Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
NewNook123

Disappointed with Barnes & Noble process

I bought a Nook for my daughter for Christmas.  We love B&N and I thought it would be a great first digital reader for her.  I have an ipad and generally can download books from Apple, B&N and Amazon. (I have the respective app for each vendor.)

First, I was told by a Barnes & Noble employee that "yes - I would be able to access books purchased through itunes on my new Nook".  YES -- A BARNES AND NOBLE EMPLOYEE told me this -- I asked since I already had an ipad and quite a library.  You can imagine my disspointment.

Secondly, I purchased this device for a 10 year old.  No - she doesn't have a credit card and no, she isn't authorized to use mine.  I was forced to set this device up with my information, instead of creating a new account for an up and coming Barnes & Noble customer with her own reading tastes.

Thirdly, because I knew my daughter was getting a Nook, I advised friends and relatives to purchase Barnes & Noble gift cards as a Christmas gift.  However, it seems that the nook wont recognize the gift cards.

I'm really tempted to go back to the store and fling the nook back at them.  Barnes & Noble has really shot themselves in the foot with this.

Over the last few years, I have watched this book seller get more and more hostile with it 's customers. I would recommend learning to play well with your competitors as well as your customers, or your customers will go else where.  I'll be much less likely  to purchase digital merchandise from Barnes & Noble and less likely to buy a Nook for anyone else again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Re: Disappointed with Barnes & Noble process

[ Edited ]

The easy solution is to set up a separate account for her, with your credit card but a different email address.  (Free accounts from Yahoo or hotmail are easy.  It doesn't even have to be an email account she can access.)   I have no idea what you mean by "it seems that the nook wont recognize the gift cards."  Gift cards are loaded on the account, not on the Nook.  It is easy to set the Nook to require a password for each purchase.  If you want to prevent her from making purchases without your approval, simply don't give her the password.

By the way, whatever you bought her was not a Nook First Edition, since they haven't been made in a couple years.

keriflur

On point 1 - A B&N employee shoud NEVER have told you this.  B&N, it's on YOU to educate your employees.  Anyone who knows anything about the nook knows it can't read iTunes books because of the proprietary DRM, and it's embarassing if even one of your store employees is saying it can.

On point 2 - The need for a credit card is something that the store employee should have told you, but it's also something you should have asked about as B&N isn't the only store to have this setup (last I checked, this is how Apple does accounts).

On point 3 - Gift cards go on the account, not the nook.  Just add them to the account and the nook will use them for purchases.  Keep the cards though - in case there are issues down the road.  (You can search the forums for the issues that others have seen with gift cards.)

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It's also very possible that there was a miscommunication on the iPad issue.

You can download books you purchased with the Nook app on your iPad to your Nook, just use the same account. 

You can't download books from the iTunes store or from the Kindle app to your Nook.  Without stepping into the darker shades of gray of copyright law and using 3rd party apps and 3rd party addons to those apps to do so.  None of which any of the three companies involved here would support. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
tmr4

I bought a NST for my 10 year old daughter, but had the oppisite experience, perhaps because I'm more familiar with the device than you. I set up her own account with her own email which my internet service provider makes available. I used my credit card but bought her gift cards to use for purchases. With the new 1.2 software update we added these cards directly on the NST (go to Setting/Shop/Gift Cards). After adding the cards the nook shows your balance. It also shows the balance on cards added on the BN site.

I can relate to your frustration with unfamiliar tech though. I had a major headache getting my other daughter's new ipod nano set up. I was very surprised because I had always heard of Apple's focus on ease of use. Well I didn't find iTunes as intuitive as it seems Apple thinks it is. I'm happy to say though that after an hour or so of frustration my daughter is enjoying her new nano. Too bad the setup experience wasn't as easy as the nook.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

tmr4 wrote:
I bought a NST for my 10 year old daughter, but had the oppisite experience, perhaps because I'm more familiar with the device than you. I set up her own account with her own email which my internet service provider makes available. I used my credit card but bought her gift cards to use for purchases. With the new 1.2 software update we added these cards directly on the NST (go to Setting/Shop/Gift Cards). After adding the cards the nook shows your balance. It also shows the balance on cards added on the BN site.

I can relate to your frustration with unfamiliar tech though. I had a major headache getting my other daughter's new ipod nano set up. I was very surprised because I had always heard of Apple's focus on ease of use. Well I didn't find iTunes as intuitive as it seems Apple thinks it is. I'm happy to say though that after an hour or so of frustration my daughter is enjoying her new nano. Too bad the setup experience wasn't as easy as the nook.

This isn't an Appe forum, but I'll second the itunes statement.  I've been sing iTunes for a whie now and I find the latest version pretty much the opposite of intuitive.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

You can also check with your bank to see if they have pre-paid credit cards for kids. My daughter has had one of these since she was about 9 or so. They don't need to have a bank acct and you can add funds online with either a CC or a transfer from your acct. If you are military USAA has a great one.
Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

It is unfortunate that B&N choose to design the payment structure based on credit cards.

The best way to add credit card for minor is to use an USED prepaid credit card. The card should not be expired. (I recently received an American Express Gift Card and it has an expiration date of 2021!)

The card can have a balance of $0. I tried and it works fine. But if you are worried that the card maybe cancelled by the issuer, you can leave a $0.01 balance on the card. You can then add gift cards and knows exactly how much your minor can spend.

For those who don't want to pay a fee to purchase prepaid credit card. You should be glad to know that those credit cards from rebate fullfillment works fine too. The downside is they usually expire in 6 months or so.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info. I have an AE gift card coming and will try it on my daughter's account. Note that others have reported problems using zero balance cards. Perhaps AE treats the test transactions BN uses differently.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

nooktwo wrote:

It is unfortunate that B&N choose to design the payment structure based on credit cards.

