AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,528

Every Negative Comment Is Not Made By A Troll

Lately it seems as if almost every time a negative comment is made by an OP someone in the thread needs to write something to the effect that the OP is a troll.

Are people no longer allowed to make negative comments about a product without being insulted?  A forum is here for discourse whether it is positive or negative.

I've had a Nook Classic since early March of 2010 and although I love the product and probably couldn't live without it there are certainly improvements that can be made. 

With as many Nooks as have been sold since last year (including Nook Classic 3G/wi-fi and wi-fi as well as the Nook color) there are of course going to be people with complaints and problems.  I'm not saying that many of the complaints or problems couldn't be worded better than they are.

Saying something negative about the product does not make the OP a "troll".

Are we supposed to all just say happy happy joy joy positive things about the Nook or Nook Color?  Is that the level we've come down to?

I certainly hope not.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to call me a troll since I wrote a post which could be construed as being negative.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Every Negative Comment Is Not Made By A Troll

I agree completely.

I do think a few of them *are* trolls, but level-headed criticism isn't trolling.  There are legitimate concerns and flaws with NOOK as with anything else.  

I can think of a few non-trolls with (what I believe to be) unrealistic expectations, as well.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Lately it seems as if almost every time a negative comment is made by an OP someone in the thread needs to write something to the effect that the OP is a troll.

Are people no longer allowed to make negative comments about a product without being insulted?  A forum is here for discourse whether it is positive or negative.

I've had a Nook Classic since early March of 2010 and although I love the product and probably couldn't live without it there are certainly improvements that can be made. 

With as many Nooks as have been sold since last year (including Nook Classic 3G/wi-fi and wi-fi as well as the Nook color) there are of course going to be people with complaints and problems.  I'm not saying that many of the complaints or problems couldn't be worded better than they are.

Are we supposed to all just say happy happy joy joy positive things about the Nook or Nook Color?  Is that the level we've come down to?

I certainly hope not.

Now I'm just waiting for someone to call me a troll since I wrote a post which could be construed as being negative.

The ones that set my teeth on edge are the subject headings that are of the "this is crap", NOOK sucks" tone.. 

LisaB

Bibliophile
Jenniisme
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I certainly hope not.

Ughh you're such a troll! :smileyvery-happy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957

Get back under your bridge, Alan! :smileytongue:

On every forum I've ever been on (and I've been on Internet since long before it was Internet), some people will immediately holler "troll" whenever the first post from a new user is negative. Of course, when someone signs up for their B&N account with a user name of "dienookdie" or something, that does tend to raise suspicions.

The thing is, there's a standard approach to dealing with trolls: ignore them and they go away. Calling them out is pointless. If they are indeed trolls, they know it. If they're not, why insult them? But you can't expect forum members to use logic when passions get involved.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I am certainly not denying that are trolls around.  I just think the term is being used without justification in many cases.

And Doug, I have been around since the old days as well and know what you're talking about.  I used to be extremely active in the old usenet discussions as well as Fido.net and the like (via bbs's)...

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

AlanNJ, eloquently stated.  No one can judge someone because of a negative post.  A Discussion Forum must always present both sides.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

I am certainly not denying that are trolls around.  I just think the term is being used without justification in many cases.

And Doug, I have been around since the old days as well and know what you're talking about.  I used to be extremely active in the old usenet discussions as well as Fido.net and the like (via bbs's)...

It probably is a little to freely assigned to posters. Many are not in fact trolls but consumers where this is their first encounter with public forums and think this is the appropriate place to register complaints, shout out their frustrations and make threats to take their business somewhere else. They do not seem to understand that members do not work for B&N and can only give advice to help solve whatever issue they have. They are not looking for help but a medium to vent frustration.

When person A rants about the unworthiness of a product that person B also purchased it elicits a knee jerk reaction from person B to defend their decision to buy that same product.

Sometimes responding to obvious trolls is entertaining. This is where it gets carried away. You should have been on enough forums to have seen this effect before. It is not unique to this one.

Now go guard a different bridge you darned troll. :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

It's pretty much the same as when you are on a board about a television show & someone doesn't like an episode, there is the charge that the show has "jumped the shark" - using the term inappropriately.

Inspired Contributor
JohnP51
0 Kudos

"Every Negative Comment Is Not Made By A Troll" - who said it was?

John

"Books are for people who wish they were somewhere else." ~ Mark Twain
Frequent Contributor
ellsbells930
0 Kudos

JohnP51 wrote:

"Every Negative Comment Is Not Made By A Troll" - who said it was?

It is an observation.  Whenever a negative comment is made, there are people immediately shouting "troll".

Wordsmith
shilohMD
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

AlanNJ, eloquently stated.  No one can judge someone because of a negative post.  A Discussion Forum must always present both sides.

What plucks my feathers is when someone "seagulls" and never comes back. 

Watch out for "one-posters" who say stuff like "the nook is a piece of junk"..."everybody on this board works for B&N"..."sure glad I bought a Kindle instead of a crappy Nook"...etc.  And then they never (big surprise) stick around for a dialogue.

The Wikipedia defintion of a troll: "...someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion..."

So...don't be "provoked"  and don't feed them!!

As you say, "...A Discussion Forum must always present both sides.."  Trolls do not discuss.

"A bookstore is one of the only pieces of evidence we have that people are still thinking" [Jerry Seinfeld]
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

shilohMD wrote:

.....  Trolls do not discuss.

You have never seen a good troll in action then. :smileywink:

A good troll will start a feeding freenzy and keep feeding it from time to time. There is nothing funnier than seeing a blatant troll and 50 pages of responses.

Troll is actuall a reference to the action of trolling as in fishing. You are trolling for responses to see who bites. Its not a reference to the mythical troll that guards the bridge. The more repsonses he gets the better at trolling he is.

Frequent Contributor
re410
0 Kudos

I would love to see some rules put into place that would discourage this trolling.

We've all seen the user that creates a new account and immediately starts a new thread with a very negative view.  I suggest a waiting period such that new users can not start a new thread for 3 days.  I also suggest that the first post of any user be reviewed prior to it being seen by the public.  If it doesn't conform to the board's rules, the moderator can contact the member and ask them to resubmt it.

Probably not possible.  But it would be nice.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI

@re410,

I think you are overlooking the fact that this is a discussion board provided by B&N, about a B&N product.

How would you feel if you go to the manufacturers forum on any product you've bought, and the manufacturer won't let you post about problems you are having for three days, and then reviews your post for negative comments.

The manufacturer would lose my business immediately.

Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

Your 1241 posts make clear you're not a troll.  Trolls make one or two outrageous posts and sit back and watch the fun.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
0 Kudos

I've seen plenty of trolls with high posts counts on some message boards.  The very best trolls stick around and post often because they get a huge kick out of it.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

Gee, thanks Nallia, for giving away my secret... :smileytongue:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263

AlanNJ wrote: