New User
Tom_RTF
0 Kudos

Do Nook Editions contain the full text of the paper editions?

I just got my Nook and downloaded The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. My Nook shows the book has 426 pages, but I looked at the paperback edition and saw that it has about 640 pages. I know there will be differences in pagination between editions, but I don't see how the nook edition can be so much shorter when the paperback's pages contain more text than the Nook "pages".

Has the Nook edition been abridged?

Thanks for any info about this.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Re: Do Nook Editions contain the full text of the paper editions?

No, ebooks are not abridged.  Page formats are different, just as softcover, hardcover and trade paperback formats and page counts differ.

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Correspondent
ladymis
0 Kudos

Yes, eBooks contain the full text.  While page count varies depending on the format, I would think that the pagination of an eBook should be closer to that of the Hardcover version.

New User
Tom_RTF
0 Kudos

A commenter in another thread pointed out that it takes 2 or 3 page "turns" on the Nook to make the page number go up, so that explains the discrepancy. 

RFD
Contributor
RFD
0 Kudos

No, the fact that it takes more turns to make the page number go up makes it more problematic. It takes more Nook turns to read what would be on one page of a hard copy. Am I wrong? I'll have to get a hard copy and compare. This just doesn't make sense to me. I hope they're not abridged because if they are, I'm not going to be able to use the Nook.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

RFD wrote:

No, the fact that it takes more turns to make the page number go up makes it more problematic. It takes more Nook turns to read what would be on one page of a hard copy. Am I wrong? 

This isn't the way NOOK pages are determined.  (Below is copy/paste from the other thread where you asked about it.)

If the ebook is abridged it will say so.  I've not yet come across an abridged ebook.  If an ebook is abridged and doesn't say so you should report that to B&N Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK, Option 2 for digital support.

Page numbers in .pdbs mean nothing because the page numbers repopulate when you change fonts or font sizes.  So, in a .pdb the page number is equal to the number of screen changes.

Page numbers in .epubs mean even less because they are created by Adobe when the original file is converted to .epub.  Adobe takes into account original file size, line breaks and other information, but not actual page breaks when it determines page numbers for ebooks.  They rarely correlate to any other format, can't be compared to any other format and aren't even useful to determine proportionate length of other books.

Doug_Pardee has an excellent post explaining this, but I don't have it bookmarked.