Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
Tess75
0 Kudos

Download Free Nook Books & then Charged to Card

I never paid close attention to my emails about the books I downloaded until the other day. I discovered over $70.00 charged to my account for free nook books. Unfortunately the dates were a few months ago so now what can I do. If the book says $0.00 amount(FREE). Then why is my account being charged for them. Also there were several Free downloads that had been canceled that I am unable to read. Any suggestions? This is really frustrating! My account is now $70.00 dollars short. I trusted that when shown dollar amount it should be honored. B&N has my account information with the guarantee that it would not be abused. How do you explain this problem? I like my Nook along with being able to use the B&N Community discussions, but now I have my doubts. Is there a way for B&N to fix this and give me some sort of guarantee that this wont happen again. I'd hate to cancel my account. I do enjoy everyone I've met, They have been very helpful and friendly. Wanting to give B&N a second chance.

Can anyone help? I think my fingers got glued to my NOOK and I can't seem to put it down!1! :smileyhappy:-
Although it's a good conversation piece when out in public!!
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Download Free Nook Books & then Charged to Card

There's probably nothing anyone here can do.  Try calling 1-800-the-book.  Good luck!

►Without order there is chaos◄
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

We users can't help you. You'll need to talk to B&N. The obvious approach would be to call Customer Service at 1-800-THE-BOOK (1-800-843-2665), option 2 for Digital Support.

Another approach would be to go to a B&N store and have them work with Customer Service for you. They have a separate phone number that gets them through to a CS person a lot quicker, and I suspect that having a B&N bookseller on your side will help push things along.

First, though, pull up your orders from your Order Status page: https://cart4.barnesandnoble.com/account/request.aspx?stage=orderStatus&uiaction= and print out all that are of interest. You'll also want your credit card bill with the charges showing, so that you can coordinate the dates.

Personally, I've never heard of anything like this happening to anyone. There have been some occasional glitches, such as double-billing right after Christmas that was automatically corrected, and the occasional NOOKbook that had just become free but some of B&N's computers apparently hadn't gotten the word (Gray Matter being the most recent of those). Large-scale billing screw-ups like that, though, I don't recall ever hearing of.

You can also call your credit card company and tell them you're questioning those charges.

Distinguished Correspondent
Beth_DeEtt
0 Kudos

@Tess75: I have not had this problem, myself, but that doesn't mean you haven't...  :smileywink:

Your post made me realize that I've never ordered a book, even a free one, through the NOOK itself.  I've always used the website through my netbook.  When I request a free book through the website, it sends me directly to a "thank you for your order" screen, but, when I purchase a book with a price, it sends me to another screen to confirm the order.

Now, I do not know whether a book listed as "free" but actually about to cost money would trigger the "confirm order" screen on the website and give me a chance to cancel out.  That's never happened to me, though.

What I'm wondering (and it's just that, a question) is whether requesting a "free" book from the NOOK can result in the charging errors you've gotten.  Anyone?

ETA:  Yeah.  What Doug said.  :smileyvery-happy:

blemons
0 Kudos

Beth_DeEtt wrote:

@Tess75: I have not had this problem, myself, but that doesn't mean you haven't...  :smileywink:

Your post made me realize that I've never ordered a book, even a free one, through the NOOK itself.  I've always used the website through my netbook.  When I request a free book through the website, it sends me directly to a "thank you for your order" screen, but, when I purchase a book with a price, it sends me to another screen to confirm the order.

Now, I do not know whether a book listed as "free" but actually about to cost money would trigger the "confirm order" screen on the website and give me a chance to cancel out.  That's never happened to me, though.

What I'm wondering (and it's just that, a question) is whether requesting a "free" book from the NOOK can result in the charging errors you've gotten.  Anyone?

ETA:  Yeah.  What Doug said.  :smileyvery-happy:

I can't speak for the others - but what has happened to me is that I click on a book that is showing free (from BN website, through my PC).  It takes me immediately to the thank-you page.

One case, the thank-you page showed the price charged (not $0 as listed on the book summary page).

The other case, I didn't notice the thank-you page - but it showed in My BN (under recent orders) with a price charged, not $0.

But thankfully, with a call to CS, I was able to get them reversed.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

Don't forget the option of calling your credit card company as well.  If you explain to them you never had a chance to confirm a purchase then they may be able to help.  You can also mention you want to dispute the charges, especially if you bought  a product that in turn you cannot use because of an error in the product for the ones you can't read.

also, if you do go to a B&N store, while they may not considered it absolute proof, you may wanbt to first go to the free book thread doug maintains on the nookbook section, and find the page that has the books you bought.  meaning you could walk in and show where it said it was free.  I know that is doug saying that, not B&N, but my point is it is at least one way to show at one point it looked like they were free

also there was a book last week i think the same thing happened to some people.  you may want to go back and search the nookbook (or all threads) for the same thing, maybe there are posts from back then as well for those books.

