Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Correspondent
gnkc
0 Kudos

Downloading, sideloading, mindbending...

OK, my head is spinning after reading through many posts.

To start, I am not exactly computer illiterate but do not have home wifi. I will purchase a NC in

the near future as well as a Nook of some flavor for my wife.

I understand I can purchase via wifi directly to the Nook(s) and having an account for both Nooks will allow seperate reading interests for both.

And I found the thread which details how to get any books we want to share from one Nook to the other.

What I'm having trouble with is how to get books from our laptop to either Nook via a USB connection.

I do have seperate accounts set up at BN.com and have the Nook app on the laptop and have

purchased a book on my account.

Do I have to download and then sideload or will the laptopn recognize that the Nook is hooked up and that the Nook app is there and sync them?

Can a book bought via the laptop Nook app be on both Nooks?

Thanks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Downloading, sideloading, mindbending...

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

OK, my head is spinning after reading through many posts.

To start, I am not exactly computer illiterate but do not have home wifi. I will purchase a NC in

the near future as well as a Nook of some flavor for my wife.

I understand I can purchase via wifi directly to the Nook(s) and having an account for both Nooks will allow seperate reading interests for both.

And I found the thread which details how to get any books we want to share from one Nook to the other.

What I'm having trouble with is how to get books from our laptop to either Nook via a USB connection.

I do have seperate accounts set up at BN.com and have the Nook app on the laptop and have

purchased a book on my account.

Do I have to download and then sideload or will the laptopn recognize that the Nook is hooked up and that the Nook app is there and sync them?

Can a book bought via the laptop Nook app be on both Nooks?

Thanks.

You may find it helpful to download both the nook and the NOOKColor user guides.  In the nook user guide, you can review "sideloading," but I don't think they call it that with the NC, so just look for information on putting other files onto the NC.

However, I believe in either one you need to download the book or file to your computer, then move it to the nook or NC.  You can put any files recognized by the nook or NC on either nook.

You can also search for messages by Doug_Pardee.  He has some informative links in his signature.  So do some others, but I can't think of their names right now.

gnkc
0 Kudos

I have the Nook user guide and nowhere does it mention 'sideload' or 'side load' or anything like that. Nor does it go into the association between the Nook, color or not, the Nook app and content which was purchased via the Nook app on a pc.

Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out when I actually have the Nook to connect. :smileywink: 

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

I have the Nook user guide and nowhere does it mention 'sideload' or 'side load' or anything like that. Nor does it go into the association between the Nook, color or not, the Nook app and content which was purchased via the Nook app on a pc.

Oh well, I guess I'll figure it out when I actually have the Nook to connect. :smileywink: 

NO...there is NO automatic syncronization of the CONTENT between the Nook for PC and either NC or nook.  Via 'radio' (WiFi or 3G depending on the model) what can be syncronized is the last page read ON THE SAME ACCOUNT when you switch between the PC app and the nook.

You must copy the files by hand   For the nook, look starting on page 153 of the online manual here.

---------
Don
Correspondent
Jazola
0 Kudos

Let me tell you a tale of how I first started doing things (from July to December).  I was going a long way around to get books on my nook and this is what I was doing.  I would purchase a book on my PC.  That book would go into My Nook Library.  I would then go into My Nook Library and click on Download.  I would then save it in a file named My Barnes & Noble ebooks.

I am not sure if this would work for you or not, but it just might.  

Just a throught!

Zola 

gnkc
0 Kudos

Well, I can see myself still taking frequent trips to BN and purchasing several books while there. Now I'm asking myself is all this worth changing the way I currently purchase books for our reading pleasure. :smileytongue:

Wait, could I purchase books at home via the BN site and just have them put on the Nook when I happen to get to a wifi location. Hmmm.

And I thought technology was supposed to make our lives easier......

