Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
yangyang
0 Kudos

Do Not Update to Nook v.1.7 [BAD]

My Origianal Nook has a very big problem. It doesn't show the covers of eBooks. One of the reasons I bought the Nook was because of it's color touchscreen and the book cover preview feature. Now all the books show up as gray squares with the nook logo. All the covers show up like this, even in the shop. I have tried unregistering, restarting, and finally resetting to factory default settings and wiping everything. Still the problem persists. The only books that have covers are the ones downloaded before a certain date. Since many other people have this problem and the covers were showing before, I can conclude that it is not a hardware problem. Something Barnes & Noble did on a certain date caused the covers to not show anymore.

Here is my deduction on what happened.

Thinking back, I realized that the covers stopped showing after I updated to Version 1.7! BN does not give a list of what is new in v1.7. Why would a company roll out a "update" and not publicize all the great new things it does? It's because the update has something that would make the public very angry. I didn't notice any increase in page flipping speed or increased battery life but I did notice that nook book covers were not showing anymore! Why would BN roll out an update that gets rid of showing covers? It's all to increase profits. Transmitting images takes a huge amount of bandwidth. 3G costs BN lots and lots of money to transmit data wirelessly. So BN probably thought that no one would be wiser and decided to not transmit covers through 3G anymore.

How do I know this? Well, other people have reported that connecting through WiFi solved the problem of missing covers. WiFi doesn't cost BN a thing so they must be very happy to let customers just use that.

The release of the New Nook probably had something to do with this as well. The New Nook doesn't display things in color and is only WiFi. So far, only the Original Nook has 3G. BN is planning to not make anymore 3G devices and is retiring the Original Nook.
Bad things happen when coporate companies decide they're willing to do anything to maximize profits. It's usually at the sake of the customers.

Wordsmith
swan480
0 Kudos

Re: Do Not Update to Nook v.1.7 [BAD]

I suspect it's a database issue, not an update issue.  If it were an update issue, it wouldn't make sense that some covers download and others don't.  All of my new purchases' covers have downloaded just fine -- it's some of the older purchases that I'm just now downloading that don't seem to have covers.  I assumed they just aren't in the database anymore for some reason.

In any case, I bought my Nook to read on, not to look at the pretty covers.  I mean, really, the touch screen goes dim after a few seconds anyway, so it's not like the presence or absence of the cover really has that much of an impact on your reading experience!  Using this as a jumping-off point for a rant on corporate corruption is a bit melodramatic, don't you think?

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

I agree with swan480. I updated to 1.7 and all my covers show up.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I upgraded my N1E to version 1.7.0 a month ago and I have not experienced any major problems or changes.  I agree with both KingAl and swan480 it may a data base problem. 

If I were you, I'd go to your closest B&N store and consult with their customer service employees.  When I wanted my N1E upgraded to 1.7.0, they did it successfully for me.  I have not had any negative experiences.

Lector GS
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose
0 Kudos

Its not that kookie.  SOmetime around the updat my nook stopped showing the covers and the item descriptions. Anything I bougt after the update is fine.  The covers and description come in handy when shelving or trying to decide what to red next.

I do not know if it has anything to do with the update or not, but I know I am not alone. I have posted a couple of times on the tech board (and have see other posts) but have not gotten a response. Forntunately it does not hinder the reading experience, just requires more time to figure out what to read.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

I just checked my nook and sure enough covers were not being displayed except for 4-5 books out of ~200. It didn't matter if the book was downloaded before or after the 1.7 update.

I went through the folders and found a few of temp files in My B&N Library. These were apparently books that failed to download. I deleted those and that made no difference.

I had installed ADE on my PC and had authorized the nook for ADE but the program is no longer installed on my PC. I deleted the .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions folders figuring the device would need to be authorized again if I re-install ADE. After deleting those two folders I checked coverflow again and now all covers are displayed again.

To see what would happen, I reinstalled ADE, authorized the nook and turned it off. After powering the nook back up again the books are still displaying covers.

If you want to try this to see if it fixes covers for your nook;

1. Open ADE then connect your device to your PC.
    2. Highlight the nook icon in ADE.
    3. Press Ctrl-Shift-E to De-authorize the nook.
    4. Close ADE.
    5. Delete the folders .adobe-digital-editions and Digital Editions on your nook.
    6. Eject the nook.
    7. Open ADE, connect your nook to the PC and authorize your nook again.

* If you are currently reading a library or other book sideloaded via ADE I would wait until you have finished reading the book before attempting this.
* Books loaded with Nook for PC will have to be deleted and re-added after the operation. Nook for PC uses the ADE folders for sideloaded books.

