Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
MissInez
0 Kudos

Re: E Books

[ Edited ]

You guys are seriously cracking me up! Now THIS is the way everyone should respond to trolling!

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

SeaDogMJ wrote:

Well if nothing else she did accomplish what most trolls hope for.  This site needs an idiot filter. She would have never made it to the front door let a lone got in.

Seriously I think this thread is a lot of fun and I'm glad there's no idiot filter on the site... :smileyhappy:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Reader 4
brianofedmond

I am devastated.  When I quit football because of my asthma my coach told me I would never be a man.  Now, because I read ebooks, I am not a real book lover.  What has my life become....sniff, sniff.  When you get tired of those stone tablets your collecting, come back and post something meaningful.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

I will most likely offend a lot of readers, but I will NEVER own a book or whatever it is called.  I must have a scroll to hold in my hands. It is something I treasure, holding a great scroll in my hands and reading it. Watching it unroll as i go further down the page.   I fear the sanctity of the written word is lost in this new technology called printing and binding and also do not believe it will result in more people reading, but less.

For all "real" scroll lovers, this is not the answer.  It is simply a new toy for the rich.

Yuck.

Reddius Gladius

Scroll lover and collector

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Darkkin
0 Kudos

PAPER...You are going with this PAPER!!!  Stone all the way.  I shall never own this scoll, or book, or...Stone tablets and cave painting.  And that's FINAL.  :smileywink:

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier

Stone tablets and cave painting???? Why in my day we made do with the spoken word, and we were lucky!!!

my Da had to relate the entirety of Stephen King's "The Stand"  with pantomime and grunts!!!!!

Darkkin
0 Kudos

What!  No Shadow Puppets...:smileysad:

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

well yes, but I didnt want it to sound like I was complaining

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

This thread is so amusing :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
Dyrinn45
0 Kudos

Lennonthegreat wrote:

I will most likely offend a lot of readers, but I will NEVER own NOOK or whatever it is called.  I must have a book to hold in my hands. It is something I treasure, holding a great book in my hands and reading it.  I fear the sanctity of the written word is lost in this new technology and also do not believe it will result in more people reading, but less.

For all "real" book lovers, this is not the answer.  It is simply a new toy for the rich.

Yuck.

Barbara Vaughan

Book lover and collector

I am a book "lover." I bet I have read more books since i have had my nook, than you read all last year(47).

A toy for the rich? if $149 is to much for you, and something you consider only for the rich, how did you afford internet in your frigidair box?

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

Lennonthegreat wrote:

I will most likely offend a lot of readers, but I will NEVER own NOOK or whatever it is called.  I must have a book to hold in my hands. It is something I treasure, holding a great book in my hands and reading it.  I fear the sanctity of the written word is lost in this new technology and also do not believe it will result in more people reading, but less.

For all "real" book lovers, this is not the answer.  It is simply a new toy for the rich.

Yuck.

Barbara Vaughan

Book lover and collector

Barbara,

While I doubt that you'll ever return to this thread, I must respond just in case you do.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion and I respect that.  I am not offended.

HOWEVER, for you to assume that it is a device for the rich is that - an assumption.  I used my Christmas bonus to get mine, I use gift cards that my students give me as gifts for Christmas and end of year to purchase books, I download free books, I splurged and spent $60 on $100 worth of Sony cards when Target had the great sale and wish I could have justified spending more at the time.  I also have free library cards to three different libraries in my state and have checked out well over 30 books.  I check these boards to learn about deals.  Sometimes I purchase books without benefit of gift cards, but that's what I would have spent on paperbacks. 

Rich?  Not.  Do I enjoy my nook?  Yes. 

Darkkin
0 Kudos

I'm guessing the vast majority of us on these boards don't classify as rich...Does that make our Nooks figments of our imagination?

Inspired Bibliophile
FrogAlum
0 Kudos

Darkkin wrote:

I'm guessing the vast majority of us on these boards don't classify as rich...Does that make our Nooks figments of our imagination?

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Wow I am rich. That sure is a new discovery to me. I understand people who prefer written books but options are our friends. Was the invention of the mp3 players a bad Idea too, the poor sanctuary of the cd or old cassettes I really wish they never created another device. And  I really miss that clutter and lack of organization. Also, I hate that I can get on the internet and pay bills too that is preventing the ability to write checks for everything. Plus people send emails instead of writing letters and text message so eventually with all this we will all experience the inability to write. And actual written words will be treasures. Lastly, I hate the internet, it makes it so hard to do research and find what one is truly looking for. It was so much easier before the internet came a long. 

gqb
Inspired Scribe
gqb
0 Kudos

amillio wrote:

Was the invention of the mp3 players a bad Idea too, the poor sanctuary of the cd or old cassettes I really wish they never created another device.

Imagine if everyone decided that we needed to stop at 8 track players!

Inspired Correspondent
amillio
0 Kudos

Lmao or the first ford vehicles that only came in black. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would like to thank the OP for reminding me that I'm rich.  I sometimes forget that fact and need reminding. :smileytongue:

And also, because this is an amusing post, you all make me laugh.:smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

Anytime anyone tries to justify their fandom by saying someone is not a real fan if they don't meet certain requirements, that person is full of... well, you can figure it out. By using quotes, that to me means she isn't talking about real books lovers, but "real" book lovers.

Barbara probably only discovered how to read recently and these wood pulp things called books and feel threatened by others with more experience. Hmm, if it weren't for the insulting the rich, I'd swear her name was Jo Rowling because of the Luddite attitude. Collector. I bet she's got a wall full hardcovers of authors that are widely available and she thinks that's the way to impress someone.

I wonder if the sanctity of the written word was lost to the people who read before Gutenberg invented the printing press in the same way Barbara is complaining about.

Reader 4
brownaja
0 Kudos

You summed up my sentiments quite nicely.

In the end, it's the ability to have access to the "words"  we wish to read.

I do suspect that many publishers will migrate to the electronic  medium in order to reduce publishing costs.  Hardbound and paperback books may become rare and more expensive, but will still be available

There is room for both formats and they are not neccesarily exclusive.

There will always be joy in reading!

Inspired Correspondent
Andromeda208
0 Kudos

I agree with the others, this person is entitled to their opinion.  But, correct me if i'm wrong.  Bestsellers ( hardcovers) are anywhere from $25.00 and up).where most ebooks are $9.99 plus. Who's the rich one now?