Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Arica
0 Kudos

Downloaded Book shows up as ISBN

I bought a book from allromanceebooks.com and when I put it on my Nook color it shows up with a green cover with just the ISBN not the title.  I can read the book but would prefer to see the cover and the name of the book.  All the other books I have downloaded from the site show up with the cover and title of the book but this one.  Is there a way to change that so I can see the cover and title and not the ISBN?  I tried to change the title when my Nook was hooked up to my computer but all that did was change the book so it was unreadable.  Any ideas or suggestions?  I just got my Nook for Christmas so I am a little new to the ereader world so sorry if this question comes up a lot.

Thanks for your answers.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Re: Downloaded Book shows up as ISBN

[ Edited ]

Download and install Calibre. Its free and lets you edit the metada which is where the title is pulled from.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

@Arica

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Calibre will only let you make changes is the book is not DRM-protected.

At any rate, this sounds like a publisher problem, and the seller should make it good for you.  You should report it to allromanceebooks.com and ask for a corrected file.

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
eagleSB
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

This started on B&N around the time they released v1.5.  The metadata is fine.  It's just the name of the file that is downloaded.  It used to contain the ISBN as well as an abbreviated title and author name.  Someone else posted that if you use NOOK software it names it differently.  I've taken to renaming the file after downloading and adding the title.  I don't know why, with modern operating systems supporting very long file names, B&N would opt for using only the ISBN.  Why not put in the name of the book?  Maybe it's another one of those publisher rules.

Oops.  Just reread the original post.  I don't think my reply is correct for that.  Sorry. :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

Calibre will only let you make changes is the book is not DRM-protected.

For EPUB e-books, the metadata is not allowed to be DRM-encrypted, so Calibre can update that part. Unforunately, the cover image isn't considered part of the metadata and is usually encrypted. But the title and author, among other things, are easily changeable.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

For EPUB e-books, the metadata is not allowed to be DRM-encrypted, so Calibre can update that part. Unforunately, the cover image isn't considered part of the metadata and is usually encrypted. But the title and author, among other things, are easily changeable.

Not quite true regarding cover art. For sideloaded eBooks, the cover art displayed on the LCD defaults to the image file stored on the Nook with the same filename as the epub. In v1.4 for most sideloaded eBooks, that was the only way to get cover art to display on the LCD.  

There are a number of B&N Classic series that display the cover page rather than cover art when sideloaded. I have changed those in Calibre to display the cover art instead.

This only works if the content is sideloaded. The changed cover art does not show up in cover flow because sideloaded eBooks do not support cover flow.

The NookColor is a different animal and I don't have one to play with. This only applies to the original Nook.