Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

Epub file names-help needed

I am trying to transfer specific books from my Nook Classic to my new Nook Color but the epub file names are a bunch of numbers. How can I find the childrens books I am trying to transfer? The files won't open when I click on them and it's impractical to open one by one anyway.

Sorry I know this is very basic stuff. :smileysad:

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Re: Epub file names-help needed

EscapistFL wrote:

I am trying to transfer specific books from my Nook Classic to my new Nook Color but the epub file names are a bunch of numbers. How can I find the childrens books I am trying to transfer? The files won't open when I click on them and it's impractical to open one by one anyway.

Can't you just download them directly to your NookColor from your library on the B&N servers via WiFi?

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
Correspondent
ChipPM
0 Kudos

Would the Nook for PC ap help?

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/nook/video.asp

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

EscapistFL wrote:

ABThree is correct, as long as the NookColor is registered to the same account you should be able to download them wirelessly.

If you want to download them to your computer and sideload to the NookColor I would recommend that you download Nook for PC and download your eBooks that way.  They will download with a more recognizable name for you, a combination of numbers and the name of the book.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

I opened separate accounts, so I can pick which books to share with 8 year old and I have a Mac. I suppose there is a Nook for Mac I can search for and sideload them that way. Thanks!

Correspondent
ladymis
0 Kudos

Not sure if this will help, but here's what I do is when I want to transfer a book to a Nook on a different account (or download a back-up copy) - When I click "Download" from the book listing from "My Nook Library", before I save the file, I rename it with the title of the book (i.e., Tom_Sawyer.epub) making sure there are no extra periods in the file name.  Then when I go to sideload to another Nook, I can easily pick and choose what books I want.

Frequent Contributor
EscapistFL
0 Kudos

I was finally able to share some books between my Nook Classic & Nook Color using Calibre. Nothing else worked. Thanks all.

Inspired Correspondent
NikiGunn
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
graycyn
0 Kudos

If it helps... the numbers are the ISBN number. So if you know what book you want to transfer, you can look up the title on the BN website, find the ISBN number and locate your file by that.

Nook WiFi, Sony 950, 2 Sony 350s.