Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
jslakey
0 Kudos

Does B&N hate early adopters? Or......

do they not want my money?  I'm wondering this because there has been a massive increase in magazines for the nook......color.  I would love to read the articles, I don't really care about the pictures.  I know about Calibre, I use calibre.  What I want to know is with 1.5 coming out by the end of the month will the folks who bought the nook get to read these new magazines too?  I have posted this on the magazine board but I thought I might get a faster response on the main board.

Frequent Contributor
Rockethead26

Re: Does B&N hate early adopters? Or......

My guess would be to wait a couple of days for 1.5 and find out at the same time as everyone else.

Do you really think B&N along with every product manufacturer hates everyone who buys their new products? In the pre-product launch meetings, do you think that the product managers discuss what options to leave out of their new product to piss off as many new buyers as possible? SOP, I'm sure.

Exercise a little patience.

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF

It's far more likely that it's an issue of medium.

It may be that magazine publishers only want their normally full-color products available only for full color devices. They may also not want to put resources into making B&W Copies of their magazines.

I don't know if advertisements appear in the e-zine version of the magazines either - if an advertiser pays for a full-color ad, there could be issues in making it B&W for a non-color device.

I seriously doubt this has anything to do with 'pissing off early adopters" and more to do with Publishers wanting to utilize the devices and mediums best suited to their particular product.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This makes the most sense.  Nook of course is not suited to viewing magazines as is and so providing magazines for it would require formatting that would be different from standard magazines and also different from the formatting for NOOKcolor.  I think that is why the magazine selection has so far been so limited.  If you read some reviews about the NOOKcolor you can see it is the first ereader that is working to provide a good magazine reading experience so BN has begun getting magazine publishers on board.  I can imagine that there was some reticence before on the part of BN and publishers alike because of the less than optimal experience that reading them on the nook classic is. 

They may now be in a better position to offer a scaled down version of magazines for the nook-more text heavy versions or some such.  Of course companies often have their own reasons for doing things that we as consumers don't always know about and I think that along with having a good rapport with customers, companies like BN must also have good rapport with publishers.  They are not going to come out and say that such and such is being rat nasty because they won't provide magazines formatted for the nook.  Keep in mind, BN offers the platform, publishers offer the formatted content.  BN can ask, can work to create contracts, but publishers must be convinced that sales will outweigh their costs for creating such content.  They may be unconvinced as to nook classic, but more certain of making money with the NOOKclassic.

Ads are a big deal as well as there are many articles that can lose emphasis if illustrations are removed or unreadable.  There are just many considerations I would think.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13

Gee....I don't know about you, but I've been reading PC Magazine on the nook 3G for almost a year now.    NO ADERTISEMENTS in the magazines that have been available so far.    I also tried reading my local newspaper on it (Denver Post) and it too...had no ads, just the stories and it's cheaper than home delivery.

I stopped that, only because I like sitting and reading while eating breakfast and my wife and I share the paper.    Flipping through an e_reader at morning breakfast just doesn't cut it for me and actually, seems a bit rude to me.   However, if I were a public transportation commuter, where I sat doing nothing on the bus or train....a newspaper on the nook would be a nice idea.

Again...the one's I have tried have NO advertisements in them.

---------
Don
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

donc13 wrote:

Gee....I don't know about you, but I've been reading PC Magazine on the nook 3G for almost a year now.    NO ADERTISEMENTS in the magazines that have been available so far.    I also tried reading my local newspaper on it (Denver Post) and it too...had no ads, just the stories and it's cheaper than home delivery.

I stopped that, only because I like sitting and reading while eating breakfast and my wife and I share the paper.    Flipping through an e_reader at morning breakfast just doesn't cut it for me and actually, seems a bit rude to me.   However, if I were a public transportation commuter, where I sat doing nothing on the bus or train....a newspaper on the nook would be a nice idea.

Again...the one's I have tried have NO advertisements in them.

