Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Sam_Hearne
0 Kudos

Don't expect NookBooks to be supported after a bankruptcy

If B&N goes bankrupt, chances are you'll no longer have access to NookBooks stored on B&N's servers. So if something happens to the copies stored on your device, you can say goodbye to those books forever. Why do I say this? I had an Ebook libary with Borders. After B&N purchased Borders' customer list and other intellectual property, I had no more internet access to my Ebook library. Borders servers were shut down. B&N tells me that they don't support the Borders ebook libraries; they suggest that I try to get access to my ebook library through Kobo (who provided the Web backbone for Borders ebooks all along). But Kobo was stopped from migrating Borders' customers ebook libraries on September 27 (when B&N purchased Borders' intellectual property in a bankruptcy sale)! Yes, this a classic Catch 22. But the bottom line is that in the event of a bankruptcy, you can lose access to your ebook library just like I did. Before you buy any more ebooks, check the vendor's financial statements!

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Re: Don't expect NookBooks to be supported after a bankruptcy

Sam_Hearne wrote:

If B&N goes bankrupt, chances are you'll no longer have access to NookBooks stored on B&N's servers. So if something happens to the copies stored on your device, you can say goodbye to those books forever. Why do I say this? I had an Ebook libary with Borders. After B&N purchased Borders' customer list and other intellectual property, I had no more internet access to my Ebook library. Borders servers were shut down. B&N tells me that they don't support the Borders ebook libraries; they suggest that I try to get access to my ebook library through Kobo (who provided the Web backbone for Borders ebooks all along). But Kobo was stopped from migrating Borders' customers ebook libraries on September 27 (when B&N purchased Borders' intellectual property in a bankruptcy sale)! Yes, this a classic Catch 22. But the bottom line is that in the event of a bankruptcy, you can lose access to your ebook library just like I did. Before you buy any more ebooks, check the vendor's financial statements!

Always backup your books. Never trust a website with the only copy of your files.

If the bookstore loses its contract with a publisher, your books will be gone. If the publisher loses its contract with an author, those books will probably be removed from the store.

People lost books at Fictionwise when a contract with one of its suppliers was cancelled, and when the agency model was introduced. Soon the Mobipocket store will be gone.

Correspondent
Byteguy

Kobo and Borders both spammed the heck out of me for WEEKS telling me to move my books to Kobo and warning me that I would lose access if I didn't.

It took me less than 5 minutes to do it.

The lessons here are:

1) Always have backups (Amazon cloud-storage is SCAREY)

2) Always have a current email on file with companies that have something you want from them

3) When you hear a company is in trouble, think about what that means to you.  Don't wait until AFTER.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

Byteguy wrote:

Kobo and Borders both spammed the heck out of me for WEEKS telling me to move my books to Kobo and warning me that I would lose access if I didn't.

It took me less than 5 minutes to do it.

The lessons here are:

1) Always have backups (Amazon cloud-storage is SCAREY)

2) Always have a current email on file with companies that have something you want from them

3) When you hear a company is in trouble, think about what that means to you.  Don't wait until AFTER.

Kobo and Borders both spam'd me as well, and I didn't even have any Borders eBooks (just a Borders account).

So while I have sympathy for customers who lost their library, it is a limited sympathy.

Also, B&N did not buy Borders eBook library, just the customer mailing list.

B&N does not have the ability or the responsibility (moral or legal) to replace your lost eBooks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

1. B&N hasn't declared bankruptcy.

2. Never let someone else be in charge of what you own.  If you do, and they "lose" it or "take it away," that's your fault, not theirs.

3. Don't wait for someone to send you an email telling you what will happen with your stuff.  Be proactive.

4. If you don't bother with #2 and #3, IMO you don't care enough about keeping your stuff to have earned the right to complain when it's gone.

RHWright

keriflur wrote: [emphasis]

1. B&N hasn't declared bankruptcy.

To reiterate, B&N hasn't declared bankruptcy, nor are their any reasonable indications that they are likely to do so in the near term.

