Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
celloboy
0 Kudos

Ditch the nook and go for kindle

I just realized many ebook prices have increased all of a sudden...some even to an astounding >100%.  I was trying to buy "The Program" for $9.99...and after I went through the whole purchase on my nook, the copy was never downloaded to my device.  I checked back again in an hour and the price has increased to more than $20.  Apparently the time I purchased the book is right when the site was updating the prices and somehow my transaction for $9.99 never went through.  I checked Amazon and it is selling the same book for $9.99.  I have five books on my list and all of them were much more expensive than Amazon, at least 20% more.  I understand different stores have different pricing systems, just like some items are cheaper at CVS than Walgreen and vice versa...but it doesn't need a rocket scientist to figure out this is the time to ditch when all items at BN are much more expensive than Amazon...well...at least for me, first thing tomorrow after work is to head over to the BN store and return that device.  It's a piece of unpolished junk anyway, well, that will be my other post for its erratic freezing and battery draining...

Frequent Contributor
Jeffell
0 Kudos

Re: Ditch the nook and go for kindle

It occurs to me there might just be an occasional Amazon employee posting here? Or Amazon agent? Or person who has trouble with gadgets? Or person who needs meds occasionally?

Get printed books. I hear they don't freeze, don't use batteries, can go anywhere, never lose bookmarks, last for centuries, never need updating, can be loaned, can be borrowed, can be written in, can be used for pressing flowers, can hold up wet coffee cups, can be signed by the author, can be thrown at someone you don't like, can make you look smarter than normal when reading in front of others, and...can be used by typical four year olds.

Frequent Contributor
jimcook2
0 Kudos

"....I hear they don't freeze, don't use batteries, can go anywhere, never lose bookmarks, last for centuries, never need updating, can be loaned, can be borrowed, can be written in, can be....."

I suspect you are correct Jeffell.

Although, as in this case, if he chose a DTB he might have trouble manipulaping the page turn function.  :-)

Scribe
03FLHT2
0 Kudos

I think it has more to do with the Pricing structure than the device itself.  I have never had an issue and I am very upset that I had my wife buy this and now I pay more for a license deal like I do with M$ than I can buy a hard cover for, which when I am done with can loan to as many people as I want.

Contributor
TechnoDoc
0 Kudos

I will agree with one point the original poster made...

The ebook he mentions "The Program" is $9.99 on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Program-Brain-Smart-Healthiest-Life-Changing-ebook/dp/B002ZJCR1O/ref=tmm_kin_t...

and $20.79 on B&N:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Program/Kelly-Traver/e/9781439149683/?itm=1&USRI=the+program

Even the hardcover ($18.47) on Amazon is cheaper than the ebook on B&N.

I love the Nook hardware and platform so much more than the Kindle (I own both), but the lack of periodical content and sometimes arbitrary pricing are my biggest gripes.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Amazon pricing will also be increasing soon.  Remember the whole McMillian vs Amazon price war a few weeks back? 

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

there is going to be a general price increase on all books I don't care where you get them & you certainly don't dump a product because of one book is more costly on B&N, look at the long haul & I think both formats will have high priced books & lower priced books you look at the avg price...I have booth devices & the nook has a bit more going for it as I can use the library which is free or other ebub sites so I really can shop around & save, your being a bit extreme over one book...

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Mandroid wrote:

Amazon pricing will also be increasing soon.  Remember the whole McMillian vs Amazon price war a few weeks back? 

Not necessarily.  Any publisher that is locked into a  contract with Amazon will be "stuck" until it runs out. In addition, I think as McMillian's sales go down, they will lower their prices.  Amazon was very straightforward in that they leave it up to the customer on whether to spend that much for the book.  I think the point was pretty clear that with higher prices, there will be less sales.  What remains to be seen is how this affect McMillian's overall profit.  Amazon has also never had a problem with taking a loss on an ebook to keep the publisher and the customer happy.
Frequent Contributor
Jeffell
0 Kudos

"I will agree with one point the original poster made...."

Well, then, people are mixing issues.

First, books, bagels and bicycles are all priced at what the market will allow. If you don't like the price here, buy elsewhere. It doesn't need to be Amazon. Then again, grocery stores often offer "loss-leaders" to attract people. I bet Amazon did just that with that book mentioned. I bet B&N has a few loss-leaders, too. I just got one yesterday by reading the "Daily" - Flawless...it was FREE! Amazon offers it for $16.47

http://www.amazon.com/Flawless-Inside-Largest-Diamond-History/dp/1402766513/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=boo...

So, the door swings both ways.

The other issue was with the Nook. It sounded like an agenda-driven post, which is why I got a sense that it was an Amazonian. Not constructive, just a drive-by shooting.

Contributor
jsilvrs
0 Kudos

Jeffell wrote:
Then again, grocery stores often offer "loss-leaders" to attract people. I bet Amazon did just that with that book mentioned.