Distinguished Scribe
RSC_Nook
0 Kudos

BTW, sorry for saying this, but I am wondering how you got $70.00 worth of issues.  I could see maybe one book, maybe 2, but $70 worth?

did you buy these all on one day?  across the whole month?  that is a lot of books - at least 5-6 I would think if not more

Beth_DeEtt
0 Kudos

@Tess75:  Were you charged for the books from Kaplan?  I seem to remember some people commenting on the boards about being charged for them, even though they were supposed to be on free promotion.

Kaplan had several nonfiction titles whose prices would add up in a hurry.  I downloaded about 7 of them, myself, but didn't get charged for any.

If you did get charged for the Kaplan books, the good news is that people were able to get refunded for the issue by calling CS.

New User
Carol75
0 Kudos

I, too, downloaded a free ebook and was charged the full price.  My gift card was depleted and the balance was debited from my charge card.  I had to call B&N for 4 consecutive days talking with a different person each day to try to straighten out a problem that should have been very simple to reverse.  Very frustrating experience, with the first tech in Digital Support telling me that prices in retail are always subject to change and they were unable to credit me for my "purchase".  After 4 days with communicating with naive or inept people, I asked if there was any compensation for my troubles.  I was transferred to a Customer Service Floor Supervisor, who as far as he was concerned, and unbeknownst  to me, my charge card was credited the 2nd day.  "Case Closed", he said.  I told him it was apparent that  he only cared about the bottom line and the money and wasn't considering the 4 days of frustrations of a loyal customer.  "The bottom line is you were refunded and it is unfortunate that that was not relayed to you when it happened.  There is no problem."

I guess the compensation, would have been a perk, however, the lack of concern for their customers and their attitude of open and closed cases, left me upset and wondering if I made the right choice in purchasing a nook.  Barnes & Noble has lost sight of the people who keep them in business.  Sideloading from my public library and downloading Kindle books to my iPad might be a lot less stressful. 

New User
hatenook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The same thing happened to me. Also did not catch it at first, but luckily only had $20 of "free book" charges. The result - contacted the B&N phone number listed on my charge card statement which was somewhere in the state of New Jersey. After much information relaying, 40 minutes later "Elle"  told me to fax them the charge card statement, explain the problem book charges, and they would get back to me immediately with a resolution to the charges--well that never happened. Fortunately I did white out all identifier bank information, just their charges with my name and their "reference number" for the complaint.  Called again. Got someone else, not Elle, who barely spoke English-don't remember her name, she was simply useless. Asked to speak to her supervisor and had to demand it several times before she finally transferred me to "Michael" who refused to give us his supervisor - said that was impossible as his supervisor does not take phone calls. But he did tell me something very critical after I accused B&N of fraudlent internet commerce practices, using a bait-and-switch schema, advertising "free books" then later changing them to not free, with prices ranging from $1 to $12- he said if we read the fine print on the 140 page legal document that we agreed to when registering the Nook (which of course we had no access to during the purchasing at a B&N bookstore), we would have seen we agreed to allowing them to change the book pricing at any time, even during a course of a sale that is "pending confirmation", and without requiring to notify the customer of the change in fee status for the book. So in other words, you can presumably download an apparently "free" book, but by the time B&N "charges" your account (because of course they have your credit card number), that "free" book could have been changed to a for-pay book at their whim - and this can happen in as little as a few minutes to an hour or more.  They can delay processing your payment (not "sync" it, he said) even after you have downloaded the book, then charge you "later" so they can rip you off for a fee rather than process it as "free".  I think they do this when they get annoyed if you are downloading too many free books . Also be careful of their "recommended" books or whatever they call them.  They slip in  fee books based upon your reading preferences, they look like ones you downloaded,  and if you lose track of what you downloaded, you can accidentally accept them and unwittingly buy a book that was not free because it does not take you back to a page telling you this was a pay-for (not free) book. There is NO confirmation page.  So you better not be "nooking around" when you are less than 100% alert - so don't buy/download at bedtime or before your morning coffee!! In the meantime, because B&N is blowing me off, I have to contest the charges with the bank and risk having to pay a late fee at my bank - which will be just as much as the amount B&N ripped me off for. You do the math. The only solace to this whole billing fiasco is  I did have an opportunity to rank poorly my experience with B&N with a customer service satisfaction questionaire. But of course that is likely a joke. A friend advised  me to pester the Coroporate Headquarters CEO in NYC - there is an address & phone number listed on the internet, not on the B&N website. Now whether that will help or is legit - I have no idea- as I have to call/write to it.  I don't know if all ebook publishers are this bad, but I'm certainly curtailing my use of the Nook. I expect to get ripped off when I go on ebay occasionally, but not a corporate book store......

