Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
Chelsea8710
0 Kudos

Downloading books to my nook in Iraq

I am deployed to Iraq and I can't download books to my nook. I head that if you have a .mil email address on your B&N account that you can. You would have to unregister, change your email, and then re-register your nook. Problem is I do not have wifi here so I would not be able to re-register my nook. I got a nook for myself and one for my husband for deployment. I thought it was a good idea so that we would not have to carry around a ton of book while we were deployed. Now I am starting to think that it was a big mistake. If anyone can help me I would be very thankful. :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,013

Re: Downloading books to my nook in Iraq

[ Edited ]

Okay, there are a few things here.

First: you can download from anywhere in the world. It's buying that's restricted. If you've already bought your NOOKbooks, you can download them without doing anything special.

Second: if you don't have Wi-Fi access, you can't unregister your NOOK. But you know what? If you don't have Wi-Fi access, it doesn't matter if your NOOK is registered or not because it can't connect to your B&N account anyway.

So here's my recommendation: don't mess with unregistering your NOOK. Leave it registered at the current email address. Go ahead and change your B&N account to have your .mil email address. Your NOOK will never know the difference if it doesn't ever connect to Wi-Fi. You'll probably need to deal with change-confirmation emails.

Now you should be able to buy NOOKbooks (if you've got an American credit card registered). Once you've bought them, you'll have to download them to your computer. I recommend that you use NOOK for PC to do that, but you can just use the "Download" button if you want. However, when you use the Download button, the file names that B&N gives you will have an extra dot in them that NOOK 1.5 doesn't like, so you'll have to rename them from xxx_epub.v2.epub to just xxx.epub.

Once you've got the NOOKbooks downloaded and renamed, you can then sideload them into 'my documents' on your NOOK(s). Because they were sideloaded over USB rather than downloaded wirelessly, they will appear in the My Documents section of My Library, not in the My B&N Library section. So be sure to look in the right place.

Be sure to change your B&N account back to whatever your NOOKs are registered for before connecting your NOOK to Wi-Fi, or they won't be able to connect to your account.

Wordsmith
Runnergirl77
0 Kudos

Doug just said what I would have said...except that I think he worded it much more clearly!

New User
Chelsea8710
0 Kudos

Thank very much for your help!!

New User
smtambo
0 Kudos

This may be a good work around, but seriously Barnes and Noble?  YOu would think you would have figured this out by now.  The majority of service men and women purchased the nook for the sole reason of have a convient library while they were deployed.  Starting to regret purchasing the nook, should have gone with a kindle.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

smtambo wrote:

Starting to regret purchasing the nook, should have gone with a kindle. 

Huh?

If you have a NOOK, registered to your .mil email address and have Wifi access, it will work for you whereever you are the same as it does for me in Pennsylvania.  Or it should.  The OP had hers registered to a non-.mil email address and that is what caused Doug to provide a workaround.

What is not working for you?  Maybe we can help.

Thank you for your service.  Be safe.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

smtambo wrote:

This may be a good work around, but seriously Barnes and Noble?  YOu would think you would have figured this out by now.  The majority of service men and women purchased the nook for the sole reason of have a convient library while they were deployed.  Starting to regret purchasing the nook, should have gone with a kindle.

So... Since the OP's issue was that they didn't have wifi, you're saying that B&N should find a way to set up wifi everywhere the US has a military deployment?

Uh, no.

Distinguished Correspondent
MegSLP
0 Kudos

Plus, to build on what others are saying in reply to @smtambo, wifi is generally a big no on bases in Iraq/Afghanistan. You can't have secret/top secret info go out over wireless Internet. So, it isn't BN's issue that the military won't allow wifi.
Contributor
NinjaNurse
0 Kudos

It isn't just being overseas where the military may not have wifi.  I have not been deployed yet, but I have been on some installations in the United States, and in the field, they are in the middle of NOWHERE...you have no coverage. 

To the OP, I hope you were able to get your NOOK situation squared away! :smileyhappy:

Inspired Correspondent
Viktornka
0 Kudos

Wish I could help.

Thank you for your service and sacrifices.