Are most of the books on my wish list "loss-leaders"?

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo            BN-7.77      Amazon-5.50

The Girl who Played with Fire                BN-13.49    Amazon-8.00

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest   BN-14.01    Amazon-10.35

Shutter Island                                        BN-7.19      Amazon-7.19

Mystic River                                           BN-8.99      Amazon-10.41

The Shack                                             BN-6.00      Amazon-6.00

The Secret Speech                               BN-17.85    Amazon-9.99    

Wolf Hall                                                BN-16.87    Amazon-9.99   

Contributor
woodstockkid

I think you have to remember, though, that the Nook can accept books from a lot more venues. You don't have to purchase books just from Barnes & Nobles, so if you're willing to let your fingers do a little more walking, you'll find some like these:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo            Kobobooks.com-5.50      Amazon-5.50

The Girl who Played with Fire                Sony eBookstore-9.99    Amazon-8.00

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest   Kobobooks.com-10.49    Amazon-10.35

Shutter Island                                        Kobobooks.com-7.19      Amazon-7.19

Mystic River                                           BN-8.99                           Amazon-10.41

The Shack                                             Kobobooks.com-6.00      Amazon-6.00

The Secret Speech                               Sony eBookstore-9.99     Amazon-9.99    

Wolf Hall                                                Kobobooks.com-8.80      Amazon-9.99   

So hopefully the competition is going to bring the market in line? I don't know the answer here. I just know I shop around for the best prices, and frankly, like several others here, so far I have only downloaded free books and borrowed from the library thus far, in hopes that the price wars and such will settle down in time. Maybe I'm naive, but nonetheless I'm enjoying a lot of free reading in the interim. :-)

Contributor
jsilvrs
0 Kudos

I didn't have to shop around until I checked my wish list today.  The Secret Speech  and Wolf Hall here priced the same as Sony and Kobobooks until this new price reset.  I have a stock pile of books, so I can also wait on purchasing books.  I do love reading the free books and hope to borrowing from a library soon.

I do prefer BN books, if the prices are comparable, for the cover flow.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

woodstockkid wrote:

I think you have to remember, though, that the Nook can accept books from a lot more venues. You don't have to purchase books just from Barnes & Nobles, so if you're willing to let your fingers do a little more walking, you'll find some like these:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo            Kobobooks.com-5.50      Amazon-5.50

The Girl who Played with Fire                Sony eBookstore-9.99    Amazon-8.00

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest   Kobobooks.com-10.49    Amazon-10.35

Shutter Island                                        Kobobooks.com-7.19      Amazon-7.19

Mystic River                                           BN-8.99                           Amazon-10.41

The Shack                                             Kobobooks.com-6.00      Amazon-6.00

The Secret Speech                               Sony eBookstore-9.99     Amazon-9.99    

Wolf Hall                                                Kobobooks.com-8.80      Amazon-9.99   

So hopefully the competition is going to bring the market in line? I don't know the answer here. I just know I shop around for the best prices, and frankly, like several others here, so far I have only downloaded free books and borrowed from the library thus far, in hopes that the price wars and such will settle down in time. Maybe I'm naive, but nonetheless I'm enjoying a lot of free reading in the interim. :-)

Mystic River is $7.99 at Amazon

Frequent Contributor
Jeffell
0 Kudos

"Are most of the books on my wish list "loss-leaders"?"

Loss-Leaders?? Sure, Amazon is welcome to lose all the money they want, and they do. Amazon is a fine company, with great offers, and trustworthy sales. I use them all the time. However, they don't make the Kindle superior to the Nook, on every book.Plus, the prices fluctuate all the time. Don't bother trying to press an argument that these prices are set in stone.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo            BN-7.77      Amazon-5.50   Fictionwise $12.71 100% rebate

The Girl who Played with Fire                BN-13.49    Amazon-8.00   Fictionwise $17.00  100% rebate

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest   BN-14.01    Amazon-10.35 N/A

Shutter Island                                        BN-7.19      Amazon-7.19    Fictionwise $10.19  100% Rebate

Mystic River                                           BN-8.99      Amazon-10.41   Fictionwise $10.19

The Shack                                             BN-6.00      Amazon-6.00    Fictionwise $12.74  100% Rebate

The Secret Speech                               BN-17.85    Amazon-9.99    Fictionwise $21.24

Wolf Hall                                                BN-16.87    Amazon-9.99    Ficionwise  $17.00   100% Rebate

Still, if you used a calculator, you could get, as an example:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl who Played with Fire

Shutter Island

Wolf Hall

for $29.71 and have $2.52 credit left over by using Fictionwise.com (a B&N company).

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Jeffell wrote:

"Are most of the books on my wish list "loss-leaders"?"

