Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
clumsey10
0 Kudos

Ereader.com PDB files and Nook Color

I was just in a chat with a nook rep and was told flat out that the nook color will not ever work with PDB files from ereader.com. I for one find this very strange and this is a reason that I have stayed away from any dedicated ereader for this very reason (as I have bought over 98 of them over the years and do not want to repurchase all of them if I want to read them again.)  and therefore will most likely be making a return.

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: Ereader.com PDB files and Nook Color

This is correct. NOOKcolor doesn't support eReader PDB. The NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi do.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

I'm hoping for PDB support either in the upcoming firmware update or in an app.  It is strange given that BN owns some of these PDB sources. 

New User
clumsey10
0 Kudos

It does not seem to be so per my conversation with them. However it seems a good way for more money in the BN pockets to buy all of these books again.

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

This is correct. NOOKcolor doesn't support eReader PDB. The NOOK 3G and NOOK Wi-Fi do.

I read PDBs on my classic, everything else on my color.

Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

clumsey10 wrote:

I was just in a chat with a nook rep and was told flat out that the nook color will not ever work with PDB files from ereader.com. I for one find this very strange and this is a reason that I have stayed away from any dedicated ereader for this very reason (as I have bought over 98 of them over the years and do not want to repurchase all of them if I want to read them again.)  and therefore will most likely be making a return.

NEVER is an awful long time.   I have zero insight or inside information on what B&N plans to do or not do, nor do I know what kind of apps they will or won't approve to be in the Nook app market.  

The NC is certainly capable of running a program that will decode .pdb files; although, as of now, no such application exists.   That does NOT mean one won't be made avaialble in the future.   After all, there is an android eReader from ereader.com that does support their .pdb files.   You just can't currently load it onto a NC.

As to the nook classic, it absolutely supports them.

---------
Don
Reader 2
knit_chick_mom
0 Kudos

How is it possible that the latest offering, the NookColor, does NOT support all the file formats of the older version?? This makes no sense at all to me. Especially since Barnes & Noble advertises the color Nook on the ereader.com website where all the files are .pdb, unsupported on the NC. I think this is an oversight that they'd best address ASAP if they don't want a LOT of color Nooks coming back to the stores from unhappy customers who won't be shopping there again any time soon! 

Correspondent
BooksOnTheKnob
0 Kudos

Actually. if you root the NC, you can then run the nook app (and many others, including the Kindle app) and have access to your B&N PDB books.

B&N is about out of time to announce their own android marketplace in the promised first quarter, but if they ever do, hopefully they'll at least have the nook app there.

Karen
Books on the Knob
http://blog.booksontheknob.org
Contributor
HDnut
0 Kudos

I recently added a NookColor to complement my classic Nook, and discovered the same lack of PDB support.  I use Calibre to convert them to EPUB, which works fine on both.  Hopefully, B&N will add PDB support in a future update.

Contributor
CeladonRoses
0 Kudos

Hello!  Newbie to this board here . . .

I have a Nook classic and have transferred my old Fictionwise.com and ereader.com books to that device.  However, now I'm trying to read those same FW books on my Nook for Android app.  Is that possible?  Where do I save the PDB files so Nook for Android recognizes them?

Thanks in advance!

Inspired Correspondent
jaquellae
0 Kudos

I don't know if it's possible with the nook app for android, but you can try the app from ereader.com http://www.ereader.com/ereader/software/browse.htm

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

Shouldn't this be on the NookColor board?

Contributor
MZ123
0 Kudos

Bumping an old thread, but I wanted to chime in that Calibre does a fine job of converting the pdb files to epub....

EXCEPT if they're DRM'ed. I have something like 200 books in my ereader library, of  which perhaps 25 are free of DRM. Calibre handled those fine but would not touch the protected files.

I gather there are ways of stripping the DRM, but that's of questionable legality - there's a battle between being illegal to circumvent copy protection, and being perfectly legal under the "fair use" concept which allows making backups of files, for example.

Regardless of legality, it looks to be a pain in the neck and we shouldn't HAVE to do this. Heck, it's a big part of why I went with the Nook vs Kindle; I (foolishly) thought I could read my ereader books on it.

Contributor
Trankster
0 Kudos

Re: Ereader.com PDB files and Nook 2

Are eReader books compatible with the Nook 2 now or in the future?
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Re: Ereader.com PDB files and Nook 2

PDB files can not be read on the Nook 2.  They can be converted to EPub by Calibre if they are not DRM protected.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

MZ123 wrote:

Bumping an old thread, but I wanted to chime in that Calibre does a fine job of converting the pdb files to epub....

EXCEPT if they're DRM'ed. I have something like 200 books in my ereader library, of  which perhaps 25 are free of DRM. Calibre handled those fine but would not touch the protected files.

I gather there are ways of stripping the DRM, but that's of questionable legality - there's a battle between being illegal to circumvent copy protection, and being perfectly legal under the "fair use" concept which allows making backups of files, for example.

Regardless of legality, it looks to be a pain in the neck and we shouldn't HAVE to do this. Heck, it's a big part of why I went with the Nook vs Kindle; I (foolishly) thought I could read my ereader books on it.

I saw a couple of weeks ago that someone posted about a Calibre plug-in that will remove the DRM and allow you to convert the PDBs.  I'd think you could find the plug-in info using a Google search.

*Note that I have not done this so I can't tell you too much about it.  I only have 2 PDBs and I own both books in paperback, so I'm just going without them on my N2E.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

"Fair Use" doesn't cover backups.  It covers the use of someone elses work when you want to use it or quote it in your own work "such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research". 

http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

What you do run up against is the Digital Millennium Copyright Act which makes it illegal to break DRM in any way.

Don't get me wrong, I think the DMCA is a horrible idea.  I'm just pointing out that cracking DRM (whether it's an ebook, iTunes file, or movie) is not legal even if you say you're doing it "to make a backup" or "because you already paid for it."

That being said, I hear googling for "Apprentice Alf's Blog" leads you to very clear instructions on how to setup Calibre to convert formats that don't want to be converted... hint hint.

Contributor
MZ123
0 Kudos

Thanks - I stand corrected. I said "fair use" because I'd heard that term used (apparently incorrectly) in web pages that discuss this very issue.

Note that I have zero moral qualms about the topic, as long as the book is truly used only by the purchaser. I have *major* issues with distributing said files.

I just want B&N to recognize that there are a lot of users who've switched over from ereader to nook, and don't deserve to lose all their content.