Yes the NOOK (and kindle) have no advertisements in periodicals at this time.

This is actually a big problem for publishers since the cover price does not even begin to remotely cover the cost of producing the publication.

When I first started in the newspaper business I was told: "The subscription price covers the cost of printing and delivery, retail ads covered the cost of producing the content, and classified ads were the gravy (profit)".

Now that the internet has all but killed of classified advertising and cut deeply into retail ads, consumers are going to see a jump in the cost of their news content sooner rather than later.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

I believe ads will come or prices will go up a lot.  I once mentioned somewhat flippantly that at some point ads will be in out ebooks.  Well, guess what-they are.

Again it's the old "do you want fries with that" thing at work.  All sellers of products have things they sell to get you in the door and then have things that go with it that they earn money on. 

By the way, the magazines I have seen in reviews of the NOOKcolor do have ads.  In fact in one there were a few pages of ads the person displaying the NC was going through.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Contributor
withfeeling

Two points:

First, we are all early adopters in this market. There is no mature market for eReader, tablets, etc. Assume anything you buy will be obsolescent in 6 months or a year at most. That's the good and bad part of this kind of rising technology curve.

Second, the magazines are trying to figure out how to make money electronically. Why have a copy of a paper magazine when the whole web is "out there"? Lots of web content is magazine-like. Lots of the content of paper magazines is available for free on the web. This will take years, maybe decades, to shake out. Meanwhile, there are apps like Calibre, that will package a whole website and create an ePub document you can read offline, at your leasure, on your Nook. Try it.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

IT costs VERY little to provide the text to an ePublisher.   It actually costs more to put up a web version than an ePub version.    No paper to print, no distribution system to worry about, no pickups of unsold papers from street vendors or boxes. 

Now, that IS because the stories are already being written for the print version.    Were the papers to fold, and someone wanted to come up with a electronic version only....then darn right, they'd be losing money on epublishing.   

In addition, without being able to "localize" who lives where, it's not much value to tell a potential advertiser that you have 1 million readers, but have no idea where they live.    No local advertiser would touch that.   Even regional advertisers would be wary.

And, I think that most people would shy away from content with ads.   

NOW, if the ads were like a chapter, all bunched together and I could skip them, then I wouldn't care if they were added or not.    Kind of like the Sunday ad packs and magzines, I read them, but can also ignore them by just not opening them.

---------
Don
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

donc13 wrote:

IT costs VERY little to provide the text to an ePublisher.   It actually costs more to put up a web version than an ePub version.    No paper to print, no distribution system to worry about, no pickups of unsold papers from street vendors or boxes. 

Now, that IS because the stories are already being written for the print version.    Were the papers to fold, and someone wanted to come up with a electronic version only....then darn right, they'd be losing money on epublishing.   

In addition, without being able to "localize" who lives where, it's not much value to tell a potential advertiser that you have 1 million readers, but have no idea where they live.    No local advertiser would touch that.   Even regional advertisers would be wary.

And, I think that most people would shy away from content with ads.   

NOW, if the ads were like a chapter, all bunched together and I could skip them, then I wouldn't care if they were added or not.    Kind of like the Sunday ad packs and magzines, I read them, but can also ignore them by just not opening them.

No offense to you intended donc13, however I am amazed how little my time and expertise is valued, and how often people just "know" how much it costs to do things.

As mentioned above I work for the IT department of a major metropolitan daily newspaper (in the top 15 dailies in the country).

My group happens to be responsible for producing the kindle, ipad, epub version of our paper.

You would be amazed how much work is required to convert from our proprietary editorial system to an epub document with all the links for images and story jumps resolved.

Inspired Contributor
withfeeling
0 Kudos

There are also many legal issues with regard to electronic rights, royalties, etc. It would be nice if the entire cost of publication was borne by the hardcopy and the electronic rights could just be incrementally "free" on top of that, but that's not the way the world works. This struggle has been going on with many types of media over the past decades. Don't expect it to be completely resolved soon.