Loss-Leaders?? Sure, Amazon is welcome to lose all the money they want, and they do. Amazon is a fine company, with great offers, and trustworthy sales. I use them all the time. However, they don't make the Kindle superior to the Nook, on every book.Plus, the prices fluctuate all the time. Don't bother trying to press an argument that these prices are set in stone.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo            BN-7.77      Amazon-5.50   Fictionwise $12.71 100% rebate

The Girl who Played with Fire                BN-13.49    Amazon-8.00   Fictionwise $17.00  100% rebate

The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest   BN-14.01    Amazon-10.35 N/A

Shutter Island                                        BN-7.19      Amazon-7.19    Fictionwise $10.19  100% Rebate

Mystic River                                           BN-8.99      Amazon-10.41   Fictionwise $10.19

The Shack                                             BN-6.00      Amazon-6.00    Fictionwise $12.74  100% Rebate

The Secret Speech                               BN-17.85    Amazon-9.99    Fictionwise $21.24

Wolf Hall                                                BN-16.87    Amazon-9.99    Ficionwise  $17.00   100% Rebate

Still, if you used a calculator, you could get, as an example:

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

The Girl who Played with Fire

Shutter Island

Wolf Hall

for $29.71 and have $2.52 credit left over by using Fictionwise.com (a B&N company).

OR

Using all the books except The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest (omitted from the equation since it is not available from both vendors) it works out as follows for the other 8 books:

1. Purchase the 5 books with the 100% rebate for $69.64 and have that money available to purchase...
  2. The other 3 books for $31.43 which leaves you with...
  3. $38.21 in credits to use for other books OR
  4. Spend $57.08 with Amazon for the 8 books and have nothing left to spend.

Something to keep in mind regarding The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest, this will very likely be on the NYT Bestseller List and will therefore be another book with !00% rebate from Fictionwise.  I never pre-order books that will be big sellers for just this reason.  Check the current list out here.

Contributor
jsilvrs
0 Kudos

I know if I shop around I can get better deals.  That is not really the point.  BN was getting bashed on these boards in November and early December for having high prices.  Then BN moved their prices more inline with Amazon pricing. Then yesterday the prices for many books went back to the pre-nook pricing scheme.   i.e $5-$6 more than amazon.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

jsilvrs wrote:

I know if I shop around I can get better deals.  That is not really the point.  BN was getting bashed on these boards in November and early December for having high prices.  Then BN moved their prices more inline with Amazon pricing. Then yesterday the prices for many books went back to the pre-nook pricing scheme.   i.e $5-$6 more than amazon.

That might not be YOUR point, for many of though getting the best deal is a major point.  For me, that hasn't been Amazon or B&N at any of their price points.  Many nook owners don't even realize they can purchase from sources other than B&N.

I'm sure B&N did this just so they could really get their customers angry, they wake up every morning with just that goal in mind.  Yeah, probably not.

We all knew this was coming from the time the iPad was introduced and their deals with publishers made public.  All prices for those publishing houses will be rising, it's just a matter of contract dates, IMHO.  After all, Amazon wouldn't have fought as hard as they did a few weeks ago if that wasn't the case.

For me personally, none of my books have gone up in price and it wouldn't matter if they did since I'm sitting on $300 in credit from Fictionwise.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

jsilvrs wrote:

That might not be YOUR point, for many of though getting the best deal is a major point.  For me, that hasn't been Amazon or B&N at any of their price points.  Many nook owners don't even realize they can purchase from sources other than B&N.

I'm sure B&N did this just so they could really get their customers angry, they wake up every morning with just that goal in mind.  Yeah, probably not.

We all knew this was coming from the time the iPad was introduced and their deals with publishers made public.  All prices for those publishing houses will be rising, it's just a matter of contract dates, IMHO.  After all, Amazon wouldn't have fought as hard as they did a few weeks ago if that wasn't the case.

For me personally, none of my books have gone up in price and it wouldn't matter if they did since I'm sitting on $300 in credit from Fictionwise.

This may be your preference but one of the great things about having 3G is the ability to purchase or download from anywhere in the US.  For those that want that and don't want to go through the hassle of sideloading, Fictionwise and the other sites do nothing for them.  Plus, not everyone wants to spend the money up front and then get a credit.  Sometimes a person only has $10 to spend on a book, not $20 just to get a credit.  To each their own.  I know some use Fictionwise and love it.  I, on the other hand rarely do.  I would rather not deal with credits that I don't know if I will ever use.  What happens if Fictionwise takes a hit as well and their prices double or go up even 50%?
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

ok the war between companies is on , no I don't think so not completely. I think it's what I call getting real. Face it neither company makes real money at 9.99 or if they do not enough to operate, its like the bait & switch all companies use , get you in the store & than they eventually get you comfortable & than the prices go up. It's the American company in action, that along with publishers gripping about e book prices & getting ripped off. Eventually IMHO both vendors will be forced to raise prices either now or later.. For the record I own both the Nook & Kindle partly because of prices partly because I'm a gadget person. There are no promises made by either company , it is just the way it is...e books are a new product things are just warming up...