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

Well, I can see myself still taking frequent trips to BN and purchasing several books while there. Now I'm asking myself is all this worth changing the way I currently purchase books for our reading pleasure. :smileytongue:

Wait, could I purchase books at home via the BN site and just have them put on the Nook when I happen to get to a wifi location. Hmmm.

For me, it was a space issue.  Since purchasing my nook, I have not purchased any hard-cover books and don't have to worry about where I'm going to put them.  And since I don't want to pay new release prices, I've been taking advantage of free and inexpensive ebooks from unfamiliar (to me) authors.

And, yes.  You can purchase books at home via the B&N site and they will show up on your nook when you connect at a wifi location.  That's how I do the majority of my purchases, rather than on the nook itself.  If you don't have one already, you can get a wireless router for your home.

Technology makes things more convenient, not necessarily easier.  :smileywink:

gnkc
0 Kudos

Josienjoe wrote:

If you don't have one already, you can get a wireless router for your home.

Ah, if only something besides a dial up connection was available in my area. I'm sure I will get this sorted out. BN is only four miles from my house so maybe I can catch their Wifi at home. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

Josienjoe wrote:

If you don't have one already, you can get a wireless router for your home.

Ah, if only something besides a dial up connection was available in my area. I'm sure I will get this sorted out. BN is only four miles from my house so maybe I can catch their Wifi at home. :smileyvery-happy:

Well, having a B&N within four miles is a good thing then.  :smileywink:

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:
Ah, if only something besides a dial up connection was available in my area. I'm sure I will get this sorted out. BN is only four miles from my house so maybe I can catch their Wifi at home.

Oh, I definitely feel for ya! We just got DSL capability here a couple of years ago. But it will never be real high-speed because our switching and routing stations out here are still the old party-line setup.

But, at least we can use the computer and talk on the phone at the same time without having a second line.

The main fiber optic cable is only about 400 yards from our neighborhood, you would think ...

The only other option was satellite, yikes the prices!

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:
...What I'm having trouble with is how to get books from our laptop to either Nook via a USB connection....

purchased a book on my account....

Any ebooks you've purchased from the B&N store to read on your PC will automatically download to your nook once you purchase it.  If you install the B&N iPhone or Blackberry App you will also have access to any books purchased from the B&N library.

Sideload is just a nick name for using the USB to copy any DRM free ebook from your PC to your nook (usually doing nothing more than dragging and dropping using windows explorer). 

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

gnkc wrote:

If you purchase a physical book at a B&N store....obviously you can't load it onto your nook.

:smileyhappy:

But, yes, you need an internet connection to download books.   Which you CAN do via your PC (presuming it is on the internet) and then copy from the PC onto the nook.

OR  (whoops...didn't read you only had dial-up before I posted this...so below isn't a good option for you)

Spend a few bucks (really....way less than $100) and add WiFi to your system..

Your current internet connection goes into the WiFi router, and your hard wired PC plugs into the WiFi router so it stays hard wired.

You now have WiFi in your home....and can buy at your leisure and download onto your nook(s) as you wish.

---------
Don
Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Sideload is just a nick name for using the USB to copy any DRM free ebook from your PC to your nook (usually doing nothing more than dragging and dropping using windows explorer). 

You can also sideload eBooks with DRM purchased from sellers other than B&N, by running them through Adobe Digital Editions (ADE).

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
mariasull
0 Kudos

OK...I downloaded adobe digital editions and have it on my laptop with a copy of the library book on it....my nook is hooked up and I cannot get it to sideload...

I did try to drag and drop..then the titles are listed on my laptop nook listing,...but cannot find it on my nook

I am pretty good with computers but I am really frustrated with this setup

How do I get it onto the Nook...or is it in there and I cannot find it HELP

ABthree
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@mariasull

Welcome!  :smileyhappy:

Go to any post by FrogAlum (look to the right for Top Laureled Authors and click on her name to go to her profile and posts), look for the link on installing and using ADE in her Signature, and follow the link.

All will become clear.

-- St. Basil the Great+
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

gnkc wrote:

@gnkc 

I think you are starting to suffer from information overload from to many different sources.

