Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Pootie
0 Kudos

Downloading-Queued:Will complete shortly

I purchased the nook for my wife yesterday and here is my problem. I have wifi at the house, everything else that uses the wifi works fine, not a bit of problem. The nook can find the wifi, can connect with no problem, register no problem and can get on the web no problem. My wife, purchased some books from barnes and noble, they are showing up on the nook, without the book cover (another problem). We check for new B&N content, go to download, starts starting, then it states Queued:Will complete shortly and just hangs.

Here is what I have done on my end, I read through the forum, I have rebooted the nook, several times, I have unregister and re register the nook, several times. I have gone through my router and have even reset it several times. I have called tech support, after a 42 minute wait and they were as much help as a fly on a frogs back. Nothing has worked.

I have seen several post, but nothing that has really answer the question. Has anyone had this problem and has had it been corrected or does anyone have a clue on what I can do. I live in a rural area and free local wifi is not available.

I do understand some tech stuff, but not alot of the newer stuff I am using a fairly new netgear router. Would love to make my wife's day and mine and have this working.

Then once I get this done, then I will ask about why the book covers are not showing up. It may have to do with this problem.

Thank you and any help would be grateful .

Tim

New User
budndeb
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading-Queued:Will complete shortly

Hi Tim,

I purchased my Nook in September of 2010 and it downloaded books just fine at home via wifi since after Christmas I tried to download books at home getting same message as you Queued will complete shortly and never does. I drove to a near by town that has wifi and was able to download books just fine. Strange, also have Nook on my laptop and books download on there just fine using my wifi at home. I don't understand why they won't download on my Nook ereader either using wifi at home but will at near by town with wireless internet, frustrating!!!

New User
Pootie
0 Kudos

I know, everything else works on the wifi, everything on the Nook works, with the exception of the downloading books. I have been pulling my hairout. I know I am not the only one having this problem, but no one seems to know the answer. Tech is useless!  But I am still trying to figure it out. I use the Adobe Digital Editions to transfer them from my computer to her Nook, but for the money I paid, I should not have to do that.

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

@Pootie, I see at least two other active posts right now with the identical issue. One thing being explored is port blocking/forwarding. You could try configuring your router to forward a bunch of ports to your device, just as an experiment. Tony_M has inquired as to what port number(s) B&N uses for downloads, but nobody's answered yet. So just as a test, you could use a large range and then narrow it down. If you felt like spending a few minutes trying it, a binary search, which goes pretty quick, could be used to find the port (as long as they're consistent): start with a wide range, say 100 to 65000. If that works, then try 100 to 32000, or 32001 to 65000 and see which one works. When you hit the one that works, then split in half again. With numbers this size, it takes about 16 iterations to get it down to one number.

Or.... we can ask B&N tech support if they can tell us the port number(s). :smileyhappy:

Contributor
densipe
0 Kudos

I have the identical problem since v1.5 firmware.  I recently bought "True Grit" online and it showed up in the nook library, but when i tried to download, it never did.  I stopped into Panera to have lunch and try again.  After the going thru the Panera internet connect process, the nook download worked.

it must be a wireless router or DSL modem issue.  We need to put more info into our posts about our hardware.

Wireless DSL - Westell Modem 2200

Buffalo Wireless - WBR-54G

My next task will be to use a laptop to monitor all wireless traffic as I put the nook through its paces.  maybe that will shine some light.  And then dump the modem's and router's security logs.  or maybe a nook tech will finally provide some info

New User
jjtxaustin
0 Kudos

I have been struggling with the exact issue for a while and finally got it fixed. It's ridiculous that I can download purchased books on iPad and PC but not on BN's own Nook (first edtion).

I had to perform a "factory fall back" to fix this issue. After reset the Nook, it actually automatically downloaded and updated to the latest firmware (1.7). I was worried about that (I had 1.7 before the fall back). Fortunately, the download still works after the update.

Hope this helps others who are in the same boat.