Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

Don't like / don't want Nook

I got the Nook as an unexpected unwanted gift for Christmas. After the initial disappointment, I came to terms with it somewhat. I went to the B&N website and as we all know, it was almost non-functional during the evening of Christmas day. (SOMEBODY should have anticipated this, but that's another deal altogether).

I do not want to read the old classics that have been put on my Nook. I have ordered a free book from the Nook and it went to neverland, and doesn't show up in my library. I tried again and it says I already have it..

My questions about this device and its functionality are not covered fully enough by B&N fold out get me started pamphlet.

I am looking for suggestions how I could master this device.

I am sure it has more to love but I am just not there yet.

- downloading ebooks from other sites on the public domain

Should I go to the local store (in spite of weather and traffic..dread) and try to meet users there before I attempt to return this hunk of junk?

Currently reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Inspired Wordsmith
Theriot_Publishing

Re: Don't like / don't want Nook

Wow.  Such hate.

However, the acronym, RTFM comes to mind.

I think you should immediately return the nook.  Your kind will never be happy with it even though you have no idea what it can do.

Behold the Glory and Grace of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Let His noodly appendage touch you. Swallow the sauce for it is the blood of innocent tomatoes. So sayeth the FSM. Pasta for Peace!
Frequent Contributor
Jflin
0 Kudos

First suggestion most appropriate

Especially if the weather isn't good, try calling for support first.

In this particular case, if you have gotten an eBook on your computer, may want to give some thought as to how your Nook might know about it (Hint:  It doesn't, until...)

e.g. (For those too impatient to figure it out):  Wait overnight, till the overnight synch takes place.  Or use the "Check for New Content" option from the library.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

I got the Nook as an unexpected unwanted gift for Christmas. After the initial disappointment, I came to terms with it somewhat. I went to the B&N website and as we all know, it was almost non-functional during the evening of Christmas day. (SOMEBODY should have anticipated this, but that's another deal altogether).

I do not want to read the old classics that have been put on my Nook. I have ordered a free book from the Nook and it went to neverland, and doesn't show up in my library. I tried again and it says I already have it..

My questions about this device and its functionality are not covered fully enough by B&N fold out get me started pamphlet.

Should I go to the local store (in spite of weather and traffic..dread) and try to meet users there before I attempt to return this hunk of junk?

Based on your first sentence, I believe you've answered your own question about whether you should return that "hunk of junk."

But if you want to check it out a bit further before you condemn it -

You found this website - it has a wealth of information from other owners that will help you out.

If you select "nook" at the top of the page, you will be able to locate the user guide.

You could go to B&N and have them assist you in getting the nook registered and up and running, including setting up a B&N account if you don't already have one. (I find them to be very helpful)  

Obviously, you enjoy reading, or "Santa" wouldn't have given you the nook.  But if you don't want to give it a chance, there's no sense in frustrating and annoying yourself any further.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

In order to make use of the Nook, or any electronic device, you need PATIENCE.  You also have to do some self-educating.  Reading the manual would be a good start.

If you don't have the patience to learn how to use the Nook, by all means return it and buy some hardcovers and paperbacks - ereaders are not for you.

Wordsmith
gandalf1369
0 Kudos

@AGBR,

Return your preceived "hunk of junk" to the B&N store (so perhaps someone else can enjoy and appreciate the nook at a lower price after it is refurbished), curse the giver of the gift for giving you something that is too complicated for you to use, and go buy yourself a paper printed primer to sharpen your reading skills after which you may learn to RTFM.

Merry Christmas . ..

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

Are you looking in the right library on your Nook for the ebook? I gave my daughter a 3G Nook for Xmas and she kept looking in her documents for her books and trying to sideload everything. I told her to look in her B&N library on her Nook and sure enough, there it is. You only have to sideload books you don't buy from B&N. Nook will download ebooks directly from B&N.

Is your Nook wifi only? if so, you need to hook up to your home wifi if you have it first. Did you register? Did you set up an account?

As far as mastering the device. Do a search of the these boards on the topics you have questions about and that will help a lot. The people here are more knowledgable and helpful than you'll find anywhere else.