A dial up connection should work fine for downloading eBooks to your computer. 

Sideloading is nothing more than copying a file from one location to another. When you plug a Nook into your computer it shows up as another drive attached to your computer.

I prefer to sideload all of my eBooks. It's not that big a deal.

I live 2 miles from a BN store and cannot pick up their Wi-Fi from their own parking lot. Unless you live in a BN store I wouldn't count on using their Wi-Fi from home.

gnkc
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

gnkc wrote:
...What I'm having trouble with is how to get books from our laptop to either Nook via a USB connection....

purchased a book on my account....

Any ebooks you've purchased from the B&N store to read on your PC will automatically download to your nook once you purchase it.  If you install the B&N iPhone or Blackberry App you will also have access to any books purchased from the B&N library.

"Any ebooks you've purchased from the B&N store to read on your PC will automatically download to your nook once you purchase it." 

This is what I would expect to happen if the book was purchased on the BN website and the

Nook was connected to the laptop. Hitting a 'sync' button at the most to cause this to occur.

Thanks.  

Frequent Contributor
MrPine
0 Kudos

man all the info you are throwing this guy is confusing him.

as one person pointed out, you can not synch between your pc and the nook. it does not work like itunes/ipod

if you dont have wifi (and are not getting the 3g model) here is what you have to do.

download the nook pc e reader software.

buy the books you want.

open the software

check for new content

it will download the ebooks to a location on your pc (you can see that in your preferences or settings).

now connect your nook to our pc via the usb that comes with your nook.

once the pc recognises your nook open the nook directory. somewhere in there will be a folder called B&N Ebooks. or B&N library. something like that.

Copy the files from your pc into that folder.

disconnect the nook, and bam the files are there. you might have to hit check for new content first.

to sideload, get a book from anywhere other than b & n (that is file supported on the nook).

and drag and drop into your my documents folder on the nook.

simple as that.

no need to confuse the guy.

Don't Worry, I'm The Doctor!
ABthree
0 Kudos

@gnkc

You should never have to move a book you purchased from B&N back and forth between your computer and your Nook via the USB cable.  Your Nook should download any purchased book via WiFi or 3G (depending on the Nook you have) whenever you're not in Airplane Mode and you update B&N content.  Your computer application should update via the Internet.  Both devices will reference your library on the B&N servers, not each other.  Sideloading generally is used for books bought from sellers other than B&N, to load the books into the My Documents area of your Nook, not your B&N Library.

Am I missing something about the issue you're trying to resolve?

-- St. Basil the Great+
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

ABthree wrote:

@gnkc

You should never have to move a book you purchased from B&N back and forth between your computer and your Nook via the USB cable.  Your Nook should download any purchased book via WiFi or 3G (depending on the Nook you have) whenever you're not in Airplane Mode and you update B&N content.  Your computer application should update via the Internet.  Both devices will reference your library on the B&N servers, not each other.  Sideloading generally is used for books bought from sellers other than B&N, to load the books into the My Documents area of your Nook, not your B&N Library.

Am I missing something about the issue you're trying to resolve?

I think the problem is that he doesn't have wifi (and he has dial-up internet so can't get wifi) and there is no 3G coverage in his area. So it sounds like he'll have to sideload everything, even B&N content, unless he can regularly get to a wifi hotspot everytime he wants to buy a book.

There is a way to sync your nook to your B&n content using the nook for PC software. Plug your nook into the computer, start nook for PC. You'll get some sort of pop up that says something like nook for pc detects a device on the computer and do you want to add books to it. I'm not sure of the exact wording as I've only done it once, when I lost wifi. If you select yes it will give you a list of books that you have downloaded from your B&N account on the nook for PC app. Just follow the directions. It worked when I did it, but like I said I haven't tried it since. 

Or you could just drag and drop the books into the nook using windows explorer. The nook will ask for the name and credit card number (for the first book) to unlock the drm.

Fran