Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
rhayenga
0 Kudos

Downloading books without Wifi

I have a Nook (Wifi) and have a question. Unless I take my Nook to my college tech support, I can't get the password to put wifi on it. Is there a way for me to download books without wifi, and do I need a special program to open them on my computer?

Contributor
swbarnes2
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading books without Wifi

I'm a little new to this, but the answer is "yes, but not all of them".

I think to get access to "Nookbooks" bought at B&N.com, you have to go somewhere with Wifi to download to your Nook them off the site.  But you can do this anywhere with Wifi; a B&N bookstore, a Starbucks, etc.  You go to your "library", and hit the sync button in the lower left, and it'll talk to the B&N website, and start downloading books that you bought there onto your Nook, and then they are there, and you can read them offline you don't have to be hooked up to Wifi anymore. 

If you buy Google e-books, those are "side-loaded".  You download Adobe Digital Editions (free) to a computer you have access to.  ADE is to your Google books as Itunes is to your music; you use it to manage your e-books, and load them onto the Nook; they don't download automatically onto the Nook like Nookbooks do.  You download the book onto the computer with ADE, and then hook up your Nook to that computer.  Then you drag the book onto the Nook, like you would music onto your Ipod.  It won't show up in your "library" on the Nook, it'll show up in the "Files" part instead.  But it'll read like a book (I can't get Adobe books to work right now, they have pictures which Nook can't deal with yet, but Epub works.)  I think borrowing from libraries works much the same way, but there might be another piece of software (Overdrive).  You can then delete the copy on your hard drive; you can always redownload it from Google.

You can read eBooks on any computer with a browser, you can download a nook reader to your computer to read a B&N book, though that's what your Nook is for.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading books without Wifi

You can sideload ebooks bought from B&N.  You can download them two ways:

You can log in to your account from your computer, go into your ebook library and then click the download link on the books you want to add to your computer;

or

You can download and install the NOOK for PC software and install it.  Once you're logged in you can download all of your books through that.

Either way, you can connect your NOOK to your computer and drag the ebook files to it.  You don't need ADE.  You will have to drag them to you Documents folder (if you're using a NOOK Classic) or to your books folder in My Files (if you're using a NOOKcolor).