Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Ditch the nook and go for kindle

Larryb52 wrote:

ok the war between companies is on , no I don't think so not completely. I think it's what I call getting real. Face it neither company makes real money at 9.99 or if they do not enough to operate, its like the bait & switch all companies use , get you in the store & than they eventually get you comfortable & than the prices go up. It's the American company in action, that along with publishers gripping about e book prices & getting ripped off. Eventually IMHO both vendors will be forced to raise prices either now or later.. For the record I own both the Nook & Kindle partly because of prices partly because I'm a gadget person. There are no promises made by either company , it is just the way it is...e books are a new product things are just warming up...

I disagree with repect to Amazon.  Amazon does not have the overhead that B&N has with all of its stores.  For that reason and the fact that Amazon is so profitable to begin with, it can afford to cut prices and take a loss on some ebooks.

Contributor
jsilvrs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

FrogAlum wrote:

That might not be YOUR point, for many of though getting the best deal is a major point. 

If getting the best deal is your goal, then why not just shop used books stores.  You can get most books as 25% of MSRP.   I got a nook to save money and for the convenience, but if prices for ebooks get out of hand, I will start shopping used books. 

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

unless you've seen the books don't assume this to be true. Stores & warehouses are not much different than stores. One let's you walk in & look that other just sends it too you & since Amazon sells just about anything & everything do you think they have just one warehouse?? and of course they don't have employees or payroll or workers comp or benefits...their CS is out sourced except for kindle tech, big saving there, B&N has American as CS big difference but I'm off the topic, sorry... as I said both are going to raise prices one just had to be 1st & amazon can only afford to lose on ebooks for awhile...

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

jsilvrs wrote:

FrogAlum wrote:

That might not be YOUR point, for many of though getting the best deal is a major point. 

If getting the best deal is your goal, then why not just shop used books stores.  You can get most books as 25% of MSRP.   I got a nook to save money and for the convenience, but if prices for ebooks get out of hand, I will start shopping used books. 

LOL  I have saved money!  I have spent $447 at Fictionwise, those same books at the old B&N price (nothing higher than $9.99 for hard cover and all paperbacks below the paperback price) would have cost me $449 so I'm one dollar ahead already.  But wait, I still have $293 that I can spend as I like on Fictionwise, in other words, those 64 books that I was already planning on purchasing cost me a net of $155 or $2.42 per book.

Yes, it's an investment up front, but if you can afford to do so it's crazy not to.  I'll "put up" with sideloading the content for that kind of ROI.

Contributor
jsilvrs
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

I'll "put up" with sideloading the content for that kind of ROI.

I may look into it once I burn through my BN giftcards.   Sideloading is not the real issue for me.  I like the coverflow and would like to use that in my documents.  I guess I could always softroot it and use MY Book for coverflow.

Nothing beats the public library for ROI.  I'm hoping my local library will get overdrive soon.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

At least with the Nook there is the option of side-loading books from other vendors due to its use of the epub format.  If/when Amazon starts increasing prices you are going to be kind of stuck with it using the Kindle. 

Don't Panic
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Radecliffe wrote:

At least with the Nook there is the option of side-loading books from other vendors due to its use of the epub format.  If/when Amazon starts increasing prices you are going to be kind of stuck with it using the Kindle. 

Or you could do what other Kindle owners can do and access ebooks on all of the sites that use PDF, mobi, Doc, Txt, etc such as Fictionwise, Gutenberg and WPL. 

Inspired Contributor
Sunhawk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Alley415 wrote:

Or you could do what other Kindle owners can do and access ebooks on all of the sites that use PDF, mobi, Doc, Txt, etc such as Fictionwise, Gutenberg and WPL. 

The difference is that the Kindle can only use the other formats if there is no DRM.

The Nook can use virtually any ePub even if there is DRM. All you have to do is install the book through ADE.

Most commercial books still have DRM.

I had a Kindle. Besides the fugly control system, the closed platform is the main reason why I sold it.

Frequent Contributor
Radecliffe
0 Kudos

As I understand it you can only read Kindle format on a Kindle so I am assuming that you are speaking of some method of converting these format to Kindle?  If so, how is that better than being able to download these same books and just put them directly on the Nook? 

I realize that the Nook does not support all these formats but I've yet to visit an eBook vendor that (other than Amazon) does not offer ePub as one of its available formats. 

Don't Panic
Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Radecliffe wrote:

As I understand it you can only read Kindle format on a Kindle so I am assuming that you are speaking of some method of converting these format to Kindle?  If so, how is that better than being able to download these same books and just put them directly on the Nook? 

I realize that the Nook does not support all these formats but I've yet to visit an eBook vendor that (other than Amazon) does not offer ePub as one of its available formats. 

This is not true.  Kindle can read PDF, txt and mobi without conversion.  There may be more but these are the ones I have personally used.  Then, it can view a variety of other formats with conversion.  The reason it is better for some people (depending on preference) is the ability to download directly without sideloading.  For example, I can download ebooks directly from Fictionwise to my Kindle through 3G.  I have foudnd that I use PDF more now that I have horizontal viewing capabilities.