There is also an online user guide that I found more helpful than trying to get to the one on the Nook. (When these don't answer your questions, come back to us and ask away)

User Guide for the Nook:

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/pimages/nook/download/User_Guide_NOOK_v1_5.pdf

User Guide for the NookColor:

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/nook/encore/support/pdf/User_Guide_NOOKcolor.pdf

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

I got the Nook as an unexpected unwanted gift for Christmas. After the initial disappointment, I came to terms with it somewhat.

I think this part of your post is the most important.

You didn't want a NOOK and you have "come to terms."  I think you should return it and get something you actually *want*.  While the returning might hurt the giver a little (a NOOK is a generous gift) I'm certain that someone thoughtful enough to give a NOOK would want you to enjoy your gift, not just tolerate it.

I hope you enjoy whatever you choose.  Merry Christmas.

Inspired Correspondent
TrevorS
0 Kudos

Question 1:

Do you like to read? Seriously. If you read at least a book a month, then it's worth trying to get accustomed to the Nook. If you don't really read, why bother?

Question 2:

Are there specific books you are interested in reading? Just browsing and downloading a free book because it's free, not because you are interested in reading it isn't really a recipe for success. You're probably not going to get into it much.

If the answers to both questions are yes, and you have specific questions about how to obtain or consume your desired books on the Nook, I'd be happy to give you some tips.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

I know our B&N stores locally have already started their "learning the nook" classes. 

LisaB

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB

gandalf1369 wrote:

@AGBR,

Return your preceived "hunk of junk" to the B&N store (so perhaps someone else can enjoy and appreciate the nook at a lower price after it is refurbished),

Merry Christmas . ..

It occurs to me the coming months might be a GOOD time for those who have to have their nook replaced and receive a refurb. Brand new units, returned by frustrated users who didn't figure them out!

LIsaB

Distinguished Correspondent
PBReilley
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

Return it. You didn't want it, it was a big disappointment to get it, and despite the fact that you don't know how to use it, you claim it's nothing but a "hunk of junk".

You will never be happy with it and at the slightest bump in the road (hitting the wrong letter on the keyboard, say), you'll be back here ranting about the POS you got for Christmas. Do yourself and us a favor and return it ASAP.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

READ the User Manual, not the quick start guide.    THe User manual has a TON of additional information in it.

It's on your NC and also here at this location:

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/nook/encore/support/pdf/User_Guide_NOOKcolor.pdf

---------
Don
Contributor
Omegamu
0 Kudos

If you don't want it, return it and get something that you do want.

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

I have RTFM. I have registered it and all.

I stil have questions and want to love my Nook.

Thank you for your responses.

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

My kind? gee thanks

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

I am so sorry to insult you so. Don't worry there will be no more posts here whether I keep it or not.

New User
EricM24
0 Kudos

I too got a NOOK for Christmas, which was very, very, very unexpected considering all the time I spent bagging on ereaders compared to traditional books (i.e. books don't need batteries, I can drive over a book with my car, etc).  Well let me say I was very much wrong and mistaken.  I love my NOOKColor!!!! 

One problem i did have with my NOOK involved not being able to download books purchased on the B&N website to the NOOK.  I tried everything under the Sun to get the books to show up on the NOOK.  Finally after a call to customer support I unregistered the NOOK then reregistered the NOOK and...BAM!!...there were the missing books.  I also discovered a couple of other features that I don't believe were working before the unregister/reregister exercise.  So, it seems that some problems that are being had with the NOOK could possibly be fixed by unregistering then reregistering the unit.  Oh, by the way, once the unit is reregistered all previous purchases are once again downloaded to the NOOK so nothing is lost.  Isn't technology wonderful???

Wordsmith
jeanniepep

I too got an unwanted gift for Christmas. My aunt got me a plastic bucket for putting your wine bottle in so you can leave it out and the wine doesn't sweat all over your coffeetable (as if I would EVER leave wine in the bottle for that long when it belongs right here in my belly).

If this sounds like something you'd enjoy, please send me your unwanted Nook and I will gladly trade for the wine thingee. I'll even send it priority shipping!

Inspired Wordsmith
BrandieC

@EricM24:

Wait - you want to be able to run over a book in your car?  Why would you want to do that?

But, if that ability is really important to you, if you purchase an extended warranty for your NOOK, which covers accidental damage, you can even run over your NOOK in your car!  :smileyvery-happy: