Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
Mandroid
0 Kudos

Re: Ditch the nook and go for kindle

I make all of my purchasing decisions using a Magic 8 Ball.  Seriously, you can't go wrong with either one.  It boils down to personal preference, so if you can somehow get a hold of both of them to play around with that may make it easier.  Both devices have similar failure rates and issues judging by both help boards, so there is no real difference there either.  Even puarchasing is a similar experience (yes, I have played with both).  The books I looked for were available on both and at about the same price.

"5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions"
Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

Grizzly wrote:

I like the fact that the Nook does allow shopping around at several ebookstores because of using ePub. But doesn't buying books from other stores mean you can't use the Nook features? I'm talking about things like notes, highlighting, searching, bookmarking? What about the dictionary, does it work with sideloaded ebooks?

I don't know where this rumor got started, but it is not true.  For the record -- and from personal experience -- the notes, highlighting, searching and bookmarking features work the same on my side-loaded books (mostly from Fictionwise and Googlebooks) as it does on my B&N books.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Large_Marge wrote:

Grizzly wrote:

I like the fact that the Nook does allow shopping around at several ebookstores because of using ePub. But doesn't buying books from other stores mean you can't use the Nook features? I'm talking about things like notes, highlighting, searching, bookmarking? What about the dictionary, does it work with sideloaded ebooks?

B&N has already stated they would work with Googlebooks as they are sold form the same store.  Fictonwise is also owned by B&N so the way they are handled is likely the same.

I don't know where this rumor got started, but it is not true.  For the record -- and from personal experience -- the notes, highlighting, searching and bookmarking features work the same on my side-loaded books (mostly from Fictionwise and Googlebooks) as it does on my B&N books.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

The formatting of your reply and quote seems a bit confusing.  I will assume you were answering my note even though your comment appears right below Grizzly's, and inside a quote of my comments.  Anyway ...

I believe the key is the ebook format.  The "Library" functions should work on any ePUB and PDB formatted books on a nook.

Fictionwise and eReader though owned by B&N are, in fact, "other stores" as Grizzly was wondering about.  Their inventory is separate from B&Ns -- but they offer PDB and/or ePUB format for the nook.

Same for Googlebooks.  The fact that you can get them in the B&N online store is incidental to the production and format of their ebooks.  Google produces their own ebooks in ePUB format.  Therefore, even Googlebooks downloaded from their "store" should support the library functions.  (I will download something later, test my theory, and post my findings.)

That is the point of a "standard" format, as was discussed in another thread.  As long as the format meets the standard, the library functions should work just fine regardless of the "store."

P.S. for Alley.  For my own edification, can you point me to a source support for the statement that "B&N has already stated they would work with Googlebooks as they are sold form the same store."?

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Large_Marge wrote:

P.S. for Alley.  For my own edification, can you point me to a source support for the statement that "B&N has already stated they would work with Googlebooks as they are sold form the same store."?

It is in the user manual.  Googlebooks are in epub format which can be annotated just like any other epub or pdb file.