Inspired Wordsmith
sirwillard

The assumption that B&N is stopping the download of covers to save money is what's kooky. News flash: the covers are embedded in the ePub file. Nothing in the update would have prevented the downloading of the covers without also preventing the downloading of the book, since they are in the same file. If this whacky conspiracy theory were true B&N wouldn't have needed to do a software update. All they would have to do is remove the cover from the ePub files and from that point on all downloads would be smaller by this very small amount (just checked one of mine and the cover is 86 kb before compression, hardly enough to matter).

Maybe the update has a bug that's causing the cover to not display, but I gaurantee you the cover is downloaded. Since B&N wouldn't have any reason to purposefully do this, you're barking up the wrong tree big time. Ya_Ya is right... you need to check to make sure that colander isn't on too tight.

Check out my books on Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/profile/wekempf
Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

I agree with swan480. I updated to 1.7 and all my covers show up.

Same here.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Even if they didn't show up due to 1.7, I personally don't think it rates a BAD subject.  BAD is when something breaks on the Nook and it doesn't work properly.  Example, 1.6 which broke the Nooks ability to read the SD card.  Cover art, yes, I realize it's important to some people, but it's not the end of the world if it doesn't show up.

I haven't upgraded yet but I don't even know if the cover art shows up on or not on mine, as I seldom use that feature.

Inspired Wordsmith
Colleen_Rose

Okay - I missed the part about BN trying to save money - that is a little kookey.

Colleen

Optimist: Someone who isn't sure whether life is a tragedy or a comedy but is tickled silly just to be in the play. ~Robert Brault
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Colleen_Rose wrote:

Okay - I missed the part about BN trying to save money - that is a little kookey.

Yeah, I missed that part also.  It only takes lots of bandwidth to download images if the images are really really big and if they were really really big, the files of the books would be really really big, and you'd run out of room on the Nook very very quickly.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

All but a few of my covers are showing including ones downloaded before and after the update. After turning on wifi and checking for new content the missing covers showed up. Covers show up just fine in the shop on my nook also. I think this has been a historic problem with the nook where the downloads timeout after a certain point.
Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

The lack of covers is frustrating for me.  It happens for a lot of books.  Right now, until B&N fixes it, I will not buy any books for the nook.  Lucky for me, I also have a kindle, so I'm over at Amazon buying books instead.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I have the same issue, but I have over 500 books. I am wondering if this isn't a memory problem. Maybe it needs more memory to display the images than it has available.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

deemure wrote:
I have the same issue, but I have over 500 books. I am wondering if this isn't a memory problem. Maybe it needs more memory to display the images than it has available.

Of those 500 how many are sideloaded?

If the answer is none, temporarily move the .adobe_digital_editions and Digital Editions folders from the nook to your computer, eject the nook and check your cover flow.  You may need to reboot the nook but I didn't and the covers displayed again.

If the covers still do not display, copy those folders back to your nook drive.

If the covers do display, follow the instructions I posted previously.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I never had ADE installed on my computer, and even after moving those folders, my covers wouldn't come up.  Most of the covers that won't show are for samples, that's okay, kindle samples are usually longer anyway.

I'm done with the nook.  B&N decided to go with a new model I absolutely hate and they're probably going to stop supporting the previous nook, trying to get people to either buy the new nook, or that hideous color thing.

I've deleted all the samples and will take my business elsewhere.

deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The books I am talking aabout are B&N downloads. I have sideloaded books as well, but I have close to 700 B&N books. It was once mentioned that the nook sort of hits a wall at a certain number of books and the library won't load and such. I do not know if that was ever addressed and if the lack of cover images has something to do with it. I do know sideloaded covers have always been an issue. Never noticed absent covers with B&N books because I don't use the cover display much.

I also have never installed ade on my computer. Those folders/files spoken of on the nook I think are the ones that were there when you got the nook There may be some files ade on the pc installs or adds, but I don't know, never used it.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have less than 100 books on my nook.  I have 600 archived, but I try to keep the nook with less than 75 to prevent taking too long scrolling to find books.

While adding samples to my kindle, I discovered that about 25% of the ebooks sell there for less than B&N.  One was $9.99 at B&N, it was $8.77 at Amazon.  Another was $13.20 at B&N, & $9.99 at Amazon.

Thanks B&N for the opportunity to save money.

deemure
0 Kudos

With all due respect, JustTrish, I don't see how that pertains to book covers. And I may read different books than you and find them cheaper at B&N or kobo or Sony or Bob's ebook sales, but that doesn't apply to the vast majority where the price is set by the publisher. Ereaders are about convenience. Prices are about what the market will bear, the cut of the pie all parties get and so on. Too many threads have been created on the subject to further debate it here.