where they were located after being on the phone for over a half hour for a small problem.  He said Philippines......kept putting me on hold to ask how to do things.....it was noisy.....I pictured this little room with too many people in it and only one person with any real answers.

Cindy

New User
DisappointedMA
0 Kudos

Just ordered a paperback. Got an email it was ready to ship. Got an email the next day that my order was canceled. When I called Customer Service their computer systems were down and they couldn't help me. They told me to call back later. When I called back they told me that my order (pre-order by the way) was canceled because it was out of stock. Then they reassured me that 8 hours after my order was cancelled that my order was indeed in stock and told me to reorder over the internet. After I demanded free shipping,they agreed to adjust order to expedite shipping and that shipping will be totally free. That is not what my online credit card statement says... Nor is it what my order status states, on their website. I was also talking to a rep in the Philippines, I could barely hear her due to white noise and low volume. There was no evidence that she cared anything about this issue. I should just buy it from the small book store down the street who has it in stock for a higher price. Obviously, B&N has done nothing to improve customer service over the past two years. At least I'll get good customer service from the mom and pop shop.