Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
BooperFH
0 Kudos

Re: Don't like / don't want Nook

Keep it. Learn to use it, you will not regret it.

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

Thanks.
Currently reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

If you want to love it, you'll find this board to have a lot of experts who can help you to learn to use it and to love it.

I'm about to go to Target to pick up a prescription, buy some OTC cold meds for my poor sick husband (because you know, when a man gets a cold it's the.end.of.the.world), a K-cup thingie for our brand new Christmas present Keurig, and go to Chick-fil-A.  I've heard a rumor that it's customer appreciation day; buy lunch today and at any point in the future if you show today's receipt you'll get whatever you bought today free.  I just put it in its Hutton sleeve and tucked it into my purse.

I won't even hit up a fast food restaurant without it now.  I love my NOOK.

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

Thanks.

My mother, on fixed income, drove to her nearest B&N, which is out of STATE for her to buy it for me. AFTER she asked me if I wanted one, and I said..no, not really. I had already been offered a Kindle, and did not accept that offer, either.

So, after being unable to use the website initally, getting it registered, and it not being an instant device, a few .. well more than a few tears, I have told her I love it and I will keep it.

I do like to read, randomly. I am not one of those readers who rush out and buy the latest and greatest books. I pick something that looks interesting to me. I swap and borrow with friends. I shop used book stores. So this is all new, and not working as designed, even if the design is in my mind, is frustrating. I expected simple.

Other posters were right. I am ungrateful for a generous gift. Thnk I will cry some more now.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AGBR wrote:

Other posters were right. I am ungrateful for a generous gift. Thnk I will cry some more now.

You were not ungrateful, just frustrated.  We all get frustrated.

If you don't NEED the newest and best and current bestsellers you have the absolute right ereader.  Your mother did a good job, even if neither of you knew it.  Once you're a little more comfortable with it you'll be able to download and read LIBRARY BOOKS!  (That K word can't do that.  :smileywink: )

This is by far my very favorite NOOK feature.  And we will absolutely help you make it work.

[EDIT]  One other thought:  Call your nearest B&N and find out when their next NOOK Night is.  I'm sure at least part of it will focus on NOOKColor, but I'm sure that will help you get a handle on the features and the NOOK guru at the store can help you with any issues you're having as well as contact CS for you if there is something else going on.

With that, I really need to go pick up the Mucinex and Delsym before the poor.sick.husband.whose.cold.means.the.world.is.ending dies.  :smileywink:  Luckily, the Target with my prescription, where I plan to buy these things is next to Chick-fil-A and a B&N.  Maybe I'll go get a free smoothie.  

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

And we ALL know when the hubby is sick, he is sicker than we have EVER been! hahaha 

Thank you again

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@AGBR

You may also find some of the videos on the Nook support page helpful. They walk you through organizing your library, changing text sizes, doing searches, etc.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

@AGBR

It is instant and if yours is not I would definitely  find out what is wrong. Esp. while you can still exchange it at the store.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

Contributor
AGBR
0 Kudos

UPDATE::

I have found and corrected 2 major problems:

1st : usb port on laptop not working consistently

-changed usb ports,

2nd; Bombs& Cherynoble could not securely confirm my debit card account

- changed to a credit card

initial problem:

Nothing would download..

Nook Now No More Junk.

YEAH! No more tears!

Thank you to kind folks with encouraging words.

AGBR

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

OMG.  You just made me literally laugh out loud.  :smileytongue:   I'm so very glad that you've got it all working and I know you'll love your NOOK as much as the rest of us love ours!

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

-changed usb ports,

initial problem:

Nothing would download..

Nook Now No More Junk.

YEAH! No more tears!

AGBR

Enjoy!

LisaB

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

AGBR wrote:

-changed usb ports,

initial problem:

Nothing would download..

Nook Now No More Junk.

YEAH! No more tears!

AGBR

I'm glad you were able to get your nook up and running.  

Enjoy!

Distinguished Correspondent
GeneHunter

Now, get off the computer and read a book.  :smileyvery-happy: Much better for your mental health

Contributor
Tahniask
0 Kudos

Nook HD a loser

The Nook HD is the third Nook I have had.  The original one had some design problems, but the Tablet was great.  I thought the HD would be even better, but, boy, was I wrong.  Sure, it's got a bigger screen and isn't very heavy, but the software is really bad.  My tablet showed all my emails under any category, but the HD won't show anything that was received before the purchase date (Jan. 2013).  When using the keyboard and putting in punctuation, the dropdown list does not work at all -- never has.  And then yesterday they switched my Nook to Google Chrome as a browser.  I've tried it before on my computers and it never works properly.  On the Tablet, you could go to any page (such as in Wikipedia), enlarge the print, then double tap the page to fit the screen, keeping the enlarged print.  Now you can enlarge where the text goes off the page, but when you double tap, it goes back to the original (tiny) size print.  I'm really dissappointed and may go to Kindle or IPad instead.  Plus, Barnes & Noble really rips off it's Nook customers.   The HD wouldn't respond to selecting by tapping with my finger, so I had to spend $20 for a little plastic stick with a rubber point.  And the covers are outrageously expensive!  Don't even bother with the 360 stand cover.  It's $50, is just basically cardboard (easily bendable) inside and if jostled at all simply falls down.  Plus you cannot get a BN membership card discount on any Nook products.  I'm really disillusioned.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Nook HD a loser

Unless you left all your mail on your ISP server, there is no mail from before the purchase date to be retrieved.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Nook HD a loser

Tahniask wrote:

Plus, Barnes & Noble really rips off it's Nook customers.   The HD wouldn't respond to selecting by tapping with my finger, so I had to spend $20 for a little plastic stick with a rubber point.  And the covers are outrageously expensive!  Don't even bother with the 360 stand cover.  It's $50, is just basically cardboard (easily bendable) inside and if jostled at all simply falls down.  Plus you cannot get a BN membership card discount on any Nook products.  I'm really disillusioned.

My Nook HD responds fine, I find no need for a stylus.  Nobody ripped you off on the $20 stylus, you didn't do any research. You could have bought 6 of them for about $3 over on Amazon or one for about $11 at Target.