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

I have never had problemas like that.. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Ditto. With 100s of free downloads, never a problem.

Inspired Scribe
geatdanemomDT
0 Kudos

I think I am at around 500 free books, Never a problem. I do not believe most of what the OP is saying, he/she lost me when stating that CS said B&N could go back at anytime and charge you more. 

If anything the OP was not paying attention when confirming order and the book was no longer free, I always check that final confirmation, that's what it is there for.

http://quiltinharmony.blogspot.com/
1 Nook 3G/Wi/Fi
Nook Color stock
Nook Color / N2A

New User
hatenook
0 Kudos

Lucky you. I downloaded 100 FREE books and was charged for four, that's a 4% error rate. Maybe I'm just randomly unlucky but I have seen other posts on other blogs with similar complaints. And bty, I am not a twit or off in la-la land when ordering books, so frankly, to borrow a phrase from Clark Gable, 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a **** " if you "believe me or not. And yes, that comment is harsh, but you obviously have never seen the thousands of complaints lodged against B&N Nook practices. I do a tremendous amount of shopping on line, most of my books have been via Amazon/kindle. no problems. I've only had this Nook for 4 months and these 4 books in question the Nook NEVER took me back to confirm a purchase charge-all happened within the Thanksgiving holiday. If I want to be "forgiving" perhaps the blame can be in electronic overload during the holidays by B&N. who knows - B&N isn't being helpful in resolving the issue. And yes, I have the choice to use this device or not.  I'm choosing not.  I am glad you are blissful with your Nook. Wish I was.

Inspired Contributor
TaustinOC
0 Kudos

If your account is accurate, what you describe is credit card fraud and shoudl be reported to your bank as a chargeback. It isn't ultimately up to B&N whether or not to give you a refund. They cannot stop your bank from taking the money back if the situation is as you describe. If you do not do a chargeback, you consent to the charges.

Frequent Contributor
readley
0 Kudos

Another thing you can do is check your old email. BN sends an email when you have purchased something, even a free book, and the email will confirm the price. I have found BN customer service to be very helpful.
Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

hatenook wrote:

Lucky you. I downloaded 100 FREE books and was charged for four, that's a 4% error rate. Maybe I'm just randomly unlucky but I have seen other posts on other blogs with similar complaints. And bty, I am not a twit or off in la-la land when ordering books, so frankly, to borrow a phrase from Clark Gable, 'Frankly my dear, I don't give a **** " if you "believe me or not. And yes, that comment is harsh, but you obviously have never seen the thousands of complaints lodged against B&N Nook practices. I do a tremendous amount of shopping on line, most of my books have been via Amazon/kindle. no problems. I've only had this Nook for 4 months and these 4 books in question the Nook NEVER took me back to confirm a purchase charge-all happened within the Thanksgiving holiday. If I want to be "forgiving" perhaps the blame can be in electronic overload during the holidays by B&N. who knows - B&N isn't being helpful in resolving the issue. And yes, I have the choice to use this device or not.  I'm choosing not.  I am glad you are blissful with your Nook. Wish I was.

People who sign up with derogotory nicknames can hardly be taken seriously.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I've downloaded hundreds of free ebooks and have been charged a time or two. I've found that the problem books tend to have some coding error where the ebook is listed as both for free and at some price. Once I clicked on the get book for free button of one of these books and was charge even though the confirm purchase dialog did not come up. CS resolved this after some back and forth. Now I avoid any ebooks listed as both free and for a price.
New User
debbus
0 Kudos

Has happened to me at least 10 times, free e-book then my bank statement shows charges of $2.12 at least 10 times. Called B&N and they blame the bank, call the bank and they blame B&N. Customer service terrible at B&N, talked to 5 reps, no one can help, call tomorrow when a senior analyst is in......so long B&N won't ever use it again 

New User
donrull
0 Kudos

I too just ordered about 100 free books on my Nook and was charged for 4 of them.  How frustrating as I was VERY careful to make sure the purchase button said FREE.