Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
JEJ29

Email I Just Received from B&N

I just received an email offering me a $50 gift card if I "upgrade" my 3G Wi-Fi Nook 1E for a new nook.

No thanks, I love what I have, especially since I have 3G.

I intend to buy a simple touch for my commute on a train, but I don't be turning one in for the other.

Frequent Contributor
Zeeker
0 Kudos

Re: Email I Just Received from B&N

I haven't seen such an email, except it was mentioned in another blog.  Sounds like B&N is admitting they are not supporting the 1st edition, but will not say so directly.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

I got the same email.  Sounds like a good deal for anyone who wants to change devices.  But I personally think my N1E is better than the N2E (I also have a 3G device) so why change?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Zeeker wrote:

Sounds like B&N is admitting they are not supporting the 1st edition, but will not say so directly.

They've already admitted that it's retired.  They'll continue to answer questions about the device and replace defective devices under warranty, but they've already said (directly) that no further updatdes are planned.

Frequent Contributor
CatsRUs
0 Kudos

Hi,

I didn't get an email, but I was talking on the phone with the Nook Manager at the B&N down the road, and she mentioned the promo.  It started Friday morning.

I have the 3G/WiFi Nook, and I've been giving the trade in some thought.  The ST Nook is probably better for my reading needs.

I'm 12 months into a 2 year warranty for a Nook that has not been problem-free.

Hmm...

Contributor
HecubaYH
0 Kudos

Just my two cents, but after reading on the other boards about the issues / problems with the Simple Touch, I should be able to get a $50.00 discount on the NST and keep my NE1 :smileywink: 

Frequent Contributor
hollygNJ
0 Kudos

I got the email, and thought about it for about 2 minutes. I have 3G, Nook is working fine, it has a skin and a great Kate Spade cover- trading in is not for me.

I'll keep my Nook til it stops working, then I'll consider another model.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I haven't noticed such email but I wouldn't give up my nook, though I want a nst I would simply buy it and keep the other just in case of any issues
Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.
Contributor
sfamike1976
0 Kudos

I got the email as well and am passing as well as I love my First Edition.  And I would not upgrade to the new one either. I might upgrade down the road to the Tablet version or Color but that would be it and when this one stops working.  I like having the 3G at my hands and not hunting for a wi-fi spot to download or search for books. 

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I haven't gotten eh email (yet) and think it sounds like a good deal.

My two year warranty on my N1E 3G is up in another month. My daughter already has an N2E she just received as a warranty replacement on a broken N1E WiFi (it broke right before the end of the warranty period and they were out of stock on replacement N1E's) and it is very nice.

Plus I'll get $50 of content for it :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

I haven't gotten eh email (yet) and think it sounds like a good deal.

My two year warranty on my N1E 3G is up in another month. My daughter already has an N2E she just received as a warranty replacement on a broken N1E WiFi (it broke right before the end of the warranty period and they were out of stock on replacement N1E's) and it is very nice.

Plus I'll get $50 of content for it :smileyhappy:

My two-year warranty on my N1E is up next month also, and I'm also contemplating swapping it for a new N2E.  I'm going to spend at least $50 on new content in the next year anyway, so it'd be like getting the N2E for $50.

The only thing stopping me is that I already have an N2E and I don't NEED two ereaders.  One would always be a backup device.

Scribe
optic_i
0 Kudos

I will pass on this offer, I really love my N1  Wi - Fi .  I don't want the N2.  :smileyhappy:    Optic

Frequent Contributor
readley
0 Kudos

I just bought a nook simple touch for my daughter but I'm keeping the nook 1e for myself. I like it too much to switch. Maybe someday I will switch (especially if I find myself coveting my daughter's).
Contributor
burdstreet
0 Kudos

Not happy with BN retiring my Nook, so if I upgrade, it will be a Kindle Fire

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

burdstreet wrote:

Why are you not happy?

The Nook will keep on working. You are not loosing any features.

Amazon has also retired their Kindle1, and will probably soon retire Kindle2 I expect.

That is the way it works with these kind of devices.

Contributor
mjk2007
0 Kudos

Will probably keep using my Nook 1E until either 1) it breaks; or 2) the battery dies and I am no longer able to find a replacement battery.

IMO, the Nook Simple Touch is a nice-looking device, but inferior to the N1E in so many ways.  No 3G, no web browser, no chess and sudoku, no ability to play mp3s.  Not sure I want to "upgrade" to a new device that doesn't even have half the features of the model it's replacing.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

burdstreet wrote:

Because they'll never retire the Kindle Fire?

Distinguished Correspondent
GordonF
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

burdstreet wrote:

Because they'll never retire the Kindle Fire?

Never Retire and Tecgnology are mutually exclusive concepts.

Advances will be made, new versions will come out, the old ones will be retired.

Stop At Nothing - Show Your Teeth
Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

I got that email.  I won't be changing either.  Haven't had my nook all that long and see no reason to change.

But one of these days, like with all electronic equipment, I will get a newer version.  I'll have to.

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I'll be holding on to my original nook for a while yet. The new e-ink nook doesn't appeal enough to me to give up my original nook. My original nook still works fine for what I bought it for, and with B&N abandoning .pdb support on it's newer devices (a big draw for me for the original nook), I don't look to be replacing it anytime soon. I don't fancy stripping the DRM (which is illegal) for a 400+ ebook library that I purchased legally just to have access to them on a device I purchased legally.

I did, however, break down a purchase a second-hand nook color. It probably won't replace my original nook, but the price came down enough for it to be too tempting. If I dual boot it, I can even have (legal) access to my pdb files.