Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JustTrish
0 Kudos

Re: Do Not Update to Nook v.1.7 [BAD]

Wasn't debating price.  I have two ereaders because they are used differently. Nook is for recreational reading, Kindle is for information/business reading.

The point I'm trying to make is that if I can't see the covers, and I have to rely on the name/listing to remember books, then I might as well only use ONE ereader.

The fact that I'm finding novels cheaper elsewhere is just a bonus.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I have had missing cover art issues since the update however I don't believe it's a great conspiracy, I am just grateful there is a simple fix by just connecting at WiFi hotspot.
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
yangyang
0 Kudos

It's good to know that BN isn't turning evil like Apple and Microsoft. Wait, Apple and Microsoft are already evil. It's Google that's starting to turn evil.

So the 1.7 update doesn't seem to be responsible for the problem. If only BN could clear this up by telling us exactly what v1.7 changed.

I've done more research on this topic and found that Version 1.7 is most likely a fix of the problems caused by Version 1.6.

v1.6 had a micro sd card problem. After I removed my sd card, I think I moved some files and maybe corrupted the internal memory. So it turns out Version 1.6 was the problem.

I hoping BN will roll out v1.8 or v2 sometime soon that will fix all those problems.

The cover feature is very important to me. I use it to go "window shopping," picking books based on their cover. I've stopped buying books because it's very inconvinient now.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

shadowcat80 wrote:
I have had missing cover art issues since the update however I don't believe it's a great conspiracy, I am just grateful there is a simple fix by just connecting at WiFi hotspot.
Connecting to wifi worked for me as well. All covers now showing up.
"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
NC_Writer_2B
0 Kudos

Actually, my N1E was still at version 1.5 when I noticed that all the new ebooks I purchased were without covers.  I thought the 1.7 update might fix it, but it did not.  I use 3G, and don't have a wi-fi hotspot available at home or work, so I hope it's not something to do with some 3G restriction implemented.  I paid extra for the 3G option (boy, did I pay extra!  I bought it before the price decrease)  Of course, that doesn't stop B&N from restricting certain book to Wi-Fi only load.  BTW - I wish they would warn this prior to purchase, because I don't have a wi-fi spot. 

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my Nook, and don't want the new versions because I don't want a backlit screen for reading, but one of the reasons I went with the Nook over the Kindle was because of the color touchscreen at the bottom, which allowed me to see the cover art, and quickly scroll to the book I wanted by looking for the cover art.  Why take away one of the BEST features???

I just want my cover art.  There has to be an easier way than re-registering.  And at this point, I'm not going to do that without assurances that I will get all the covers back, when I have only my 3G to load with.