Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
FavRami
0 Kudos

Don't buy your Nook from Best Buy - BN will not back up their warranty!!

So after the latest update, I go to use my Nook to find the e-ink screen a scrambled mess.  Black lines running across the whole thing making it completely unreadable. Worse, it won't go away.

I tried everything posted here to revive a frozen screen with no luck before I called with support line to be told that because I purchased my Nook from Best Buy, BN cannot help me and I must go to Best Buy for a resolution. 

WTF??

I asked to speak to a supervisor because the answer just did not feel right to me.  I spoke to a Robert (supposedly in management) who refused to give me his last name or the name of any other manager who only offered me the same solution, "if you take it to Best Buy and tell them you bought it within 30 days they will exchange it for you."

WOW.  Really? 

How is this standing by their product? 

They did not take any information from me except the serial number from my Nook.  They did not offer to troubleshoot the Nook or even offer to repair it.  Nopes.  Just "take it to Best Buy, they can help you."

I can't express how angry I am at the moment.  Worse off, how ripped off I feel.  There are about a dozen e-books purchased for this thing and now I feel that unless I go through the complete run-around that Best Buy will undoubtedly put me through I will not get to ever enjoy them. 

If the signage at Best Buy (presumably given to the retailer by BN) had said anything along the lines of my warranty would now be owned by them instead of BN, I would have simply waited until the unit was in stock and bought from the bookstore.  NOBODY told me anything of the such, so now close to $500 in Nook related purchases later, I truly feel ripped off.  I really hope someone contacts me and offers me a responsible resolution.

Scribe
luvbooksCM

Re: Don't buy your Nook from Best Buy - BN will not back up their warranty!!

I'm sorry your screen got messed up on your nook.

It sounds like you bought it within the Best Buy 30 day return window so I doubt they will give you any problems in exchanging it. I've read on this site where other people have had very good service from Best Buy on defective nooks and they've exchanged it without a problem.

No doubt, B&N will honor their warranty once the 30day return period from Best Buy has expired. That's probably Best Buy's normal return procedure for most items in their stores.

The alternative would be to mail your nook back to B&N and wait for it to be repaired or replace. That could take a couple weeks, whereas exchanging it at Best Buy would be the quickest solution.

I wouldn't get too upset just yet. Bring your receipt & defective nook to Best Buy and see how they respond. If they don't exchange it, THEN I would be upset and call B&N back to tell them Best Buy won't exchange it. Better yet, if Best Buy won't exchange it, have Best Buy call B&N C.S. while you are still in the store to get it resolved.

Hope those suggestions work for you.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

Okay, Best Buy when they sell anything they become ownership of it.  Same with Cell Phones.  You cannot bring it to the carrier within days of purchase, you have to go back to Best Buy.  It is the agreement Best Buy has to sell and no Best Buy does not tell you that because they DO back up the product just as good/better!  In all honesty if you buy from them they assume if problem you would go back to them. 

If you go to Best Buy they will exchange it out for new.  They actually have a better exchange time frame and attitude!  Which is why I bought my cell phones from them.  However, wish I knew they did have the Nook because again I like the service at Best Buy.  I even like their protection plans better! 

I bought Nook at BN store because I never saw it at Best Buy.   Saw them other day but they are further from the sony ereaders (at my store) which is why I probably missed it. 

Here is the thing my first Nook had a funny small bump on the side of the screen.  So I brought it back to exchange.  B&N person kinda gave me a hard time about.  Instead of no questions asked they were like, that is nothing.  Yes even said that!  If you really want to exchange we can (but didn't really want to!).  They even mentioned I bought the warranty that if there is an issue later from the bump it will be covered!  Again I said exchange!  I don't want to use my warranty on defect I can see now.  IF it was Best Buy they would've been like no problem!

You are in good hands with Best Buy.  I agree B&N service could be better. 

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

Exchanging is a problem?

I don't understand the problem. Your NOOK is obviously defective, and Best Buy will exchange it for you on-the-spot. No delays, no muss, no fuss.

Most people get ticked off when they're told that they can't exchange something and have to go through the manufacturer's warranty service process. Exchanging is so much faster and easier.

Frequent Contributor
Alley415
0 Kudos

Re: Exchanging is a problem?

IMO, I would be happy I could return through Best Buy. If you return through B&N, they can send you a refurbished one whereas Best Buy woudl only have new ones in stock to replace it with.

New User
FavRami
0 Kudos

Well it sounds like most of you have had pleasant experiences in Best Buys in the past.  Maybe its a regional thing, but in Miami, FL I have had nothing but headaches from them. 