New User
clv100
0 Kudos

After 24 hours I did ditch the Nook! I wanted to love it but I hated it. I do not have a Kindle but I do have a number of eBook readers on my iPhone and they were much easier to read with than the Nook. The screen was so dark I kept on thinking there must be something wrong with the device. And slow! Unbearable! As soon as it booted up it started to download the 1.2 update and then installed with out a problem. If 1.2 was supposed to make things better, I cannot imagine what it must have been like before. The other issue was the lag when turning pages. Intolerable. I have a basement and den full of books and I really wanted a good eReader in order to cut back on all the clutter. The Nook is not it. I will keep on using the library or buying hard copies until something better comes along. I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with this device!

Frequent Contributor
Jeffell
0 Kudos

"I like the coverflow and would like to use that in my documents"

If you use Calibre, you can get the cover for any book. It doesn't have to come directly from amazon or B&N to have a cover. Calibre searches for the cover, and adds it to a book purchased from Fictionwise.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

clv100 wrote:
After 24 hours I did ditch the Nook! I wanted to love it but I hated it.

Ah, 24 hours. Gave it a thorough workout, did you?

clv100 wrote:
I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with this device!

You can't? I can think of two possible reasons right off the top of my head.

One, could be that you are just a whole lot smarter than other nook owners and can recognize the deficiencies where we cannot.

Or, two, you could be YAAT (yet another Amazon troll).

Anybody else care to help out poor clv1-post to ease his confusion?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

clv100 wrote:

After 24 hours I did ditch the Nook! I wanted to love it but I hated it. I do not have a Kindle but I do have a number of eBook readers on my iPhone and they were much easier to read with than the Nook. The screen was so dark I kept on thinking there must be something wrong with the device. And slow! Unbearable! As soon as it booted up it started to download the 1.2 update and then installed with out a problem. If 1.2 was supposed to make things better, I cannot imagine what it must have been like before. The other issue was the lag when turning pages. Intolerable. I have a basement and den full of books and I really wanted a good eReader in order to cut back on all the clutter. The Nook is not it. I will keep on using the library or buying hard copies until something better comes along. I just don't understand how anyone can be happy with this device!

Sounds like you got a bad one, I've not had any problems with mine under either software version...  Pages turn fast and I'm a fast reader.  I got mine for the same reason you did, all the books in stacks everywhere!

The screen on an e-ink reader doesn't ever light up, thank goodness!

New User
clv100
0 Kudos

Actually, I did give it a work out. And I had researched it extensively BEFORE I decided to buy it AND I have used other eReaders before AND maybe I did get a bad one BUT for me it was horrible. I use Stanza on the iPhone and it is fast and flexible. So please, this is my opinion and based on my experience and based on my experience I cannot imagine anyone enjoying this device.

Correspondent
Large_Marge
0 Kudos

clv100 wrote:

After 24 hours I did ditch the Nook! I wanted to love it but I hated it. I do not have a Kindle.  The screen was so dark I kept on thinking there must be something wrong with the device. And slow! Unbearable!

I realize the OP was advertising the Kindle and you don't have one, but heres a caution.  Stay away from the Kindle and every other eInk ereader.  They all have the "dark" screen.  (In reality, they require ambient light since they are not backlit -- by design.)  Also, they all have a turn-page delay that simulates turning the page in a real book.

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

clv100 wrote:

Actually, I did give it a work out. And I had researched it extensively BEFORE I decided to buy it AND I have used other eReaders before AND maybe I did get a bad one BUT for me it was horrible. I use Stanza on the iPhone and it is fast and flexible. So please, this is my opinion and based on my experience and based on my experience I cannot imagine anyone enjoying this device.

No problem, you are entitled to your opinion, didn't see anyone say otherwise BUT we are also so entitled, funny how that works out...

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

FrogAlum wrote:

clv100 wrote:

Sounds like you got a bad one, I've not had any problems with mine under either software version...  Pages turn fast and I'm a fast reader.  I got mine for the same reason you did, all the books in stacks everywhere!

The screen on an e-ink reader doesn't ever light up, thank goodness!

I have to agree with you here.  It sounds like a bad eink screen to me. 

Reader 2
Grizzly
0 Kudos

I like the fact that the Nook does allow shopping around at several ebookstores because of using ePub. But doesn't buying books from other stores mean you can't use the Nook features? I'm talking about things like notes, highlighting, searching, bookmarking? What about the dictionary, does it work with sideloaded ebooks? I've been studying the different ereaders and it can be difficult to really understand how things work in practice. So I guess my question is, if I buy an ebook from Sony or Fictionwise for a Nook, will all Nook features work with that ebook?

For the Kindle all the features work with all ebooks, no matter where you get them from. But you're limited to buying nonDRM ebooks from other stores besides Amazon. So no newer books from major pubs.

Kind of crappy to have to decide which to trade off, full use of the ereader or full shopping choice.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Grizzly wrote:

For the Kindle all the features work with all ebooks, no matter where you get them from. But you're limited to buying nonDRM ebooks from other stores besides Amazon. So no newer books from major pubs.

This is true that you are limited to non-DRM.  However, I have never had a problem finding newer books when doing price comparisons.  Fictionwise has a huge selection for Amazon.  Although, honestly, with Amazon being the leader in selection, it isn't really needed.  I think the whole argument on more sources is kind of mute when it comes to Kindle.  For many people, it simply isn't needed.  Amazon already carries everything they want.