That is your opinion.  I absolutely disagree.

I prefer this DRM-scheme to any of the other current booksellers' schemes which are device or account specific.  Meaning, I cauld not share Kindle/Kobo/Sony/Google books with anyone not registered to my account.

B&N's DRM provides the ability to place your books on any number of NOOKS/devices with NOOK apps installed, as long as you are willing to provide the unlock code - your name and credit card number.  Of course it has to be a credit card number, because in order to provide the publishers' with some (false) sense that their products are "secure" the unlock key would need to be a number consumers' wouldn't willy-nilly share.

Everyone else offers what you want.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

That is your opinion.  I absolutely disagree.

I prefer this DRM-scheme to any of the other current booksellers' schemes which are device or account specific.  Meaning, I cauld not share Kindle/Kobo/Sony/Google books with anyone not registered to my account.

B&N's DRM provides the ability to place your books on any number of NOOKS/devices with NOOK apps installed, as long as you are willing to provide the unlock code - your name and credit card number.  Of course it has to be a credit card number, because in order to provide the publishers' with some (false) sense that their products are "secure" the unlock key would need to be a number consumers' wouldn't willy-nilly share.

Everyone else offers what you want.

I have to a agree with Ya_Ya.   This DRM works great for me, it allows me to share books with several others without having us all attached to the same account.  So I don't believe it's unfortunate at all.

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't really understand the argument of book sharing. Is that even legal? Can both books be read at the same time?

I assume you are not talking about the "LendMe" function which is not available to all eBooks. Book lending also works on Kindle without a credit card.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

nooktwo wrote:

I don't really understand the argument of book sharing. Is that even legal? Can both books be read at the same time?

Yes, it's legal.  It's a function of the social DRM.  The entire point, actually.

With a Kindle, if you have six Kindles/devices with the Kindle app and register them to one account you can download the book to all six devices.  You can then un-register some or all of them from that account, but still read the book on those devices.  Yes, at the same time.  The books can only be read on those devices, though.  

With a Sony/Kobo/Google account, books can only be read on devices registered to the same ADE account.  The limit is, again, generally six.

With B&N, I can own a NOOK registered to my own account.  My husband can have a NOOK registered to his account.  I buy The Hunger Games and love it and insist he read it.  I sideload it to his NOOK, I open it, enter the unlock code and he can read it.  I can then sideload it to my Father-in-Law's NOOK Color, my BFF's NOOK HD+ and my brother's Galaxy Tab with NOOK app.  As long as I open it and enter the unlock code, they can all read that book that I bought, very much like they could with a DTB I might have bought.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Yes, it's legal.  It's a function of the social DRM.  The entire point, actually.

With a Kindle, if you have six Kindles/devices with the Kindle app and register them to one account you can download the book to all six devices.  You can then un-register some or all of them from that account, but still read the book on those devices.  Yes, at the same time.  The books can only be read on those devices, though.  

With a Sony/Kobo/Google account, books can only be read on devices registered to the same ADE account.  The limit is, again, generally six.

With B&N, I can own a NOOK registered to my own account.  My husband can have a NOOK registered to his account.  I buy The Hunger Games and love it and insist he read it.  I sideload it to his NOOK, I open it, enter the unlock code and he can read it.  I can then sideload it to my Father-in-Law's NOOK Color, my BFF's NOOK HD+ and my brother's Galaxy Tab with NOOK app.  As long as I open it and enter the unlock code, they can all read that book that I bought, very much like they could with a DTB I might have bought.

I second your opinion if you have to be stuck with DRM this is the best. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Question about the Kindle process.  When I unregister my Kindle app on my ipad it removes all the books from the app.  do the Kindles work differently?

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Do you have citation to back up your claim? Manuals? End user agreements?

If you just download the NOOKbook and sideload it, what prevents you from sharing it with 5 people? 50? 500? The entire internet? You can claim all of them your extended family! Remember, you can use prepaid credit card and purchase books annonymously.

In fact, what is the point of having LendMe when you can sideload books and unlock to read at the same time? AFAIK, you need to enter CC# for LendMe too.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

nooktwo wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

If you just download the NOOKbook and sideload it, what prevents you from sharing it with 5 people? 50? 500? The entire internet? You can claim all of them your extended family! Remember, you can use prepaid credit card and purchase books annonymously.

In fact, what is the point of having LendMe when you can sideload books and unlock to read at the same time? AFAIK, you need to enter CC# for LendMe too.

You aren't circumventing the DRM, so unless there is something somewhere saying you can't do it, it is legal.  There is nothing stopping you from sharing said NookBook with 500 million people if you so desire, though I doubt you'd like to go around and input your information into that many devices, or turn over your information to that many people so they can input it themselves.

LendMe is a completely different program.  You do not need to input your information when sharing a LendMe eBook.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
bklvr896

nooktwo wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Are you willing to give your cc number to 50, 500 people?  The entire Internet?  That's why they use they use the cc number, most people aren't willing to do that.  No cc number is needed for lendme.  Look at the posts of people looking for lendme friends, they're not going to provide their cc number to total strangers.

Wordsmith
ProfReader

This concept is amazingly simple. I Don't comprehend why it is so hard to comprehend.
Mercury_Glitch

ProfReader wrote:
This concept is amazingly simple. I Don't comprehend why it is so hard to comprehend.

When one sticks their head in the sand, it's very hard to see the sunrise.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.