I should clarify because I did not add this the first time I posted.  I can't find my receipt. I told this to the BN rep and later to his "supervisor" Robert.

Secondly, it's been over 30 days.  I also told this to BN when I called.  

So I did as asked.  I packed up the Nook and went to my closest Best Buy and waited at the door until 10 for them to open.  The first thing I was asked for was my receipt.  The girl at the counter was nice and offered to look it up for me but when I gave her my card she gave me a sad face and said that Debit cards work like cash in their system and cannot be used to look up transactions.  Nice.

She referred me over to their Geek Squad counter where I waited for the young man there to finish with a customer, then he kindly told me I was better off calling BN for an exchange.

I understand that had I held on to my receipt I probably wouldn't be in this mess right now, but at the same time, had I known BN would not honor their own branded product, I probably would have done a better job of keeping the receipt in a safe place (or not bought it at Best Buy at all.)

What kills me even more is that the Nook was working beautifully until BN pushed their latest "update" into it.  So BN kills my reader and now it's shame on me for not saving my receipt? 

Right now, I have a very expensive paper weight sitting on my desk.  Not a happy BN customer at all. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

@ FavRami,

Your first post was a bit misleading in that it seemed that you were within 30 days of purchase.  I'd try calling B&N again and if you have no success, request to speak with a manager who is willing to provide his/her name. 

Can you make a print-out of your account, showing the purchase at Best Buy to help with date and amount of purchase?  Maybe there's enough information on there to persist with a manager at Best Buy.

Hard lesson - hang on to those receipts and/or make purchases with a credit card rather than a debit card.  You have more recourse with a credit card purchase.

Hopefully one of the admins here will reply - there's gotta be a way for this to be resolved.

Frequent Contributor
MDandy
0 Kudos

I use my best buy reward card all the time and they can track purchases that way.  If you register the card it is hooked up to phone number to look it up.  IF you know date and time of transaction through debit card I do believe they can look it up for you.  You just need to go in equiped with more info seeing they can't quick search debit. 

If you are past 30 days BN should help you out.  Maybe they thought it was a recent purchase.  After the 30 day you are under the warranty.

Good Luck!

Correspondent
Heritage07
0 Kudos

Just curious if you touch screen still works, If so have you tried to reset to factory settings? Also try side loading the update it sounds like it got corrupted during the install.

Contributor
vlee
0 Kudos

I called BN about a cracked button on my Nook and they had me go to Best Buy for an exchange.  When I went to Best Buy, they gave me a hard time about the exchange because I was 2 days out of the 30 day exchange window.  Best Buy did eventually give me a new one after talking to 3 people, but they said that it was a special exchange and wouldn't normally do this.  I'm not really sure how the warranty works when you buy from Best Buy.  BN wouldn't send me a new one because I bought from Best Buy and Best Buy said that cracked buttons aren't their problem because it's cosmetic.  I'm just hoping nothing happens to my Nook again in the future because I don't really want to deal with the hassle again.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

FavRami wrote:

Well it sounds like most of you have had pleasant experiences in Best Buys in the past.  Maybe its a regional thing, but in Miami, FL I have had nothing but headaches from them. 

My question would be, if you have had nothing but headaches with Best Buy, why would you buy it a Best Buy to begin with?  Me personally, if I have had trouble in the past with a company, I think long and hard about buying anything fairly expensive from that company.  

And not having the receipt adds another layer to the problem, which you already stated.  

If I buy an iPod at Costco, I go back to Costco if there is a problem within the return period, not Apple.  That's pretty normal business practice.

Reader
Brinakoch
0 Kudos

first off, i have learned from working for a major company to never buy anything 3rd party. You are best going through the direct manufactor. also if you used a best buy rewards card at the time of your purchase of the nook, they can search using that. i have done that with my Ipod through their warranty at best buy and they were able to find the purchase through my phone number and my rewards account. Other than that. when calling customer care for any company always be persistant asking for manager keep on them and stand your ground. This doesn't sound right and i believe there is something fishing.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Even though this thread is a year old the issue can still be a valid one for some, so...

If you buy a NOOK from Best Buy and something goes wrong with it within Best Buy's return period (30 days) you will have to take it back to Best Buy.  If something happens to it after Best Buy's return period is up you will have to call B&N tech support at 1-800-THE-BOOK, option 2.  You will be able to take it into a store to ask questions at any time, but no one in the store can help you with a return/exchange. 

At least, that's how I understand it.

Contributor
that22
0 Kudos

this happened to me you have to call thier 1800 number and have them find it i paid cash and they said they couldnt help but the 1800 number got me pulled up and sent info to my local phila pa store