Sorry, but it just gets under my skin that when B&N does something to raise someone's ire (whether that ire is justified or not) that people feel the need to feed the old "if they keep doing this, they'll end up like Borders" mill.

And, I might point out, there is a difference between bankruptcy and liquidation.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518

I have always kept backups of my B&N library.  The easiest way since I do have a PC is to get the B&N Nook App for PC and sync it.  All your books are automagically downloaded to your PC.  Then you can always back up from there as well.

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I have always kept backups of my B&N library.  The easiest way since I do have a PC is to get the B&N Nook App for PC and sync it.  All your books are automagically downloaded to your PC.  Then you can always back up from there as well.

It's kind of funny (to me anyway), but I use my N1E as a backup device.  I download books first to my N2E.  Then I download them to my N1E, which is only connected to wifi/3g while I'm doing the download.  So if something happened to my account, and I didn't know not to connect my N2E to wifi, and I connected and my library was wiped on my N2E, I still have my N1E with all my books on it.

I also periodically plug in my N1E into my computer and since I can access the download folder on the device, I copy it to my PC.  Then I backup that folder to my sugarsync and idrive accounts, so I eventually end up with 5 copies of each file.  Yes, I know this is excessive, but I've lost important files before, so I don't take any chances.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I'm a fairly new Nook owner.  This is good info, as I was curious about keeping backups of my books and magazines on my laptop hard drive and CD backups.  Thanks.

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

The solution is to always, always break DRM as soon as possible. All my B&N books save my most recent purchase has been cracked and added to my Calibre library, even though I use the official B&N books on my actual device.

RHWright
0 Kudos

LastSilmaril wrote:

The solution is to always, always break DRM as soon as possible.

For those who don't mind casually breaking the law, sure.

Not that I think it's a good law. But if you're going to engage in and encourage others to engage in civil disobedience, I don't think your watch-cry should be, "just do it!"

Distinguished Correspondent
GetLostInABook
0 Kudos

All my books purchased from Baen (90% of my library) are DRM free!  My library has followed me from Palm, to Microsoft Reader, back to another Palm and now to Nook.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

LastSilmaril wrote:

The solution is to always, always break DRM as soon as possible. All my B&N books save my most recent purchase has been cracked and added to my Calibre library, even though I use the official B&N books on my actual device.

And the easiest and best way to do this is...........???? I figure I BOUGHT my books. I should be able to do whatever I want to do with them. And, unless I am wrong, even if I back them up to a thumb drive or some other external media, the only way to open them is with B&N software. So, what happens if eventually, there IS no working B&N software? .............not that I actually think that will ever happen! (I'm just speculaing here.)

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

[ Edited ]

Not that I disagree with the concept that if you bought the book you should be able to do what you want with it (other than distributing multiple copies), but the publishers don't. If you read the fine print you will find that you haven't really bought the book, but have acquired a license to use it under the DRM laws, which forbid the removal of DRM protection. I suspect over time EPUB books will follow the course of what has happened in the music industry. Publishers will realize that the most profitable thing to do is reduce the price to where most people are willing to pay for a book and remove copy protection. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

BeachCatFan wrote:

LastSilmaril wrote:

And the easiest and best way to do this is...........???? I figure I BOUGHT my books. I should be able to do whatever I want to do with them. And, unless I am wrong, even if I back them up to a thumb drive or some other external media, the only way to open them is with B&N software. So, what happens if eventually, there IS no working B&N software? .............not that I actually think that will ever happen! (I'm just speculaing here.)

Google is your friend. Unfortunately, it is illegal to crack DRM even for personal use (though you I agree that you should be able to do so.)  Once you crack the DRM, you can read it on any device that supports ePubs -- you won't need B&N at all.

New User
GordianCaesar
0 Kudos

I too view that as a necessary action. I do ALL of my book reading on an iPad-Mini now. My N1E solely as a backup device since I was on the verge of buying a Nook Glowlight until I started reading the reviews, especially the "light tear hole" problem and the CS problems. That did it, Apple for me.

Just hope B&N stays in business long enough for me to get my pre-orders.