Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Tyleen

Re: Every Negative Comment Is Not Made By A Troll

IMHO from being a newbie to this forum.......

You are right Alan that not every complaint about the Nook are from trolls, and sometimes the term does get used a bit too freely.  You did mention that both sides of an issue needs to be posted, does that not include opinions from those who reply as well?

When I see a new topic with headings like "Is it me or does the Nook suck" or "My love affair with the nook has ended" my first gut reaction is "Oh really, like I can take this seriously."  I have been tempted to post, but usually others have voiced the same opinions I have and therefore did not need to add to the fire. Most times I re-read due to it usually ends up off topic to something pretty humorous. The JRT and waffles takeovers are so far my favorites.

As for non-trolls that just need help or to vent: Anonymity does cause some people to show the worst of themselves due to no repercussions. Maybe some of us newbies need a forum etiquette reminder/lesson?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

Tyleen wrote:

As for non-trolls that just need help or to vent: Anonymity does cause some people to show the worst of themselves due to no repercussions. Maybe some of us newbies need a forum etiquette reminder/lesson?

It's not (just) the newbies who need a forum etiquette reminder.  We (and I mean WE) all can use the reminder that at the other end of the keyboard is another person - even if they are behaving jerkily.

Isn't it common knowledge that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?  If you've [collective you] got a concern, you're way more likely to get help by saying "My X is doing Y.  Is it supposed to?  Could I have done something to cause it?  Can I fix it?" than by saying "This X that y'all love is a piece of crap because it doesn't do Y."  :smileywink:  

[ETA:  Welcome to the fun.  I hear Williams-Sonoma is having a sale on colanders - and they even have cute little colored ones for your JRT.  :smileywink:]

Wordsmith
Tweedledee
0 Kudos

Oh drat - we have no Williams & Sonoma in our area, the nearest is a 70 mile hike and it is going to be snowing here soon....just drat.

How can I live with myself if we do not have the color coordinated collanders for the girls, and for that matter with the news that there is a sale - the human could also color coordinate with the girls for a thifty price.

Currently when we go on our walks it is a mish mash of uncoordinated collanders bobbing down the sidewalk  :smileyvery-happy:  Tacky at best - the neighbors are complaining (snickering too I have noticed), fashion police that they are.  :smileyhappy:

On the serious side when a newly registered (no prior posts) OP posts in multiple locations with the same tripe, somehow or another, at the very least the term acrimonous comes to mind, there appears to be a concerted approach on their part to cause consternation and overt hostility in their efforts, i.e. "nook sucks", "why I hate nook - buying a kindel", "B&N CS sucks" as hypothetical examples (I believe these actually exist in some part or whole as a theme in some posts).  

I do not care if it is B&N's boards or the man in the moon's boards, it is just plain rude to come into someone's house, first time in the door,  then make inflammatory, often blatantly uncivil, and crass remarks to the long time guests and host.   

So if the shoe fits - ideally they need to wear it, alternatively they can get the award. 

"It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this."
Bertrand Russell
Frequent Contributor
re410
0 Kudos

LarryOnLI wrote:

@re410,

I think you are overlooking the fact that this is a discussion board provided by B&N, about a B&N product.

How would you feel if you go to the manufacturers forum on any product you've bought, and the manufacturer won't let you post about problems you are having for three days, and then reviews your post for negative comments.

The manufacturer would lose my business immediately.

Nope, I haven't overlooked any thing.

Negative comments are fine.

I think anyone that comes onto any board for the first time and craps all over it should be told, in no uncertain terms, that is not acceptable.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I am certainly not denying that are trolls around.  I just think the term is being used without justification in many cases.

And Doug, I have been around since the old days as well and know what you're talking about.  I used to be extremely active in the old usenet discussions as well as Fido.net and the like (via bbs's)...

I tend to agree. Having also been around on newsgroups and forums (who else remembers Prodigy?) forever, I think of "troll" as someone who comes on with no purpose other than to stir up trouble then leave. 

I think that while some of the negative posts are certainly from newbies with problems, just looking for help, many are just from jerks. WHile I believe you could make an argument that all (or at least nearly all trolls are jerks, I am not certain I would say all the jerks are trolls. 

LisaB

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

re410 wrote:

I think anyone that comes onto any board for the first time and craps all over it should be told, in no uncertain terms, that is not acceptable.

I believe that's known as the "seagull" maneuver? :smileywink:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

re410 wrote:

I believe that's known as the "seagull" maneuver? :smileywink:

Yes...fly in, make a lot of noise, s*** all over everything, make a lot of noise, and fly away.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Contributor
Jasini
0 Kudos

< Pedantic mode > I think you meant "Not Every Negative Comment is made by a Troll". :smileywink: All you need is one negative statement made by a troll to prove your title false. </ Pedantic mode >

But still, people who come in saying, "I'm having trouble with my Nook because of x y and z," tend to get useful responses, such as, "Have you tried i j and q?" While people who come in saying, "Nook is crap! I've never seen a worse product! I'm buying a Kindle!" tend to get treated as trolls.

Distinguished Correspondent
SlaughterS
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

...isn't it common knowledge that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?...

It depends on how much vinegar you have.

This is the Internet. I'm not going to let my complete lack of actual knowledge stop me from giving my opinion....
Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

SlaughterS wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

...isn't it common knowledge that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar?...

It depends on how much vinegar you have.

...and whether or not you really want to catch flies... :smileytongue:

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

I'm glad you posted this Alan, it needed to be said.   I've seen many well thought out posts labeled as being from a 'troll' because they were unhappy in some way with the product.   This is a B&N forum and the people posting have purchased a B&N product,  of course this is one place they will come to complain if they are unsatisfied with the product.

Linda

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
0 Kudos

Thank you Linda.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Keep feeding the fishies AlanNJ. Your only at Troll Private with 2 pages.:smileytongue:

Contributor
mayaBN
0 Kudos

@Jasini-  I just have to say- spot on! For both of your comments :smileyhappy: